• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

He looked pretty average in the games he played for atletico but much better at Southampton

He is actually a similar player to Jan but is less silky and more blunt if that's a description

He reminds me of Cahill actually in the way he plays

What I can't understand is why we need him unless there are plans to sell others

What I would say is that he would improve the squad and arguably the first 11 if he settles in and plays enough

I think we are more likely trying to build a squad with some depth to allow us to seriously attack the Lge, EL and a cup.
3 senior CBs (Fazio, Verts, Ald) and two developing CBs that are good enough to play, but maybe not quite experienced enough to be consistent over a whole season yet (Died, Wimmer).

That set would also cover for a injury or loss of form.

The versatility is positive too. Verts can cover LB as an emergency, Died RB.
Davies and Walker both have injury risk associated with them, so we may need a bit of extra cover at times.

I think we are more likely trying to build a squad with some depth to allow us to seriously attack the Lge, EL and a cup.
3 senior CBs (Fazio, Verts, Ald) and two developing CBs that are good enough to play, but maybe not quite experienced enough to be consistent over a whole season yet (Died, Wimmer).

Davies and Walker both have injury risk associated with them, so we may need a bit of extra cover at times.

You might be right. But I hope not.

If we are to sign players at all, we must now sign players who are either a big upgrade on what we already have or who are players of truly outstanding potential. We have too many squad fillers as it is.

Versatility and squad depth are desirable qualities that both should and can be met by the academy and development squad. We have some seriously good players coming through. I really cannot stress this enough. We need to keep a path clear for them, not block it up with squad filler. Milos Veljkovic and Cameron Carter Vickers were the two best central defenders at the recent U20 World Cup. Either of them could do a job for us now as a fifth choice CB (and Veljkovic could also do a very fine job as back up in centre midfield).

You might be right. But I hope not.

If we are to sign players at all, we must now sign players who are either a big upgrade on what we already have or who are players of truly outstanding potential. We have too many squad fillers as it is.

Versatility and squad depth are desirable qualities that both should and can be met by the academy and development squad. We have some seriously good players coming through. I really cannot stress this enough. We need to keep a path clear for them, not block it up with squad filler. Milos Veljkovic and Cameron Carter Vickers were the two best central defenders at the recent U20 World Cup. Either of them could do a job for us now as a fifth choice CB (and Veljkovic could also do a very fine job as back up in centre midfield).
That's my concern too

What point is there in having a youth system if you don't use it, and we have shown that we do!!!

I'm all for signing players who will improve the first 11 but not for signing squad players unless their young with potential

Hopefully Dier and Vertonghen
That is what most would like, but in reality it is a pairing that as of yet hasn't been that big of a success. In fact, as a pairing Vertonghen-Fazio has been better. Although there are of course some big question marks on whether Fazio in particular can cope with Poch's system.

I'd assume Wimmer and Vertonghen..

Wimmer is a 22 year old with one year of experience in a top-league for a mid-table side. I don't know the player well enough to give a valid judgement, but on the face of it, it would surprise me if he can establish himself as one of our starting CB's this season already.

If we get Alderweireld then it'll be he and Verts with Dier and Wimmer playing in Europe and occasionally rotating.. But where does that leave Federico?

If Alderweireld does come in, someone has to make way. That would most likely be Wimmer on a loan or Fazio permanently.

The more you think about the purchase of Alderweireld the less it makes sense.

Quite to the contrary. It makes sense because we don't seem to have a pairing that works out in this system at the moment. Alderweireld spend three seasons next to Vertonghen playing a high-line, and trying to find the ball-playing solution. Still, I agree with those who claim it is not a priority, we do have quite a few CB's afterall, but it does make sense if it were to happen.

I'm all for signing players who will improve the first 11 but not for signing squad players unless their young with potential
Alderweireld probably would improve the first-11 though, that is the point.

Last edited:
Dont get this at all. We have 4 centre backs that are in the managers plans and 2 to sell and we are looking at getting another?? leaves no space for our own to come through the ranks as well.

The lack of appearances Fazio made in the second half of last season leaves me wondering whether he has a future at Spurs.

I think you can say for certain Verts and Dier are going to be playing a lot next season, but Dier still needs to develop his game, against the better sides he struggled slightly last year therefore I can see him being 3rd choice. We could be looking for a starter alongside Verts because in my opinion from last seasons showing after teams worked Fazio out we struggled to hold a defensive line because of his weaknesses.

And Toby can play FB as well as DM so he will be a big asset for us.

Are people forgetting that we looked poor defensively a hell of a lot last season? Verts really isn't a great defender, well he certainly wasn't last season and was the best of an average bunch - granted Dier showed potential.

I have no doubt Toby would be our best CB at the club....

Are people forgetting that we looked poor defensively a hell of a lot last season? Verts really isn't a great defender, well he certainly wasn't last season and was the best of an average bunch - granted Dier showed potential.

I have no doubt Toby would be our best CB at the club....
We were poor defensively last season IMO because our centre backs were often isolated against opposition runners. We can buy 20 centre backs and it won't change. We either need adapt our defensive play to change this or employ a top quality defensive midfielder to cover our full backs. Yes Fazio made several mistakes but he will hopefully be better after having had last season to get used to the Premier League.

We were poor defensively last season IMO because our centre backs were often isolated against opposition runners. We can buy 20 centre backs and it won't change. We either need adapt our defensive play to change this or employ a top quality defensive midfielder to cover our full backs. Yes Fazio made several mistakes but he will hopefully be better after having had last season to get used to the Premier League.

tickle my balls with a feather, our CM has more holes then a bucket with holes in. Our back four had runners coming at them from all angles while our CM stood and watched. Been saying all season that unless Poch does something about it the same will happen next season as well.

The lack of appearances Fazio made in the second half of last season leaves me wondering whether he has a future at Spurs.

I think you can say for certain Verts and Dier are going to be playing a lot next season, but Dier still needs to develop his game, against the better sides he struggled slightly last year therefore I can see him being 3rd choice. We could be looking for a starter alongside Verts because in my opinion from last seasons showing after teams worked Fazio out we struggled to hold a defensive line because of his weaknesses.

Fazio was playing again near the end. It was just Feb-April that Dier nudged ahead of him in the pecking order

Fazio was playing again near the end. It was just Feb-April that Dier nudged ahead of him in the pecking order

Yeah, but why did that happen? That was actually the most crucial part of our season and included our biggest game, the cup final vs Chelski...

Wow; i honestly didn't see that coming. I felt he was a good enough player but not priority.

Actually the more i think about it, it does still feel we are being used as bait for others....we'll see...

It is just a dude on twitter, but he seems pretty certain.

Also Mario Suarez has just followed a Spurs related account on twitter.

It is just a dude on twitter, but he seems pretty certain.

Also Mario Suarez has just followed a Spurs related account on twitter.

Now that is more intriguing...perhaps this could be what The Goat in the ITK thread meant by "two cabbages from the same Grocery"??

I agree the midfield didn't provide the best cover, but the CBs all made a lot of poor errors - I'm not just talking about Fazio either.

Can you honestly say you feel any of our current crop are that solid? I don't, even Verts can be bullied and I think Toby would be a step up and instantly make our defence more solid....

Back