• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Sherwood Thread

Seems like we're bouncing from one extreme to the other lately.

Whilst I disagree with the opinion that AVB over thinks football, I really don't think that the solution is someone who (from what I've seen on TV) is incapable of thinking.

it didnt impair Redknapp from 454 finishes in the PL.....we have a small stadium, a strict wage structure, we are at best a club capable of finishing between 4th and 6th in the PL. We cannot go any higher yet and it doesnt take something special in terms of coaching to help us finish between 4th and 6th.

so what matters is that we at least play football that entertains the fans. We have the players, we just need the right man to put the team together. I dont think that man has to be the brain of Britain

I have really, really come to dislike The Guardian lately. Their approach to acting like they know it all rubs me really up the wrong way.

I have really, really come to dislike The Guardian lately. Their approach to acting like they know it all rubs me really up the wrong way.

Like most papers it depends on the jorno. In Sid Lowe, Michael Cox and Jonathan Wilson being regular (if not exclusive) contributors they have some of the best around.

That Grauniad article is strange; for instance it says that Sherwood recommended Carrol and Townsend to Redknapp, but Redknapp would have known all about them already?

I am warming to the idea of Sherwood as interim manager as he is so well known at the club, i.e. the people appointing him must know him pretty well, so there must be some decent reasoning behind it.

Also he knows everyone so well, he doesn't need to learn anyone's traits, he should already know what he would do, and should have seen AVB's stupid decisions first hand (e.g. inverted wingers with no left back, or a high line with slow defenders)

Also if it doesn't work out for him, we can have a good old clearout in the summer and go for a whole setup e.g. 6 blokes from Ajax, ta very much.

Also he is cheap, rather than kneejerking and splashing £10m on someone to break their contract.

However... my faith in Levy et al is strained because I can't fathom why we continue to have Les Ferdinand at the club... he makes Sherwood look like Einstein.

However... my faith in Levy et al is strained because I can't fathom why we continue to have Les Ferdinand at the club... he makes Sherwood look like Einstein.

It must be Sherwood's choice to have Ferdinand as part of his set up. I think that there always an issue with coaches and members of the backroom team that it is virtually impossible for fans to get a clear idea of whether they are any good or not. More often than not they are judged on their playing career, preconceptions or how they look on the sideline. All a little unfair really.

I'm so certain that Jan gets ribbed by the other players for playing left back lol.

As for Sherwood, without meaning to sound negative, the article makes it sound like he is Harrys man/protege. Rings true with some of the other things rumoured on here. Still onwards and upwards, by the interview he at least knows what is needed out on the pitch tomorrow night.

Arsenal tattoo? where is the proof? He certainly is more of a yid than AVB

I pulled him up earlier on his constant lies and ****ging of of Sherwood .... i noticed he never responded. Ignore him, he's a troll who wants to drag people down to his view on life. I know for a fact that Sherwood doesn't have an **** tattoo on his leg, the rumour was started by Paul Merson years ago as a joke. Theres also a guy on here who saw him on hols ..... no tattoo. All this undermining managers crap and gutless as a player, is all ********, do yo think Levy would have someone like that in the club, everyone there respects him, do you think Levy would give him the keys if he didnt trust him, so what he had a bad game against Hughes, tell me many players who ever had a good one against him. I seem to remember him playing not too shabby in the 5-1 against Chelsea......guess he's forgotten that eh.

If GB had read the original article years ago when Tim slated Hoddle, he'd also remember that his comments were that the team wasn't a title challenging one and also that the board (Enic) should invest in the club, it wasnt always like this remember the first few years they didn't put any money in, not really until Arneson joined when they did the Share thing. Oh and finally one other thing Tim said in that interview was that he cared...... he was a fan as well......

Sherwood could have said no when asked to steady the ship, is it really worth it, unless you really care about the club would you bother? Notice on the vid he kept saying "we" ..... that will do for me!

I pulled him up earlier on his constant lies and ****ging of of Sherwood .... i noticed he never responded. Ignore him, he's a troll who wants to drag people down to his view on life. I know for a fact that Sherwood doesn't have an **** tattoo on his leg, the rumour was started by Paul Merson years ago as a joke. Theres also a guy on here who saw him on hols ..... no tattoo. All this undermining managers crap and gutless as a player, is all ********, do yo think Levy would have someone like that in the club, everyone there respects him, do you think Levy would give him the keys if he didnt trust him, so what he had a bad game against Hughes, tell me many players who ever had a good one against him. I seem to remember him playing not too shabby in the 5-1 against Chelsea......guess he's forgotten that eh.

If GB had read the original article years ago when Tim slated Hoddle, he'd also remember that his comments were that the team wasn't a title challenging one and also that the board (Enic) should invest in the club, it wasnt always like this remember the first few years they didn't put any money in, not really until Arneson joined when they did the Share thing. Oh and finally one other thing Tim said in that interview was that he cared...... he was a fan as well......

