• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

I see Kane has now come out and said that he will be disapointed if we do not win a trophy this season that make three of our players who have said similar over the last few weeks. Dier and Erikisen have said the same. Seems like those who say some players are more bothered about finishing in the top four then actually winning something are mistaken.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2806516/harry-kane-tottenham-staying-trophy-top-four/

1. who said that?
2. where in the article does it say Kane is more bothered about a trophy than he is top 4?

1. who said that?
2. where in the article does it say Kane is more bothered about a trophy than he is top 4?

(1) As per my earlier reply (If you read through the threads on here i am sure you will find a few, or go into the pubs before/after the game and hear some say it.) which you must have missed o_O

(2) He did not, he said ( with the other two players who have made the same speach) that the next step is winning a trophy, and as i have said earlier ( which you must have missed) i have heard some suggest that some players are not that concerned with winning trophys.

(1) As per my earlier reply (If you read through the threads on here i am sure you will find a few, or go into the pubs before/after the game and hear some say it.) which you must have missed o_O

(2) He did not, he said ( with the other two players who have made the same speach) that the next step is winning a trophy, and as i have said earlier ( which you must have missed) i have heard some suggest that some players are not that concerned with winning trophys.

so if Kane doesn't say he is more concerned with winning trophies than finishing in the top four how is anyone mistaken? it seems that its you that are mistaken, old bean ;)

i also haven't seen anyone on here say that the players don't care about winning trophies - the closest you could get to something like that is that winning an FA or League Cup wouldn't keep players here if we didn't remain competitive at the top of the league. which id agree with.

Seems a little straw man to me @parklane1

i'm sure you'll find plenty of fans who say that they themselves are more concerned with CL than the domestic cups (i'm one of them)

but i've never suggested to know how a specific player feels on the subject and i'm not sure I have heard or read anyone else doing so either

very different things imo

so if Kane doesn't say he is more concerned with winning trophies than finishing in the top four how is anyone mistaken? it seems that its you that are mistaken, old bean ;)

i also haven't seen anyone on here say that the players don't care about winning trophies - the closest you could get to something like that is that winning an FA or League Cup wouldn't keep players here if we didn't remain competitive at the top of the league. which id agree with.

Well Stop! Hammer time and not for the first time we will have to agree to disagree, old bean :p

Seems a little straw man to me @parklane1

i'm sure you'll find plenty of fans who say that they themselves are more concerned with CL than the domestic cups (i'm one of them)

but i've never suggested to know how a specific player feels on the subject and i'm not sure I have heard or read anyone else doing so either

very different things imo

You do like your straw man posts mate, do you have a little one sat next to your abacus like a get out of jail card. ;)

Players may pay lip service to the domestic cups but given they are routinely traduced by practically all PL and most Championship clubs through fielding weakened teams I fail to see how anyone can argue they are seen as anything other than a sideshow, a mere distraction to the main event. It's a disgrace but it's also the real world.

Yep. And thus it was written...

However it does show they are not infallible. It's still asking an awful lot for anyone to catch them. But it's not quite sewn up yet.

It is completely typical but as Spurs fans we should be used to it and therefore it shouldn't be that disheartening. From my perspective we need to forget about the league or finishing 2nd etc. Each game as it comes with the priority being securing a top 4 finish however that comes and trying to win one of the two trophies we realistically can win.

All I want from the season now league wise is: Best defensive record with hopefully 25 or less conceded (Big, Big ask, if not then 30), Unbeaten at home all season and beating our record points total for a season (both very much achievable). What position that leaves us, I am not really fussed as it would mean CL qualification again anyway.

It is completely typical but as Spurs fans we should be used to it and therefore it shouldn't be that disheartening. From my perspective we need to forget about the league or finishing 2nd etc. Each game as it comes with the priority being securing a top 4 finish however that comes and trying to win one of the two trophies we realistically can win.

All I want from the season now league wise is: Best defensive record with hopefully 25 or less conceded (Big, Big ask, if not then 30), Unbeaten at home all season and beating our record points total for a season (both very much achievable). What position that leaves us, I am not really fussed as it would mean CL qualification again anyway.
Not so sure about that. This season is turning out to be a bit of a freak the way the top six behind Chelsea are bunching up. Knowing our luck even 73 points might not be enough to to guarantee CL qualification this season.

Not so sure about that. This season is turning out to be a bit of a freak the way the top six behind Chelsea are bunching up. Knowing our luck even 73 points might not be enough to to guarantee CL qualification this season.

That would be our luck but I have to say I think we will be alright overall and actually think we will end up 3rd.

As fans I think we have a natural instinct, borne from recent years of bad experience, of dreaming of the best, expecting the worst, and then using those expected failings when they happen as a shield to protect us from the hurt of those failed dreams (i.e : told you we weren't good enough. Knew we would bottle it. We're just not good enough to compete. etc.). This is not a full on criticism of those views, it's natural.
You are right though, we shouldn't be disheartened after one bad result.
Top 4 is still very realistic. The title isn't wholly out of our reach, and we shouldn't take our eye of that prize altogether. We are still in a very good position. We have top 4 in our control still. We have two cups still in our control. That's a better situation than many of our immediate competitors. Of course, the more fronts on which we fight, the more pressure and expectation we put on the squad and ourselves. And we have those other targets you mention. Unbeaten at home in our last season at the Lane would be immense. Improved points is a good target, although not wholly illustrative of progress ( it's relative to everyone else).
We've still got a long way to go before the season ends, and a lot we can still achieve. Top 4 is achievable. A cup win is achieveable. Either would be great. Both would be beyond fantastic.
I've now gone full circle and am dreaming of the best.
COYS! It can happen.

I wouldn't care, though. 73+ points would represent unreproachable proof of progress, wherever we end up finishing. Accompanied by the FA Cup/EL, of course.

I think in the region of 77 points will be required to guarantee top 4. We should be targeting that as a bare minimum.

I think in the region of 77 points will be required to guarantee top 4. We should be targeting that as a bare minimum.

I think we will finish 3rd and get 75 points overall. The chasing pack are all bunched up but I definitely feel at least 2 of the other teams are likely to make a mess of more games than we will because we are generally a bit more difficult to beat. With Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project, you never know which sort of team is going to turn up and the could lose at home to someone like WBA/Swansea whereas we just don't seem to lose games like that although we love a draw.

The fight for what?

Out of all the clubs to have qualified for Europe 5 or more times during the Premier League era, we have the worst or joint worst record.

Never once reached a Semi-Final in Europe from 10 adventures, pathetic.

And no, before anyone starts, I am not an entitled fan, I know we need truly staggering sums of money to turn this around and we simply cannot compete with the likes of the Manchester clubs and Chelsea, we have the first team but not the squad. Toby gets injured, goes to sh!t. Danny gets injured, goes to sh!t.

Sadly winning trophies isn't the answer as I always thought it was, it really is much much more.

Another nice and early 'Cheerio Europe' from the boys, t'riffic.

Right, could someone remind me:)

If United win the EL (quite feasible) and are outside the top 4, what does it affect? Or does an English team need to win the CL as well.???

Back