• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Exactly, football management is difficult, at the highest levels its extremely so.

Fans make exactly the wrong kind of decisions e.g. why not play the under 21's in Europa, why not give a completely inexperienced guy a chance.
THFC is a hundreds of millions pound business, while experience does not guarantee success, it certainly is a mitigates some of the risk.

Levy took a punt, it's failing quickly, the best thing he can do is stop it now.

Totally agree with this.

He is making early manager mistakes on a huge platform, something Strachan touched on last night. Its not like he is doing it under the radar in league 1 this is on a world scale

People seem to have forgotten how ABSOLUTELY FUKKING HOPELESS we were last season. Take Bale out and we were shockingly bad.

We finished 11 points ahead of Liverpool in 7th, with a worse GD. I'd put that gap down ENTIRELY to Bale. And I suspect that's an underestimation. Without him, AVB would have had a 7th place side. And that was after inheriting Harry's exciting/hopeful/excellent squad.

Really, the writing was on the wall last season for what happened this season, except that the Bale fig-leaf hid it.

I think Sherwood has been handed a much stinkier sh1t sandwich than most are crediting.

People seem to have forgotten how ABSOLUTELY FUKKING HOPELESS we were last season. Take Bale out and we were shockingly bad.

We finished 11 points ahead of Liverpool in 7th, with a worse GD. I'd put that gap down ENTIRELY to Bale. And I suspect that's an underestimation. Without him, AVB would have had a 7th place side. And that was after inheriting Harry's exciting/hopeful/excellent squad.it.

Really, the writing was on the wall last season for what happened this season, except that the Bale fig-leaf hid it.

I think Sherwood was handed a much stinkier sh1t sandwich than most are crediting.

Exactly, the football we're seeing now and the football we saw under AVB this season is just an extension of what we saw last season, only difference is we don't have Bale pulling out a worldie to conceal that. 11/12 we had a great team, 12/13 we had Bale, 13/14 we have ...

We finished 11 points ahead of Liverpool in 7th, with a worse GD. I'd put that gap down ENTIRELY to Bale. And I suspect that's an underestimation. Without him, AVB would have had a 7th place side. And that was after inheriting Harry's exciting/hopeful/excellent squad.

I think Sherwood has been handed a much stinkier sh1t sandwich than most are crediting.

Dude .. the guy is ****

Pool is garbage with Suarez, Madrid is nothing without Ronaldo .. blah, blah

Good management is using your best player to lift the team beyond the results it could/should get

Honestly, as someone who hires people for high responsibility roles, I never saw how TS made it to the interview far less got the job (same opinion I had re Moyes), and whatever inclination I had to "back him, give him a chance" went out the window with his rants and attempts to blame the players, talk about the opposition manager's class.

Let's be clear, he is paid to be accountable/responsible for the teams results, not Levy, not Soldado, not Naughton, one person = TS, and if he's both failing to deliver the results and failing to own the responsibility/accountability for it, he is so the wrong person for the job.

Dude .. the guy is ****

Pool is garbage with Suarez, Madrid is nothing without Ronaldo .. blah, blah

Good management is using your best player to lift the team beyond the results it could/should get

Honestly, as someone who hires people for high responsibility roles, I never saw how TS made it to the interview far less got the job (same opinion I had re Moyes), and whatever inclination I had to "back him, give him a chance" went out the window with his rants and attempts to blame the players, talk about the opposition manager's class.

Let's be clear, he is paid to be accountable/responsible for the teams results, not Levy, not Soldado, not Naughton, one person = TS, and if he's both failing to deliver the results and failing to own the responsibility/accountability for it, he is so the wrong person for the job.

Apples/oranges Raz.