Sherwood could have said no when asked to steady the ship, is it really worth it, unless you really care about the club would you bother? Notice on the vid he kept saying "we" ..... that will do for me!

I agree with you to an extent, in that Sherwood isn't as bad as is being made out, but can you explain the Richard Keys thing to me?

I think it's a pretty clear case that he is undermining the manager if he tells a prominent figure in the football media that 'the players are tired, over trained and unhappy with AVB.'

Like most papers it depends on the jorno. In Sid Lowe, Michael Cox and Jonathan Wilson being regular (if not exclusive) contributors they have some of the best around.

Hey, don't forget Raphael Honigstein and Paolo Bandini, quite possibly my favorite foreign football correspondents.

The Guardian is up there with the best when it comes to football coverage, definitely.

Hey, don't forget Raphael Honigstein and Paolo Bandini, quite possibly my favorite foreign football correspondents.

The Guardian is up there with the best when it comes to football coverage, definitely.

Indeed. I like Barney Ronay too

That Grauniad article is strange; for instance it says that Sherwood recommended Carrol and Townsend to Redknapp, but Redknapp would have known all about them already?

I am warming to the idea of Sherwood as interim manager as he is so well known at the club, i.e. the people appointing him must know him pretty well, so there must be some decent reasoning behind it.

Also he knows everyone so well, he doesn't need to learn anyone's traits, he should already know what he would do, and should have seen AVB's stupid decisions first hand (e.g. inverted wingers with no left back, or a high line with slow defenders)

Also if it doesn't work out for him, we can have a good old clearout in the summer and go for a whole setup e.g. 6 blokes from Ajax, ta very much.

Also he is cheap, rather than kneejerking and splashing £10m on someone to break their contract.

It's strange and I think they use Hytner as a mouthpiece at the club to get their own messages across...so we as fans think 'Sherwood must be good! He recommended Townsend to our man Redknapp and look how he's done this season!'.....despite the fact that yes, Harry would have known them perfectly well already.

It also makes out that half the squad were 'worried about their place' when it is pretty clear AVB was rotating, and trusted a wide variety of players for the big games.

I admire Burt and Castle's reporting because even though they are positive towards AVB, their claims just seem to ring true and make sense, Hytner smacks of being fed the lines he is given. Not that AVB's camp wouldn't do the same of course, but as I said their reporting just seems to be more believable.

I agree with you to an extent, in that Sherwood isn't as bad as is being made out, but can you explain the Richard Keys thing to me?

I think it's a pretty clear case that he is undermining the manager if he tells a prominent figure in the football media that 'the players are tired, over trained and unhappy with AVB.'

Whistle blowing to me.

Yes to be fair, their overseas reports are great. Barney Ronay is a genius Wilson provides some interesting stuff. I don't rate Michael Cox too much but at least it's some tactical insight when the world is pretty sparse for it.

But their 'club correspondents' or whatever they are, the Hytner's, the Taylor's, I find them to be smug know it alls that try too hard to show they know what they are talking about when really they don't measure up to the Honigstein's.

It's strange and I think they use Hytner as a mouthpiece at the club to get their own messages across...so we as fans think 'Sherwood must be good! He recommended Townsend to our man Redknapp and look how he's done this season!'.....despite the fact that yes, Harry would have known them perfectly well already.

It also makes out that half the squad were 'worried about their place' when it is pretty clear AVB was rotating, and trusted a wide variety of players for the big games.

I admire Burt and Castle's reporting because even though they are positive towards AVB, their claims just seem to ring true and make sense, Hytner smacks of being fed the lines he is given. Not that AVB's camp wouldn't do the same of course, but as I said their reporting just seems to be more believable.

It's pretty much standard practice for press offices to give exclusives or feed lines/stories to friendly journalists. I have no idea whether Hytner falls into that camp but it is possible.

On Sherwood, I've been thinking further. Levy over the years will have met hundreds of managers. He would have interviewed a fair few with serious consideration. He has his own mind, for better or worse, and wouldn't give an important position at the club to someone he didn't rate. If AVB apparently nailed the interview and impressed Levy with all the managers he will have spoken to in his career, then he must have done well. Similarly if Sherwood is highly rated, we can kind of be pretty sure that within the game, he is. Levy would have taken his references, and he will have met enough football people to know how good someone is at this point. Baldini would be able to offer advice on that score too.

Maybe Sherwood is the one bright young manager that hasn't been snapped up by another club. He could be our Rodgers maybe. Maybe he combines Harry's motivation with modern technical methods? Could be good.

I don't think it has ever been shown that it was him. GB has alluded to a tweet that was deleted but I don't think that is a very reliable source.

It's pretty much standard practice for press offices to give exclusives or feed lines/stories to friendly journalists. I have no idea whether Hytner falls into that camp but it is possible.

From his history I'm pretty sure he's the one they go to.

Back