• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Oh yeah sorry I forgot about those opening 10 or 12 games of the season when he picked virtually the same 11 players each game.

So you want a coach to change every game like Tim, ok then I understand why you like him so much. Every good team I have seen the last 30 years have had an idea how they wants to play and stuck with it but I am probably old fashioned.

Well no he's not clearly doing far worse GB.

I do find it simply amazing that i haven't seen you been told to quieten down the continuous AVB talk seeing that this was exactly what happened when people brought up Redknapp when AVB was in charge. "No need to bring up Redkanpp", "can you stop talking about Redknapp", "why do you bring up Redknapp" were all questions thrown at people that would do that but you and BOL are allowed to bring up AVB in every single thread, at all times, without one person telling you to calm it down.

Wow, AVB talk really angers you doesn't it?

Personally I think it's fine to bring AVB up. Particularly when people had been saying the reason for some of the poor results wasn't just down to the manager at the time, but due to the massive scale of change the club went through. The fact that Sherwood has experienced the same problems completely suggests to me that not backing AVB when he deserved it was completely premature.

Seriously I can't understand the 'AVB had to go but Sherwood is rubbish too' argument. People are so obsessed with finding the magical right manager that is going to cure all our problems and it's the same attitude that is holding Levy back from allowing the club to achieve any sort of stability.

I've brought up AVB, but I've also defended Sherwood plenty of times and seen things from his point of view. I don't buy into the fact that he's a bad man manager or that he's tactically clueless or anything like that. I think he'd be a good manager if we build the squad in his image but I think the squad was built to function with an AVB style management and an LVG style would probably allow us less transition going forward after the summer and is probably the best move.

This whole season has been a complete mess though and while I don't think Sherwood is a bad manager, I think we simply should have backed AVB and shown some gut in doing so. And if Sherwood contributed to AVB's fall, he deserves massive blame for the cluster**** of the season we have had.

Levy out? I am certain our club will be in even deeper doodah if. he goes. Great to look around for scape goats when things are not right

So who else is it that keeps making these dxxxhead managerial appointments? Who was it that agreed to sign the cheques to bring in half a dozen journeyman midfielders in the summer to go with the half a dozen journeymen midfielders we already had?

Levy out? I am certain our club will be in even deeper doodah if. he goes. Great to look around for scape goats when things are not right

You mean like everyone making the scathing attacks on Sherwood, or those who made the same attacks on AVB, or those who will make the same attacks on the next manager.

One constant that is the problem, a group of players who don't give a sh!t about anything other than when the next 80k is being paid in to their bank account.

So you want a coach to change every game like Tim, ok then I understand why you like him so much. Every good team I have seen the last 30 years have had an idea how they wants to play and stuck with it but I am probably old fashioned.

We'll I never said I loved Tim. The first post said Sherwood never picks a settled side in comparison to AVB. AVB may well have had a system that he wanted to stick and that's fine but he certainly never picked the same eleven. He chopped and changed personnel every game.

Sorry you're right I shouldn't thought I was you for a moment.

There's a big difference between preceding what's obviously opinion with what ifs and stating something as fact which has no factual basis.

Wow, AVB talk really angers you doesn't it?

Personally I think it's fine to bring AVB up. Particularly when people had been saying the reason for some of the poor results wasn't just down to the manager at the time, but due to the massive scale of change the club went through. The fact that Sherwood has experienced the same problems completely suggests to me that not backing AVB when he deserved it was completely premature.

Seriously I can't understand the 'AVB had to go but Sherwood is rubbish too' argument. People are so obsessed with finding the magical right manager that is going to cure all our problems and it's the same attitude that is holding Levy back from allowing the club to achieve any sort of stability.

I've brought up AVB, but I've also defended Sherwood plenty of times and seen things from his point of view. I don't buy into the fact that he's a bad man manager or that he's tactically clueless or anything like that. I think he'd be a good manager if we build the squad in his image but I think the squad was built to function with an AVB style management and an LVG style would probably allow us less transition going forward after the summer and is probably the best move.

This whole season has been a complete mess though and while I don't think Sherwood is a bad manager, I think we simply should have backed AVB and shown some gut in doing so. And if Sherwood contributed to AVB's fall, he deserves massive blame for the cluster**** of the season we have had.

I just wish the rules were consistent throughout. It's highly annoying being told continuously to stop doing something but you and GB in particular are given a free pass to do the exact same thing at every opportunity. It's why AS doesn't post here anymore.

