• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

25 million euros is around 18 million pounds.... Which I think is probably just about exactly what Alderweireld is worth.

My only worry here is whether or not it is Fonte who is the best defender at Southampton and he makes his partners look good (i.e. Lovren's disaster of a spell at Liverpool).

25 million euros isn't much. If we can't raise a lot more than that amount from future sales alone, I'll be very surprised, and that's discarding the money from Paulinho's sale (which probably has already been spent on Wimmer and Trippier). In fact, I'd wager that, come late August, we'll find ourselves in a position where we'll have enough sales money left to to even pay out Ade's contract, should we wish to do so: and this while still pursuing some targets elsewhere.

Not that we should do that, of course. But it's not like Alderweireld is so unaffordable that we cannot even dare to look at him (while Saints seemingly can): we'll have a lot of money coming in, and although I still don't totally see the point in his signing, I'd prefer a good player Poch wants coming in now over vague assurances of 'strengthening the team elsewhere' later: that course of action reeks of ending up with nought but Karol Linetty, Bobby Zamora on a free and the customary large profit come September. :)

25 million euros is around 18 million pounds.... Which I think is probably just about exactly what Alderweireld is worth.

My only worry here is whether or not it is Fonte who is the best defender at Southampton and he makes his partners look good (i.e. Lovren's disaster of a spell at Liverpool).

so would you pay 18 mill pounds for Fonte?

Additionally, some S'oton fan over on Saintsweb claimed about an hour ago that HLN Sport, a Belgian tabloid (http://www.hln.be/) was reporting that Levy had flown out to Madrid for talks over Alderweireld: not sure about the veracity of that one, given that a search on their page doesn't bring up anything relating to Levy and Alderweireld, and their twitter feed isn't carrying that news either.

Kristof Terreur (@HLNinEngeland) twаtted this earlier this morning:

Tottenham are set for negotiations with Atlético over Alderweireld later this week. Daniel Levy is expected to fly to Madrid (via @hlnsport)

I'm not sure to be honest.... I haven't really watched enough of him to form an opinion. How old is he?
He's 26 - a good age to buy a defender IMO.

There may be something in that (Kompany taken as a reference point of assumed quality):

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...rors_leading_to_goal/cards_for_bad_tackles#90

I wouldn't put too much faith in the errors stats - it's impressive all around but the difference is between 0 and 1 across a whole season.

So...on...
21st June 2015 Metro (lol) report that Toby Alderwiereld told friends (who told the Times) that he is "on the verge of signing for Spurs"
Then on 25th June 2015, Telegraph report that "Toby Alderwiereld is hoping to move to Tottenham" and that "Tottenham are understood to be edging closer to agreeing a fee".
Now today we are "set for negotiations with Atletico".

If this isn't an agent going fishing, i don't know what is...

Whats more interesting is that we turned down Alderwield when he went to Atletico because we thought he was positionally poor - that was what all the news stories on this board were at the time.

2A2A9F2D00000578-3146997-image-a-51_1435831636739.jpg

physically he looks like a full back

Multiple slightly more reliable sources (chief among them Sky Sports, with an article on the subject by Lyall Thomas) now reporting that we're in the process of negotiating with Alderweireld's representatives in Madrid today.

I wouldn't say Sky is a great source really but good to hear nonetheless. Now they have just signed Martinez for £24.5m (may be euros not pounds) then I imagine they need some incomings.

Back