AVB:
- Inherited a great squad.
- Walked into a buoyant, hopeful, ambitious club on the up.
- Had 2 full summer transfer windows and millions in spending + 2 winter windows.
- The world's most exciting player at the time on the books
- The complete buy-in of our board and Levy
- Oodles of good will from fans
- Two full pre-seasons
- 18 months of training ground work
- 80 games

Sherwood:
- Picked up after a sacked manager mid-season following several unprecedented trouncings.
- Had a single transfer window where nobody did any business and funds were likely not available
- Inherited a squad where only 1 of 7 new signings, Eriksen, is playing ok
- No prep time in mid season to get ideas across given games are coming so thick and fast.
- 13 games

Apples/oranges Raz.

Sherwood:
- Picked up after a sacked manager mid-season following several unprecedented trouncings.
- Had a single transfer window where nobody did any business and funds were likely not available
- Inherited a squad where only 1 of 7 new signings, Eriksen, is playing ok
- No prep time in mid season to get ideas across given games are coming so thick and fast.
- 13 games

Lets talk about it

- Team was still in a decent points position, and he got an early run of winnable games
- I actually hold the transfer window against TS, it was painfully obvious we needed at minimum a LB, can't understand how the guy who could force Levy to make him a permanent manager (not interim till summer which I' sure was Levy's first choice) couldn't make a stand on at least a LB cover
- His job to get more out of the players, and the answer can't be after Soldado actually scores to play Harry Kane in front of him (wtf?)
- We got out of the cups very early with TS, he's actually had more time between matches than any other manager in last 5 or so years.

And to the last point, yes it's been 13 games, but does anyone see anything that suggests there is light at the end of tunnel?

Because if the only answer is TS needs to buy 3 WC players and have a full preseason to work with them, honestly I'll give that to someone who is a bit less risk (i.e. an experienced manager).

I had actually written quite a long post that took in our games last season, and actually the ones that qualify as 'terrible performance, but Bale saved us' are actually not that much at all. No doubt there were some shockers - Wigan at home, Southampton at home was a poor one and that does qualify - but actually the idea that we were soooooooo bad gets taken way out of proportion.

why is having a good player who scores goals a bad thing?

Because when that's all you've got, you're not left with much when the player who scores all the goals isn't scoring goals(or is injured). The football was bad for the majority of last season, especially home games. Suarez is a good player who scores goals but he's part of a very good team that also has other players able to step up, Bale's team didn't.

I had actually written quite a long post that took in our games last season, and actually the ones that qualify as 'terrible performance, but Bale saved us' are actually not that much at all. No doubt there were some shockers - Wigan at home, Southampton at home was a poor one and that does qualify - but actually the idea that we were soooooooo bad gets taken way out of proportion.

I wouldnt say we were bad, we were solid. We didnt create. We didnt need to. Because of that we could concentrate on keeping the ball defensively.

Because when that's all you've got, you're not left with much when the player who scores all the goals isn't scoring goals(or is injured). The football was bad for the majority of last season, especially home games. Suarez is a good player who scores goals but he's part of a very good team that also has other players able to step up, Bale's team didn't.

here's a radical thought the transfer committee never considered, have 2 players like that, if you sell one, replace them with another one

I wouldnt say we were bad, we were solid. We didnt create. We didnt need to. Because of that we could concentrate on keeping the ball defensively.

Much closer to the truth

- Last season under AVB was the first time we held a strong midfield even against the top teams, we out possessed almost everyone, were very difficult to beat.
- We had the same team problem which was converting possession and even territorial advantage into goal threat, but Bale compensated for that by being able to make goals out of nothing.

Losing Bale has amplified the lack of a system to transition possession into threat, but didn't make us a bad team overnight.

No system, lack of consistent and poor team selections, poor tactics, decision to try and bed 7 new first team players have caused that (along with usual injuries)

here's a radical thought the transfer committee never considered, have 2 players like that, if you sell one, replace them with another one

Probably would have helped if we had spent the money on 3 instead of 7 players

I guess we probably hoped Lamela could be one of those players, unfortunately we decided the best way to get him used to PL football was by leaving him on the bench, now he has a never-ending injury.