Actually it feels like there has been a reversion to AVB tactics. High line, 5 man midfield and replace soldado for Ade up front. Poor pressing in midfield, lots of pointless possession around the box and the ball over the top beating the back line over and over again. Throw in substitutions that choke our momentum and bingo it's like the grand master never left. Ironic really that the pro avb posters are criticising Sherwood.

That pretty much sums it up, although I thought after the initial **** storm we pressed quite well at times today

Of course not and it makes perfect sense.

A manager who won things using tactics, tries to replicate those tactics and install the system in the premier league and people back him.

Whereas a manager who changes system and tactics every week, has no experience and has therefore won nothing should be backed?

The similarity with him and avb is minimal.

AVB did not try to replicate those winning tactics. He went from a successful 433 to a 4231 and then to 442 when he got desperate.
AVB chopped and changed as much as Sherwood really. You never had a clue of which of Siggurdson, Chadli, Townsend, Lennon, Eriksen, Lamela or Holtby would be in the 3 behind the striker from week to week.

And lets be honest AVB won things not because of his amazing Porto tactics. It was because he had Moutinho, Hulk and Falcao in apoor enough league.

Well, I think the sad reflection on where we are and our current coach is

- if offered the 1-0 defeat two days ago, I'd have probably said yes then ...

You mean like everyone making the scathing attacks on Sherwood, or those who made the same attacks on AVB, or those who will make the same attacks on the next manager.

One constant that is the problem, a group of players who don't give a sh!t about anything other than when the next 80k is being paid in to their bank account.

I think the managers are to blame. Our attack has been predictable and defensive shape has been poor. I have to say that is the manager's fault not Levy's. IMO Levy provided a good enough team to challenge for top 4 most punters would have bitten your hand off at the start of the season.

you mean we did something well under Tim - careful.

Lol indeed. Today was a good performance for me to be honest after the first ten minutes. If we can play at that level for the rest of the season well pick up plenty of points. 4th is out of reach now but today is something to build on

Lol indeed. Today was a good performance for me to be honest after the first ten minutes. If we can play at that level for the rest of the season well pick up plenty of points. 4th is out of reach now but today is something to build on

Today was a funny game. Even when we've beaten these scumbags they usually have a lot of the ball and dominate us in the middle of the park so we are hanging on. Today they were hardly in it but we lost! That's because they know how to do backs to the wall defending (we cant-can you imagine us holding on to a lead for practically the whole match). We are also just not clinical in front of goal. I did see some encouraging performances though, particularly from Chadli and Naughton.

It important because Timmeh got the job, maybe even got AVB sacked, by wormtonging that he could do better. And he's clearly doing far worse.

I'll get over my AVB thing as soon as the new guy is announced.

Whilst I don't deny his (former) voldemortesque turn, Sherwood did not convince Levy to sack AVB. He didn't send songs of praise, but that was all about the breakdown between Levy and AVB which dated back approximately a year from the first fissure. What will be fascinating to watch is how Tim is about to be deserted by those with whom he held such truck. The reason? Levy's starting to get it. And when DL starts to get it, the incumbent (whoever they are) gets thrown to the wolves…

I felt sorry for the players for the first time in ages today. They genuinely looked up for it, all of them, even the ones who shouldn't be playing or starting, but the lack of tactical nous on Tim's part, and his awful subbing, cooked the goose. I even felt sorry for Rose, who was ONCE AGAIN at fault, but who must've been told to push forwards from the first minute?

I think whatever 'balance' there might have been in Levy's mind with regards to Sherwood has been 'corrected' to the point where he will make one decision this summer.

Sad days right now…summer is our last roll of the dice for another decade IMO...

Yes…and now watch the bigger fish swim away from the smaller one as it struggles to control the school...

Levy's problem has never been knowing when to pull the trigger, he is usually right too, sentimentality should be kept out of it- so I think the analogies are rather unfair. What he is not good at is getting the appointment right in the first place.

Last edited:

Great piece of writing

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/16/tottenham-tim-sherwood-arsenal-sound-fury

Full-throttle Tottenham fail to calm Tim Sherwood's sound and fury

At times during this furiously entertaining, furiously committed and often simply furious north London derby there was a sense of having being transported down some beautifully sunlit, early-springtime tunnel into English football's pre-modern recent past.

Not only did Arsenal win 1-0 at White Hart Lane with a George Graham-style tribute performance of deep-lying defensive resilience but Tottenham also produced in defeat a display of unrelenting, full-throttle, old-school commitment. They launched the ball long and early towards Emmanuel Adebayor in the first half and generally contributed to the nagging sense of watching a particularly whole-hearted Premier League match from some time in the early 1990s.

