• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you'll find I'm one of the few on here without an agenda on certain players, I want them all to do well and that included Adebayor.

I was more poking fun at how some in our society in England today hate "posh" people so would automatically hate a double barreled surname person only to be confused if they were then actually more shall we say working class.

Personally I have a soft spot for seeing youngsters come through and want to see as many of our young players come through as possible.

So with him putting in better and better performances for the U18's and now seeing time with our U21's, are we thinking he's going to be getting a look in around the first team next season? I'm not talking about right away but, chances on the bench in the lower league cup games/early round FA Cup ties.

I only ask because I imagine he will want to see some traction in that direction given his progress. 18 in December IIRC?? Tied to a contract until the summer of 2017? Depending on what other clubs throw in his direction, we may need to think about giving him a shot in order to sign him on a pro contract.

Two worries for me that he picked up - The players being individualistic in their play and the talent funnel post this generation of U18s. I believe those are good points.

I too have something to learn from it. Perhaps in my own field, I am too comfortable and feel I know it all.

Interesting in the comments section that WindyCOYS posts suggesting that it was Onomah and not Edwards (as the article suggested) that was the subject of the 250k a year offer from City - the writer of the article confirmed that to be the case

Really interesting and insightful read. I can imagine Poch and McDermott having similar work ethics. He certainly does seem to rate Poch very highly. Also high praise that our Academy Head is being invited to speak at this type of seminar in the U.S.

I noticed one comment about parents of youth players looking for the best deal from a monetary perspective. I know someone who is a sports teacher at a London school who usually have a number of pupils at various London club academies. At parent evenings he will say to a parent "your son is doing well at sport but needs to pay more attention to other subjects" etc. Parent will reply "it doesn't matter because he is playing for <insert name of football club". Teacher replies "but he is not going to make it with them. He is good for his age group but not good enough to make it professionally. He is there to make up the numbers for those that are good enough to make it." Parent(s) invariably refuse to believe son has not already made it and is not an easy route to paying off mortgage etc.
It must be hard for the club to manage expectations not just of the young lads but of the parents as well. You'd like to think parents would be more realistic and would want to protect their kids from disappointment but that does not seem to be the reality (of course there are exceptions but this is just what the teacher I know comes across).

I just read that twice. What I would give to spend a day with Poch.

a919a1524171140d5677e207f465cc28.jpg

Really interesting and insightful read. I can imagine Poch and McDermott having similar work ethics. He certainly does seem to rate Poch very highly. Also high praise that our Academy Head is being invited to speak at this type of seminar in the U.S.

I noticed one comment about parents of youth players looking for the best deal from a monetary perspective. I know someone who is a sports teacher at a London school who usually have a number of pupils at various London club academies. At parent evenings he will say to a parent "your son is doing well at sport but needs to pay more attention to other subjects" etc. Parent will reply "it doesn't matter because he is playing for <insert name of football club". Teacher replies "but he is not going to make it with them. He is good for his age group but not good enough to make it professionally. He is there to make up the numbers for those that are good enough to make it." Parent(s) invariably refuse to believe son has not already made it and is not an easy route to paying off mortgage etc.
It must be hard for the club to manage expectations not just of the young lads but of the parents as well. You'd like to think parents would be more realistic and would want to protect their kids from disappointment but that does not seem to be the reality (of course there are exceptions but this is just what the teacher I know comes across).

Having worked for many years as a freelance FA coach the bit about parents is spot on, a lot of kids will believe what they are told and IF the parents are always going on about he is the next ( insert big name) then it is hard to sometimes get through to the kid about what he needs to work/improve on. I spent some time at the Norwich academy and the youngsters of 12 to 15 and at one time Norwich made all parents stay on the side of another pitch so as they could not shout and bawl at their kids during the session.

As for the articule is was a great read and the bit that says Young coaches now think it is all about the stats, their W/L ratio and their own ego is spot on in some cases, that also applys to a lot of fans as well.

Just been watching Barca Under 13 team and I think I've seen a future superstar in action. He goes by the unlikely name of Xavi Quentin Shay Simons. Watch out for him in a few years time.

This is a stunning and reassuring read.
I love the humility that comes across and the utter professional diligence of McDermott.

A number of nice little points.

I liked the little anecdote about Townsend's work ethic.

"Showed a roll of honour of the Spurs academy- the guys who did not quite make and players like Mason, Kane, Rose, Carroll, Bentaleb, Townsend would not be where they are without those guys and they are often overlooked but you need the boys that do not make it to make the ones that do and John is just as proud as every single one of those as he is of the players that do make it- these guys are not just cannon fodder- if Kane can score 30 goals for England then great he is capable of that but for others, it is still John’s job to make sure they are successful even if they are not good enough for the premier league."

"Poch wants 5 things in a player, technically good, tactically good, physically outstanding, mentally strong and faith- they have to believe in what we are about. A player must unconditionally believe in the plan, for example: If Poch tells Kane, run around that pitch three times, do press ups and it will give you a better chance of scoring, Harry is going to do it. Poch has the young players in the palm of his hand and the synergy that comes with that John thinks is amazing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back