• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

I read that as the players are now used to them and able to handle them rather than the intensity has dropped.

That's certainly how I interpreted it

Basically that the players are use to working harder under Poch than under previous managers

I read that as the players are now used to them and able to handle them rather than the intensity has dropped.

That would be my way of thinking, keeping your fitness levels up is easier once you get there then building them up in the first place.

Ah, sounds interesting. Can you elaborate more? I like the idea of methods evolving
Listen to John Collins talking about when he went to Monaco, from 13 minutes 30 seconds http://grahamhunter.tv/john-collins-understanding-risk/

7.30 start, run, breakfast, technical session, lunch, siesta, technical session, dinner, sleep for 10 days. Equivalent of 3 weeks training in Scotland. Huge amount of work but 'wonderful'. Keep listening for a few minutes, it is interesting to hear the difference between technical sessions and hard work etc.

After rounds 26-28 we were within 3 points of them. They lost to Arse, then went unbeaten rest of the season.

Title_Race.png
Thank you sausage. Is that from your personal Excel stash? There must be online versions with hover over, results etc.

When you think how spectactularly we fudged things up at the end of last season, does that mean we could still get top 3 or 4 and blow about five of our remaining fixtures?

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ay-pundits-pick-their-premier-league-top-four

We challenged the Soccer Saturday pundits to predict which sides they think will finish this season in the top four of the Premier League.

Chelsea are sitting comfortably at the top of the table, but just five points separate Tottenham in second and Manchester United in sixth, with Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal and Liverpool vying for the spots in between.

But who will make the top four and qualify for next season's Champions League? Here's what the pundits think...

Matt Le Tissier
I think there will probably be a stumble along the way somewhere for Chelsea but they should be champions. They've got a nice run but it's the time of the year where the struggling teams start to pull out results.

Then I've gone for Emirates Marketing Project and Tottenham plus Manchester United, who have got the momentum of a long unbeaten streak behind them. They're the team in better form and they've got players who can step up and win games, with Juan Mata and Henrikh Mkhitaryan now helping Zlatan Ibrahimovic by chipping in with some goals.

skysports-zlatan-ibrahimovic-leicester-manchester-united_3885407.jpg

Zlatan Ibrahimovic set to lead Man Utd back into the top four?
Liverpool just seem to have run out of ideas in the final third. Teams have worked them out, which Liverpool need to adjust to again and find a different form of attacking.

As for Arsenal, I think when you lose at home to Watford, who had only played 48 hours earlier, there's a sign that something isn't right there and they weren't in the same league as Chelsea.

Le Tiss predicts: Chelsea 1st, Emirates Marketing Project 2nd, Tottenham 3rd, Manchester United 4th (25/1 with Sky Bet)

Charlie's tips
Find out what the Soccer Saturday pundits are predicting for Leicester v Derby here.

Phil Thompson
It so tough right now and Arsenal or United could easily end up being second and third. The top four can change every week, certainly second, third and fourth and it's closer than ever before behind Chelsea.

I think Liverpool are having their blip and will come back. Everybody was getting very excited because Liverpool were on such a good run and in a good position, but it's maybe the right time to have a dip in form in the sense that they can turn it around for the run in.

skysports-premier-league-liverpool-chelsea-jordan-henderson-jurgen-klopp-embrace_3882376.jpg

Jurgen Klopp's side can respond to winless start to 2017, says Thommo
They have to learn how to be quicker in possession around the box, which is the issue with breaking teams down. Jurgen Klopp has got to go back to his best team that started the season, which is with Roberto Firmino central, Sadio Mane on the right, Philippe Coutinho left and Georginio Wijnaldum in for Emre Can.

It's fair to point out that I'm obviously a Liverpool man but when it's so tough to call I've got a back my old team.

Thommo predicts: Chelsea 1st, Emirates Marketing Project 2nd, Tottenham 3rd, Liverpool 4th (18/1 with Sky Bet)

Charlie Nicholas
I have to say it's getting tremendously interesting, if a bit tense for me. Arsenal always seem to do this and then end up in the top four. Yes, they are out of the title race now but I thought they were before the weekend.

As the form stands right now it's obviously Chelsea, then Emirates Marketing Project with the new superstar Gabriel Jesus, even if they still look susceptible at the back. Is he the replacement for Sergio Aguero? He is certainly providing the goals at the moment.

skysports-arsenal-chelsea-shkodran-mustafi-laurent-koscielny_3884780.jpg

Charlie Nicholas is alarmed by Arsenal's situation
Then I think Spurs will be in the top four. I'm not like some Arsenal fans in focusing on finishing above Spurs though. You don't get prizes for finishing above your rivals unless they finish second.

I think Liverpool have been sussed out and just aren't good enough at the back and I'm still not convinced United really have the right ingredients. They have improved and they were very good against Leicester but there's other times they haven't been quite as fluent.

I'm going to stick with the current four but I have to admit I'm really, really sketchy about Arsenal falling out. If I'm being honest with myself then Arsenal are in real danger.

Charlie predicts: Chelsea 1st, Emirates Marketing Project 2nd Tottenham 3rd, Arsenal 4th (18/1 with Sky Bet)

Paul Merson
I think Chelsea winning the title is a given. You've only got to look at what they've done to teams outside the top six, winning 15 and drawing one, and they've only got two more games against top-six sides left. Then their nearest threats Tottenham go to Liverpool next weekend so there's a good chance they'll be even further clear.