I disagree. Bale saved us against Liverpool at Home, Lyon at Home, Sunderland at Home, Southampton at Home, QPR at Home, Southampton both Home and Away, WBA Away, Norwich Away and Saudi Sportswashing Machine at Home.

Those games are just off the top of my head. I don't just talk about the goals he scored or created in those games but the fact that he was pretty much the only real threat and all we seemed to do was give the ball to him and hope he would do something.

I disagree. Bale saved us against Liverpool at Home, Lyon at Home, Sunderland at Home, Southampton at Home, QPR at Home, Southampton both Home and Away, WBA Away, Norwich Away and Saudi Sportswashing Machine at Home.

Those games are just off the top of my head. I don't just talk about the goals he scored or created in those games but the fact that he was pretty much the only real threat and all we seemed to do was give the ball to him and hope he would do something.

West Ham away was the biggest one, what a performance, he laid three sitters on a plate as well from what I can remember(all missed #-o). Bale didn't have a great team around him but he thrived in being the one to take us forward, shame the likes of Vertonghen don't have the same attitude. That's what separates the real top players from the very good ones.

You can add Wet Spam away and Emirates Marketing Project at home to that list.

Much closer to the truth

- Last season under AVB was the first time we held a strong midfield even against the top teams, we out possessed almost everyone, were very difficult to beat.
- We had the same team problem which was converting possession and even territorial advantage into goal threat, but Bale compensated for that by being able to make goals out of nothing.

Losing Bale has amplified the lack of a system to transition possession into threat, but didn't make us a bad team overnight.

No system, lack of consistent and poor team selections, poor tactics, decision to try and bed 7 new first team players have caused that (along with usual injuries)

Good post.

I don't get it why some on here want to rubbish everything we did under AVB. The on field problem under him was that we weren't very good at scoring goals . Team morale ? poor defensively ? What else ?

Well in the past few weeks, I've been told that under AVB we played with a high line, which apparently is suicidal. Squeezing our opponents into their third of the pitch is a poor tactic and counter attacking is the way to win league points. Even seen and heard it said, that we passed the ball to much! Spurs fans spit on possession football.

It takes time to get the maximum out of players individually and also as a team unit, so comparing the win percentages of both AVB and Sherwood is a pointless exercise as results after 20 odd games of both their tenure's, shouldn't be what it's all about.

All that's going on here now is, face saving, point scoring nonsense by the want it all , want it now crowd, because short term-ism all they understand.

You can add Wet Spam away and Emirates Marketing Project at home to that list.

And I suppose that AVB was in no way responsible for getting that kind of play out of Bale? putting him in a formation where he could excel and also coaching him to get to that level. He just walked in an inherited an 86m player from the off didnt he. My Redknapp who said " i see his future as a full back" Who just played him out on the left. Cos there were teams clamoring to pay that exorbitant fee the summer we got AVB in.

Good post.

I don't get it why some on here want to rubbish everything we did under AVB. The on field problem under him was that we weren't very good at scoring goals . Team morale ? poor defensively ? What else ?

Well in the past few weeks, I've been told that under AVB we played with a high line, which apparently is suicidal. Squeezing our opponents into their third of the pitch is a poor tactic and counter attacking is the way to win league points. Even seen and heard it said, that we passed the ball to much! Spurs fans spit on possession football.

It takes time to get the maximum out of players individually and also as a team unit, so comparing the win percentages of both AVB and Sherwood is a pointless exercise as results after 20 odd games of both their tenure's, shouldn't be what it's all about.

All that's going on here now is, face saving, point scoring nonsense by the want it all , want it now crowd, because short term-ism all they understand.

You make many valid points, although I would say that much of the sentiment in these threads is borne from the gut-wrenching awful feeling of how close we were to breaking into the Promised Land of regular CL and all that meant (playing the likes of Bayern and Barca instead of Shamrock Rovers or Sherif). And what a mess the club seems to be in. We were soooo close for two or three years, and now we seem to have taken a massive step back and this season has not only seen all that turmoil but has seen us getting turned over way too many times.

Back