The paradox here was that the Spurs manager, Tim Sherwood, had accused his team in midweek of lacking spunk, verve, spirit, commitment and all the rest of it. Here, though, they produced a performance of relentless energy that, rather than reinforcing their manager's position as is the usual way of these things, seemed almost to undermine it. Spurs played like lions at times but were let down, if anything, by their own linear attacking patterns, producing on demand a harum-scarum performance in which they tried from first minute to last to blow the bloody doors off – when a little more craft and patience might have done the job better – while remaining hostage to the perilously high defensive line that led to the only goal of the game in the opening minutes.

On this evidence Sherwood has not lost the dressing room but is instead leading it very eagerly and at high speed down a dead-end country lane with a crate full of energy drinks in the boot of the car.

For all that, Spurs really did not deserve to lose this game. "I'm a winner. I want to win so bad. Anyone who's seen that game knows we didn't deserve to lose that game," Sherwood said, rightly pointing to Spurs' territorial dominance of the second half. And yet the fact remains that in the space of four days his team's season has effectively ended. Trailing 3-1 to Benfica and now seven points off fourth place, for Spurs and Sherwood it is realistically now all over bar what seems sure to be an incredible amount of shouting.

There was credit for Sherwood in the performance here of Adebayor who remains, when focused, a hugely talented, gracefully controlled, rambling beanpole of a centre-forward. Goaded continuously by the pocket of Arsenal supporters in the away corner, Adebayor leapt and wrestled gamely and with no little skill beneath the succession of high passes lofted his way from midfield and full-back positions. His first act was to hold off Kieran Gibbs by the corner flag and rag him out of the way with a swing of the hips. His second was to pull down a long pass in the right channel with a levitating kung fu pirouette. His third a pinpoint, 10-yard chest-off to Christian Eriksen.

And yet, as English football surely knows by now, things tend to fall through the cracks when the game is played at this speed and trajectory. Here Sherwood resisted the chance to play his best No10, Eriksen, in the No10 position, instead stationing his attacking left midfielder Nacer Chadli there, where the Belgian had a horribly ill-fitting game.

Chadli was presumably picked to play in the centre because of his greater speed and power. But he lacks the Dane's fine footballing motor skills, wasting plenty of excellent, hard-won possession in tight areas and displaying all the refined peripheral vision of a bolting horse. His game was summed up by an extraordinary episode at the start of the second half as Wojciech Szczesny twice spilled the ball under a high cross. Both times Chadli dithered and fluffed the opportunity.

Throughout all of which Sherwood appeared absolutely, inconsolably furious on his touchline, at one stage hurling his gilet violently in the direction of the home dugout, like a matador swirling his cape into the crowd.

It is tempting to wonder about this kind of thing. Talk quietly and carry a big stick seems like a pretty good motto when dealing with the modern elite-level footballer, but Sherwood takes the opposite approach, berating his players in public while bemoaning his own lack of apparent muscle within the club.

To their credit and his, Spurs continued to play with great energy against an Arsenal team who were out-hustled and looked generally low on gas, but will be hugely encouraged at this stage in the season by the degree of resilience shown.

The only goal of the game was brilliantly finished by Tomas Rosicky, one of several alarmingly clean and simple breaks in the first half of this thrilling, error-strewn, Sunday afternoon tear-up of a Premier League game.

Adebayor continued to menace both centre-halves. Chadli ran and ran. Andros Townsend ran and ran and ran. And for the final half hour Spurs battered Arsenal, albeit at a level of football where battering quite often loses out to fine-point incision and where – with Sherwood providing a non-stop display of air-taekwondo on the touchline – Spurs looked like a team very in their manager's image.

If Chadli could score from 6 yards with no keeper in the net, a lot of people on here would be singing Sherwood's praises.

If Townsend had opted to shoot from 6 yards out rather than trying to pass, ditto.

We look too open to the counter attack because Sandro thinks he needs to go belting up the pitch and helping the attack.

Similarly Kaboul thinks he should bomb down the right wing and "help". For me these 2 should be rock solid at the back, alongside Vertonghen, and let the others attack

Great piece of writing

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/16/tottenham-tim-sherwood-arsenal-sound-fury

Full-throttle Tottenham fail to calm Tim Sherwood's sound and fury

At times during this furiously entertaining, furiously committed and often simply furious north London derby there was a sense of having being transported down some beautifully sunlit, early-springtime tunnel into English football's pre-modern recent past.

Not only did Arsenal win 1-0 at White Hart Lane with a George Graham-style tribute performance of deep-lying defensive resilience but Tottenham also produced in defeat a display of unrelenting, full-throttle, old-school commitment. They launched the ball long and early towards Emmanuel Adebayor in the first half and generally contributed to the nagging sense of watching a particularly whole-hearted Premier League match from some time in the early 1990s.