I'm putting Tottenham second though. I think they've got a very, very good 11 but I worry if Harry Kane got injured for a long period that neither Vincent Janssen or Heung-Min Son would do a job up front. In third place I'm going Emirates Marketing Project, who I think have got too much in attack to miss out.

skysports-harry-kane-mauricio-pochettino-tottenham_3869956.jpg

Harry Kane crucial to Tottenham's hopes, says Merse
Then it can really come down to luck, especially if things are still this tight come the final five games. It's hard to read too much into the fixtures right now as you could be playing a team with nothing to play for while your rivals are against a side fighting for their lives.

I'm going for Manchester United in fourth though as I think Jose Mourinho has got them going and I've said from day one Mkhitaryan is a fantastic player, so having him firing is a huge boost.

I think Liverpool and Arsenal will end up with bad seasons, but it can all change. You could ask me next week and Liverpool have beaten Tottenham, Emirates Marketing Project have dropped points at Bournemouth and Arsenal hammer Hull 4-0 and all of the sudden it's a different picture. It's such a hard one to call right now.

Merse predicts: Chelsea 1st, Tottenham 2nd, Emirates Marketing Project 3rd, Manchester United 4th (18/1 with Sky Bet)

I just love the fact that our first 11 is so so strong. I started watching Spurs live in the early 80s when we were really exciting (Waddle, Hoddle etc). Then the tedium of the 90s and the nadir of the flimsy midfield of Ghod's second season.....since when we have had the warmth of the Jol years, the exhilaration of the Rednapp years and a steadily rising curve. Wonderful ... next stage is to win a trophy or two with Pochetino and really be back in the elite. Not necessarily a pipedream.

An item in today's i shows that this time last year Leicester bricky were top of the League with the following record:

P24 - W14 D8 L2 - Pts 50.

It just so happens that's identical to our record right now. Plus we have a vastly superior GD (+30) to what Leicester had then (+18). But of course we are 2nd and a whopping nine points behind the current leaders.

Wouldn't you just know it.

An item in today's i shows that this time last year Leicester brickty were top of the League with the following record:

It just so happens that's identical to our record right now. Plus we have a vastly superior GD (+30) to what Leicester had then (+18). But of course we are 2nd and a whopping nine points behind the current leaders.

Off topic, it's lovely to see what a terrible season Leicester are having. Relegation's too good for them.

An item in today's i shows that this time last year Leicester brickty were top of the League with the following record:

Well hopefully we are in a position to capitalise the next time the bar is set so low...

The previous occasion we could've been top of the league with only 50pts after 24 games was way back in 2001/02, when ManU were 1st despite a meagre record of W14 D3 L7

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?co=1&se=10&mw=1-22&ha=-1

Unfortunately it took us until week 37 to rack up 50pts that campaign though.

Wouldn't Chelsea rack up a record points total at this rate too with 95?

And actually it's probably a higher run rate if you take the last 10 games in siloation as their averaging 2.7 points per game

me and a pal (canning town bingo club fan) were discussing best prem 11 in a 3-4-3 (flavor of the month formation). He ended up picking Lloris, all our back 3, Rose, Walker, Dembele and a toss up between Wanyama and Kante which is fair. Had no room for our forward players but just goes to show how strong we are starting 11 wise when a rival fan picks over half the team of our players....

C37V4DEWIAEE720.jpg

https://experimental361.com/2017/02/06/point-spread-gifs-premier-league-5-feb-2017/
Chelsea unsurprisingly look pretty comfortable. The only Premier League teams to have more points at this stage of a season were their 2004/05 and 2005/06 selves (61 and 63 respectively) – the first two campaigns of the Jose Mourinho era.

Everyone else down to Mourinho’s current employers Man Utd have a points tally better than at least one previous title winner (Arsenal’s 44 in 1997/98), which highlights how close the top four battle will surely be.

Only three of the five teams falling in behind Chelsea can qualify for the Champions League, but all of them have a points tally better than the average fourth-placed finisher tends to have at this stage, so two teams look set to be feeling hard done by in May.

Even West Brom claiming a top four spot wouldn’t be without precedent as things stand: Leeds had 35 points at this stage in 2000/01 but ended up in fourth place.

I don't think you'd have any problem finding players who care more about making money than any cup trophies and thinks playing in the CL is the pinnacle of everything. Finishing in the top 4 is just a means to that end.

If you read through the threads on here i am sure you will find a few, or go into the pubs before/after the game and hear some say it.

What has been said a lot more often at least is that being in the CL (finishing in the top 4) makes it easier to attract good players.

Kane is quite clear that winning a trophy alone is not enough. Not being in the top 4 would be a disappointment, even if we win a trophy.

He's also very clear that the most important thing for him is that the club is moving forward. Qualifying for the Champions League twice in a row would be a pretty clear sign of the club moving forward I would say. Cup trophies come down to quite a bit of luck. Getting the right draw, that one instance in that one game that swings a single game your way, all games being just as decisive so no room for slip-ups. A much clearer sign of that than a trophy for me at least.

Back