• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Olympic Thread

I've often though why not build a national centre for athletics and sport somewhere in the countryside with full facilities and accommodation etc. Similar to what they have done for the football centre.

Would cost a load to build but would be fantastic long term.

I cant see it happening though as we will be expected to use the new facilities at the olympic park

I've often though why not build a national centre for athletics and sport somewhere in the countryside with full facilities and accommodation etc. Similar to what they have done for the football centre.

Would cost a load to build but would be fantastic long term.

I cant see it happening though as we will be expected to use the new facilities at the olympic park

There are loads of facilities all over the country......it's all about getting kids into sports and then having the right coaching in place as part of a co-ordinated pyramid that funnels talent into a coherant programme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Charles_Centre_for_Sport

This place in Leeds is quality....the facilities ARE there.

It was announced during the live Saturday night draw show on 30 March 2007 that The National Lottery has so far raised £20 billion (US$39.2 billion) for 'good causes', a programme which distributes money via grants. 28% of lottery revenue goes towards the fund, along with all unclaimed prizes. Additionally, 12% goes to the state. The prize fund is 50% of revenue, with the remaining 10% going towards running costs and profits for the lottery organisers and ticket sellers.

The distribution of money to 'good causes' is not the responsibility of the operator (Camelot). It is the responsibility of The National Lottery Distribution Fund (NLDF), administered by the government Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Currently 18% each is given to arts, sports and heritage via government agencies and the remaining 46% is given to charitable, health, education and environment causes by the Big Lottery Fund.[21]

The Heritage Lottery Fund was set up by the government in 1994 to provide money for "projects involving the local, regional and national heritage". The fund come from the money raised by the National Lottery's 'Good Causes'.[22] Since 1994, the Heritage Lottery Fund has given grants totalling approximately £4 billion to more than 26,000 projects.[22]

In 2004 on the 10th anniversary of the National Lottery, the National Lottery Awards were instituted as an annual event to provide recognition of the work of Lottery funded projects around the UK. Certain projects are selected as the best in particular categories. The trophies were designed and produced by Gaudio Awards.

Compared to other major lotteries around the world, the National Lottery distributes more to good causes both in terms of actual revenue and percentage of their earnings.

I say we have a more transparent process here.

Ginolius seems to think GG is his own personal forum......so watch your step........remember, your opinion mustn't EVER insult anyone!! Especially not self-styled SS internet police!!! :)

Ah the irony :)You just don't know when to stop do you, you get a minor infraction for something which was agreed upon by every single mod who saw it, but of course you the great Leeds spur can't be at fault, it must be a conspiracy from the evil power hungry mod that issued it, of course :rolleyes:

Now you may think that `we` should have a more transparent process here, but last time I checked scara ran this forum and most people are here because they like it, after all there are plenty of other options with many different styles of moderation. Generally its agreed we're pretty generous with what we allow here, and the only people who seem to take issue with the moderation are those that constantly break the rules and want their own.

Now not being the crazy dictator you seem to take me for I won't instantly slap another medium infraction on you for the obvious rule violation, what I shall do, like we always do, is see what the other mods think of this and then act on it. You can find out the exciting conclusion later on, when these posts can be deleted and the topic at hand can be returned to.

Not to make this party political....but the Lottery was a Tory policy! :) And the funding for sports was introduced by them! :)

I like the idea of centralising pools of talent, that what Cycling already do in Manchester for instance.

But I would have them spread around....why have everything in London where the cost of living and expenses is the gighest in the country?

Mainly because they already have the Olympic village to house several thousand, like Uni dorms. Also there is more money in London to fund them.

You can still use the local areas, which as you say could be part of the trickle down/pyramid, like when UK Sports went out looking for cyclists and looked all over the country.. for school kids in clubs that fit the profile, the womens team pursuit was just that, people from nowhere.

Mainly because they already have the Olympic village to house several thousand, like Uni dorms. Also there is more money in London to fund them.

You can still use the local areas, which as you say could be part of the trickle down/pyramid, like when UK Sports went out looking for cyclists and looked all over the country.. for school kids in clubs that fit the profile, the womens team pursuit was just that, people from nowhere.

The village will be sold off as social housing and private apartments I believe.

Ah the irony :)You just don't know when to stop do you, you get a minor infraction for something which was agreed upon by every single mod who saw it, but of course you the great Leeds spur can't be at fault, it must be a conspiracy from the evil power hungry mod that issued it, of course :rolleyes:

Now you may think that `we` should have a more transparent process here, but last time I checked scara ran this forum and most people are here because they like it, after all there are plenty of other options with many different styles of moderation. Generally its agreed we're pretty generous with what we allow here, and the only people who seem to take issue with the moderation are those that constantly break the rules and want their own.

Now not being the crazy dictator you seem to take me for I won't instantly slap another medium infraction on you for the obvious rule violation, what I shall do, like we always do, is see what the other mods think of this and then act on it. You can find out the exciting conclusion later on, when these posts can be deleted and the topic at hand can be returned to.

Blimey - it's really gone to your head hasn't it!! :)

Have you seriously received an infraction for Team GB gloating?

Yes! :)

I wasn't even informed at first, just told I had a violation, then this!

For your posts in the Olympic thread,only a minor infraction but as much as I'm all for gloating about sporting prowess, constantly insulting all Australian's, carrying on without provocation and then telling someone to go away when they tell you to give it a rest is beyond what's acceptable.

Tweddle looks in trouble here....the standard is superb

She hangs on. A great shame she couldn't stick the landing. That step was huge and might be the difference between gold.

Anyhow, four medals in gymnastics is amazing. We used to be doing well to get one or two gymnasts into the Olympics, let alone finals or medals.

How come I didn't get infracted for posting photos of the union flag above the Aussie and kiwi flags?

I think someone has an anti Leeds agenda

I think it was the difference they said it's worth 0.3 so she would have got Gold, she seems happy enough and has been a great ambassador for the sport when we were doing brick!!

How come I didn't get infracted for posting photos of the union flag above the Aussie and kiwi flags?

I think someone has an anti Leeds agenda

They all do mate!! :) Leeds vs The World!! :)

I don't care....always happy to prick the pompous bubble.

I know i've overstepped the mark before with personal statements, they are out of order and I deserve the shoeing.

But slagging aussies off in a generic way? fudging gonads IMO.

But hey ho! It's been nice sharing views!! No doubt they are looking at this thread as I type this message all agreeing what a qunt I am and that I must be silenced. We are a democracy after all! :)

Back