The paradox here was that the Spurs manager, Tim Sherwood, had accused his team in midweek of lacking spunk, verve, spirit, commitment and all the rest of it. Here, though, they produced a performance of relentless energy that, rather than reinforcing their manager's position as is the usual way of these things, seemed almost to undermine it. Spurs played like lions at times but were let down, if anything, by their own linear attacking patterns, producing on demand a harum-scarum performance in which they tried from first minute to last to blow the bloody doors off – when a little more craft and patience might have done the job better – while remaining hostage to the perilously high defensive line that led to the only goal of the game in the opening minutes.

On this evidence Sherwood has not lost the dressing room but is instead leading it very eagerly and at high speed down a dead-end country lane with a crate full of energy drinks in the boot of the car.

For all that, Spurs really did not deserve to lose this game. "I'm a winner. I want to win so bad. Anyone who's seen that game knows we didn't deserve to lose that game," Sherwood said, rightly pointing to Spurs' territorial dominance of the second half. And yet the fact remains that in the space of four days his team's season has effectively ended. Trailing 3-1 to Benfica and now seven points off fourth place, for Spurs and Sherwood it is realistically now all over bar what seems sure to be an incredible amount of shouting.

There was credit for Sherwood in the performance here of Adebayor who remains, when focused, a hugely talented, gracefully controlled, rambling beanpole of a centre-forward. Goaded continuously by the pocket of Arsenal supporters in the away corner, Adebayor leapt and wrestled gamely and with no little skill beneath the succession of high passes lofted his way from midfield and full-back positions. His first act was to hold off Kieran Gibbs by the corner flag and rag him out of the way with a swing of the hips. His second was to pull down a long pass in the right channel with a levitating kung fu pirouette. His third a pinpoint, 10-yard chest-off to Christian Eriksen.

And yet, as English football surely knows by now, things tend to fall through the cracks when the game is played at this speed and trajectory. Here Sherwood resisted the chance to play his best No10, Eriksen, in the No10 position, instead stationing his attacking left midfielder Nacer Chadli there, where the Belgian had a horribly ill-fitting game.

Chadli was presumably picked to play in the centre because of his greater speed and power. But he lacks the Dane's fine footballing motor skills, wasting plenty of excellent, hard-won possession in tight areas and displaying all the refined peripheral vision of a bolting horse. His game was summed up by an extraordinary episode at the start of the second half as Wojciech Szczesny twice spilled the ball under a high cross. Both times Chadli dithered and fluffed the opportunity.

Throughout all of which Sherwood appeared absolutely, inconsolably furious on his touchline, at one stage hurling his gilet violently in the direction of the home dugout, like a matador swirling his cape into the crowd.

It is tempting to wonder about this kind of thing. Talk quietly and carry a big stick seems like a pretty good motto when dealing with the modern elite-level footballer, but Sherwood takes the opposite approach, berating his players in public while bemoaning his own lack of apparent muscle within the club.

To their credit and his, Spurs continued to play with great energy against an Arsenal team who were out-hustled and looked generally low on gas, but will be hugely encouraged at this stage in the season by the degree of resilience shown.

The only goal of the game was brilliantly finished by Tomas Rosicky, one of several alarmingly clean and simple breaks in the first half of this thrilling, error-strewn, Sunday afternoon tear-up of a Premier League game.

Adebayor continued to menace both centre-halves. Chadli ran and ran. Andros Townsend ran and ran and ran. And for the final half hour Spurs battered Arsenal, albeit at a level of football where battering quite often loses out to fine-point incision and where – with Sherwood providing a non-stop display of air-taekwondo on the touchline – Spurs looked like a team very in their manager's image.

Yeah, great article, sums it up perfectly for me.

The weird thing is that the U21 squad that Sherwood built with Ramsey & Ferdinand, played 4-3-3, played controlled possession football with a plan and a pattern and were great to watch.

I don't know if that was in spite of Sherwood, or down to Sherwood and he's letting the pressure of the job and a need to distance himself from the previous regime, get the better of him and prevent him implementing that kind of plan, but what I've seen from Sherwood is just Tony Pulis basic crap.

Its no wonder we get beaten by all the big teams. He's just so out of his depth tactically and emotionally, its cringe worthy to watch. Some of the crap he comes out with in the press is horrendous too. I mean comparing Harry Kane to Wayne Rooney, seriously?

Can we fire Sherwood? I just want to see some kind of sign that next season is going to be anything other than horrendous. This season has just been a massive ****-up.

Back