• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham v Man U OMT***

I think on reflection that this isnt as bad a result because a loss is a loss, our play didn't deserve anything more. But the real test will be at home when last season we capitulated against manu, leading us to kick out Nuno and get Conte in.

With this group we won't be a dominating, all conquering force against the other top teams playing away, but we should at least not lose. Two losses now and chavs down our necks...

We need to get our momentum back immediately.
And it's all information for Antonio. Hopefully he still has 'it' and can make the necessary adjustments.

Really don’t like being proved right about what would happen if we played a 3-5-2 with those players but I thought tonight showed it completely. 3 CBs and that midfield 3 leaves us with no creativity. The only player who is going to create anything is Kane.

Absolutely.
I think it is a great system to deploy in game or as an emergency, but with Lucas fit, I thought he’d go back to 3-4-3 (to be clear I am no Lucas fanatic).
Ten Haag had it down. Press Bissouma, Romero and Davies, make sure there were no channels for PEH or Bentancur, force anything we did to WBs who are not ‘deliverers’…I was disappointed in Perisic first half as he had a few decent positions to produce quality deliveries and simply didn’t. Kane and Sonny could not hold anything which came their way. Ten Haag proved this was not his first rodeo, and IMO, outsmarted Conte.
It’s OK. We will bounce back I’m sure.

On another note, do you think we are maybe struggling to replace/continue the work Gian Piero Ventrone was doing? It certainly feels like Conte ‘might’ be struggling a little bit without him psychologically? It wouldn’t be a surprise. I am speculating of course.

As Roy Keane says, sometimes when you’re having a bad game and nothing is happening around you, you just clatter into someone to make your presence felt and see if it spurs people on.

Good ol’ Roy. Weren’t several of our players on 4 yellows? PEH being one of them? I’d have been pretty tinkled of if he just clattered someone and got a yellow to count him out for Sunday…

Conte is always getting outdone via tactics, yeah we have won a few but how many did we get battered in or geld on to secure the win? Its boring, brick and a lot of the wins have been fortunate.

Good ol’ Roy. Weren’t several of our players on 4 yellows? PEH being one of them? I’d have been pretty tinkled of if he just clattered someone and got a yellow to count him out for Sunday…
I'd be happy if he got suspended for Sunday, at least that way it would force Conte to make a change.

I've always thought he's brick. Even when he "plays well" his overall use of the ball is terrible.

We desperately need a new midfield enforcer, but until then I rate Skipp much higher than PEH and think we'd see that if he ever plays.

Same here, i think of him as hollywood hojberg - someone who looks good on youtube clips but doesn't do enough in the overall game. I think him, perisic and davies don't have the legs to track back and leave lots of gaps in the spaces they vacate.

Same here, i think of him as hollywood hojberg - someone who looks good on youtube clips but doesn't do enough in the overall game. I think him, perisic and davies don't have the legs to track back and leave lots of gaps in the spaces they vacate.

I think he has the legs, don't think he has the desire.
How many times does he lose the ball and just stands there as the play runs away from him, way too many for my liking.

I think he has the legs, don't think he has the desire.
How many times does he lose the ball and just stands there as the play runs away from him, way too many for my liking.
It's not desire or effort, that is the one thing he has going for him, his ability doesn't match that though.

Absolutely.
I think it is a great system to deploy in game or as an emergency, but with Lucas fit, I thought he’d go back to 3-4-3 (to be clear I am no Lucas fanatic).
Ten Haag had it down. Press Bissouma, Romero and Davies, make sure there were no channels for PEH or Bentancur, force anything we did to WBs who are not ‘deliverers’…I was disappointed in Perisic first half as he had a few decent positions to produce quality deliveries and simply didn’t. Kane and Sonny could not hold anything which came their way. Ten Haag proved this was not his first rodeo, and IMO, outsmarted Conte.
It’s OK. We will bounce back I’m sure.

On another note, do you think we are maybe struggling to replace/continue the work Gian Piero Ventrone was doing? It certainly feels like Conte ‘might’ be struggling a little bit without him psychologically? It wouldn’t be a surprise. I am speculating of course.

I don’t understand how they did this so well when they only played Saudi Sportswashing Machine a couple of days earlier.

Where did those energy levels come from and how did they nail that game plan when they had hardly anytime to prepare for us.

I’d like all their players to be drug tested.

We've passed through the empty space in the transition but never against a settled defence. Fair enough that's our game plan, play for the transition but we don't force the turnover like under early Poch or Klopp's gegenpress. We wait for a mistake from the opposition. If the opposition don't make the mistake like United tonight we haven't got a plan.

Conversely United played us perfectly, very much like Chelsea and Arsenal. Press high but let the defenders have the ball, let them try to play out from the back which is a shambles. Lloris, Dier and Davies are incapable of this. Wait for the brick pass, gobble it up and hit quickly. 3 at the back will become 5, forcing the the 3 CMs to drop in to try and receive the ball. None are particularly good with their back to goal or under the press, so the ball just ends up going back to the defenders. Rinse and repeat until United manage to steal it and get a shot off.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Like Conte says we need more transfer windows so we’ll just have to be patient and hope we have enough to get top 4 in the interim.

We deservedly finish 4th last season and then invested in the transfer window. To not finish top 4 this season would be a bit of a failure on Conte's part imo

yes, but the players would deserve criticism too, that’s three games this season already where the effort hasn’t been there

I have several issues with the manner in which we lost yesterday, beyond the fact that we lost.

Losing at Old Trafford in it self is such a routine exercise for Spurs, that it should not surprise anyone. However, to concede the game in such a manner without making _any_ visible effort to try to change the game, introduce _any_ new elements, or make _any_ adjustments once it was blatantly obvious that Plan A didn't work is nigh on criminal neglect by Conte.

A blind man, robbed of his dog and cane, could see that Bissouma was singled out. Manchester Uniteds front and middle pressed very high and tight on every one of our players, except Bissouma. Yet, he was the one who misplaced most passes. Makes sense also, force the presumptive least creative player to be creative, makes it easier to force mistakes.

Ok, so he was the odd man out, and he also failed to be effective as screen for the defenders. If we identified this already in the first half, why on earth didn't we do anything before 80th minute? It was obvious that we weren't going to dominate the midfield, so let us rather concede that, and convert back to the regular 3-4-3, or 3-4-1-2 as we eventually did and at least _try_ to force the game to change a bit? Or replace Bissouma with a player with different creativity, ie Skipp? It clearly could not get that much worse?

I'm concerned that Conte's stubbornness when it comes to "Plan A is right, we don't need a plan B. And those guys on the bench are not good enough for Plan A anyway!" will alienate players, and eventually become a huge problem.

Now. We lost at Old Trafford. Not a big deal in the long run. But we also capitulated at Old Trafford. That is a big deal.

We deservedly finish 4th last season and then invested in the transfer window. To not finish top 4 this season would be a bit of a failure on Conte's part imo
The main defence would be us having CL this season but I hoped a pre season, new players and more time bedding in his ideas would negate that.

City are a given so of the three places available it really could be a 6 way fight, Saudi Sportswashing Machine have the luxury of no expectations, Goons and United seem to have improved, Chelsea have a ridiculous squad and Potter seems to have slotted in easily and Liverpool's decline doesn't seem enough to write them off.

With a world cup in the middle, 4th would be a really good season imo. Early European exits for those in CL or Europa would give those clubs a boost too

Back