• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Sherwood Thread

From his history I'm pretty sure he's the one they go to.

I haven't been paying attention to who writes favourable articles on us, so I cannot really comment. I would be surprised though if we only had one on side journo at one paper.

I agree with you to an extent, in that Sherwood isn't as bad as is being made out, but can you explain the Richard Keys thing to me?

I think it's a pretty clear case that he is undermining the manager if he tells a prominent figure in the football media that 'the players are tired, over trained and unhappy with AVB.'

It was in the Sun, it was Richard Keys..... funny that people call the Sun a **** rag, they **** off keys and gray for talking ********..... yet put the two together and hey presto one of our own is a **** and has been undermining AVB.......

Yes to be fair, their overseas reports are great. Barney Ronay is a genius Wilson provides some interesting stuff. I don't rate Michael Cox too much but at least it's some tactical insight when the world is pretty sparse for it.

But their 'club correspondents' or whatever they are, the Hytner's, the Taylor's, I find them to be smug know it alls that try too hard to show they know what they are talking about when really they don't measure up to the Honigstein's.

I see your point (Hytner can be a bit know-it-all in his writing style sometimes) but honestly, I agree with milo here: most journos with Spurs 'sources' at the Guardian (there's definitely more than one) probably largely repeat what our press officers tell them, adding a few flourishes for dramatic effect like all journalists are prone to doing. It's a quid pro quo: they break an exclusive story and in return the club makes its feelings known without officially stating anything and hopefully gets a more forgiving reception from these particular journos and publications when the media spotlight turns on it again.

Do they act a bit grandiose and self-important when delivering said club missives to the public? Definitely. Honigstein and co. have their faults, but they rarely issue overarching commandments from the pulpit to their slavering readers, if you know what I mean. Their stories are far more nuanced, far more about romantic narratives and incidental facts leading up to the weekend's biggest results: in short, they provide the reader with a few background facts, then sweep in their overarching theme (underdog club winning, for example) and then ask 'now isn't that something?', leaving the reader to interpret it how he or she chooses.

But I don't see anything 'wrong' with what the likes of Hytner and Jamie Jackson say, per se. It's the club line, just not from club sources.

**** sake - Sherwood b2b Ferdinand. Thats the dream team right there.

Know nothing about Ramsay - anyone?

Didn't Ramsey "fail" AVB in his first coaching application? If so, maybe he does know something about the game after all ;)

I don't know why so many on here are so quick to write off Sherwood. If he turns it round quickly, great for all of us. If he fails, then we will be looking for someone else anyway. Surely, a win- win for us given that AVB is no longer here.

I see your point (Hytner can be a bit know-it-all in his writing style sometimes) but honestly, I agree with milo here: most journos with Spurs 'sources' at the Guardian (there's definitely more than one) probably largely repeat what our press officers tell them, adding a few flourishes for dramatic effect like all journalists are prone to doing. It's a quid pro quo: they break an exclusive story and in return the club makes its feelings known without officially stating anything and hopefully gets a more forgiving reception from these particular journos and publications when the media spotlight turns on it again.

Do they act a bit grandiose and self-important when delivering said club missives to the public? Definitely. Honigstein and co. have their faults, but they rarely issue overarching commandments from the pulpit to their slavering readers, if you know what I mean. Their stories are far more nuanced, far more about romantic narratives and incidental facts leading up to the weekend's biggest results: in short, they provide the reader with a few background facts, then sweep in their overarching theme (underdog club winning, for example) and then ask 'now isn't that something?', leaving the reader to interpret it how he or she chooses.

But I don't see anything 'wrong' with what the likes of Hytner and Jamie Jackson say, per se. It's the club line, just not from club sources.

Yeah I see your point too. I agree with it. I know why they do it. I just can't stand reading them!

Do you have anything to back this up?

I've done a Google search and it brought be back to posts by GB and Indianspur here last September. Here were the Keys tweets

[TWEET]252109876510208001[/TWEET]

[TWEET]252153237845712896[/TWEET]

Tim Sherwood eh?

So we have two pivotal Cup games in the next two/three weeks against big London rivals.

Immediate big tests; our season could go down the pan very quickly; Or Levy will get to see just how good ol' Tim is in term of coaching, training and tactical preparation...

Imo our season has gone down the pan

Yeah I see your point too. I agree with it. I know why they do it. I just can't stand reading them!

Eminently understandable. It's never nice to read a pompous missive telling you that what you know in your Spurs-supporting heart is wrong and what the mighty journo knows is indisputable fact, even when it only comes from an unrevealed 'club source'. but honestly, it's the way clubs deal with media outlets nowadays, so there's not much we can do about it short of coming into ownership of the club and instituting a more forthright press policy (a la German clubs).

But, I'd suggest that at present the gloating being done by the likes of Neil Ashton and Martin Samuel are more worth your righteous fury than pompousness from Hytner and co. :)

I've done a Google search and it brought be back to posts by GB and Indianspur here last September. Here were the Keys tweets

[TWEET]252109876510208001[/TWEET]

[TWEET]252153237845712896[/TWEET]

This is sort of how I remember it. Sherwood was wrongly attributed quotes. Wasn't there something about him simply being in a picture in the article?

This is sort of how I remember it. Sherwood was wrongly attributed quotes. Wasn't there something about him simply being in a picture in the article?

I've been Googling this to find the Tweets and remind myself on what happened at the time. Keys claimed afterwards that he read the story in the Sun and wrongly attributed it sourcing the story to Sherwood. Make of that what you will.

Back