• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
james-milner-england-big.jpeg

Exactly. Most could see our squad looked thin/poor. Roy played a tactic that maybe got us as far as possible. With a run in of italy,germany,spain to be able to lift the trophy, im sorry but sh*t like that aint gonna happen (unless you're chelsea or greece04)

I think roys done good in the short time he has had, and his best quality is the way he deals with the media, he knows their games inside out but will still give them something worthwhile to print.

You've got to give him a full run at another tournament, just a shame its brazil 14, as thats a tough one.

I don't, and I think that is the biggest danger coming out of this tournament.

- While a QF exit on penalties to Italy is not a shame, it's the squad selection, tactics and lack of ambition that should concern everyone

Roy fudged up with the team selection to begin with

- He should have swallowed a little pride and called Carrick/Richards personally and asked them to play
- 6 players from the worst Pool side in decades?
-Terry/Rio issue was a case of backing the wrong person

Big issue I have is with his zonal, give posession to the opponent play

- Why play Parker if he isn't allowed to go break up the play in opponent midfield, basically all Pirlo had to do was drop 10 yards back and nobody pressured him.
- You take Walnutt/AOC/Young and have no descernable plan to get the ball wide to them?

Again, it's the games against lesser sides that have totally sold me against Roy

- England may not be Spain/Germany/Portugal, but Hart/Rooney/Gerrard are very good players and the remaining players are decent.

Roy manages this side like it's a fudging league 2 side or a country without a professional football league.

A line needs to be drawn through Milner and Young's names. Neither has the temperment to excell at major tournaments. Look at Young, the weak prick was looking for the oxygen bottle after twenty minutes. Milner? How is he even a premier league player? I'm not convinced by Hart either, crap positioning nearly let in a soft goal in the first four minutes and again in extra time, when once again the upright came to his rescue. I suppose he will do, until someone better comes along. Walcott and Henderson, did they even touch the ball when they came on? We will need to unearth some serious talent to replace these bottlers and the aging players who remain from previous campaigns. BTW, Rooney is a very limited player and it takes an international tourney such as this for people to really see his true level, when compared to real world class players.

We are once again talking about our inability to keep the ball. Why was a player like Leon Britton not considered for selection? He plays a vital role in a team who keep the ball better than anyone in the league, and he's English!

I went to watch my mate's cup final a few weeks ago. It was a typical Sunday league game, teams looking to get the ball forward as quickly as possible with no emphasis on passing. Both teams poor on the ball. You don't get any time on the ball at all! And there were of course many outrageous challenges, which eventually led to 3 players being sent off!

We are once again talking about our inability to keep the ball. Why was a player like Leon Britton not considered for selection? He plays a vital role in a team who keep the ball better than anyone in the league, and he's English!

I went to watch my mate's cup final a few weeks ago. It was a typical Sunday league game, teams looking to get the ball forward as quickly as possible with no emphasis on passing. Both teams poor on the ball. You don't get any time on the ball at all! And there were of course many outrageous challenges, which eventually led to 3 players being sent off!

He doesn't get hyped up by the media...

Let's be honest,Parker is a decent player,but when you hear the commentators talking about him you would think he is the best midfielder in the world sometimes.If Sandro was english,the media would be calling him "the next Roy Keane"

My ratings for the tournament:

Hart 7

Johnson 6
Lescott 7
Terry 8
Cole 5

Milner 5
Young 4
Walcott 6
Parker 7
Gerrard 8
Chamberlain 6.5
Henderson 5

Rooney 5
Welbeck 6
Defoe 6
Carroll 6

Roy 7

As others have mentioned, what chance do you have when your best players stinks the place out? I think Ashley Cole is getting away lightly too. People are saying he played well because of his reputation, his performances were quite bad to tell the truth. Young by far our worst player.

Last edited:
Over the past 8 years I've been growing increasingly disinterested with England. After each of our tournament exits during this period I've always ranted about our inability to keep the ball, our insistence on shoe-horning the best individuals into the same starting XI at the expense of picking the best players for the TEAM, etc etc etc. When debating line-ups/tactics with colleagues I would always say that I didn't really care, but it was evident that deep down I did care, because it used to make me angry. I have now come to the conclusion that I have finally reached the point where I genuinely do not care.

I watched the England v Ukraine game and didn't celebrate when we scored. I watched the match pretty much as a neutral who wasn't too bothered if we won lost or drew. I thought, maybe I'll be more excited watching us play a big team like Italy, in a knock out match. However, once again I watched the game last night and didn't get excited when we came close, didn't get nervous when they came close, didn't get irritated by any poor refereeing decisions or play-acting. Then came the acid test for my support for my nation, the penalty shoot out. Surely that would get my heart racing, and deep down I would think, OK this is where it gets exciting.

Sadly not, I watched the shoot out and felt nothing. My heart rate didn't increase, I didn't feel a thing when they missed their pen, or indeed when we missed ours. I have mixed feelings about all of this, on the one hand I'm glad that as well as having to suffer with Spurs I no longer have to suffer with England, but I'm also slightly saddened by the fact that I'm not the patriotic national team supporter that I once was. Still, it's England's fault that this has happened. Years of brick football, played by average players (many of who are absolute ****s) has made me turn my back on the national team.

Thanks a lot England, I can now get on with my life and enjoy international tournaments as a pure neutral without having to waste my time and hopes on you.

I know you don't get much time as international manager, but..... Rodgers proved you can get very average players passing the ball around and keeping possession (There was a much greater difference in quality between Swansea players and the top sides of the PL, than England players compared to Italy players last night for example). I don't think anyone's under any illusions that England have a pretty poor group of players to choose from at the moment, but there's ways to set out your team and with the squad Hodgson picked he'd set out his stall to play in the 1980's style football we saw in this tournament. It just didn't have to be that way IMO.

I don't, and I think that is the biggest danger coming out of this tournament.

- While a QF exit on penalties to Italy is not a shame, it's the squad selection, tactics and lack of ambition that should concern everyone

Roy fudged up with the team selection to begin with

- He should have swallowed a little pride and called Carrick/Richards personally and asked them to play -in the starting 11?
- 6 players from the worst Pool side in decades?
-Terry/Rio issue was a case of backing the wrong person - morally i agree but terry played very well and i can see his thought process with partnering up with cahill (before face smash), and rio is likely to shy off with an inj.

Big issue I have is with his zonal, give posession to the opponent play - a lot of managers when they come in to stabilise things (or presume the team is not the best) starting point is making the team solid 'hard to beat' - its all a bit boring i know

- Why play Parker if he isn't allowed to go break up the play in opponent midfield, basically all Pirlo had to do was drop 10 yards back and nobody pressured him. - agreed. to stuck in the system
- You take Walnutt/AOC/Young and have no descernable plan to get the ball wide to them? -you know we have fallen when we start putting our faith in average players like walnutt

Again, it's the games against lesser sides that have totally sold me against Roy

- England may not be Spain/Germany/Portugal, but Hart/Rooney/Gerrard are very good players and the remaining players are decent.

Roy manages this side like it's a fudging league 2 side or a country without a professional football league. give him more than 6 weeks, you're like those italian nutcases running QPR (only joking)

The only danger coming out of this tournament is people failing to see the pattern that emerged long ago. we have had much better squads before but the cycle is the same. Just detatch yourself.

if people were so patriotic they would follow the rugby, cricket, teams etc just as passionately.

its football you love. football is tottenham

Klinsmania in his post #2387 sums up my feelings towards the national team and I like the posts of IndianSpur & Gazza Dazzla with regards to the passing game . There are plenty of English/British managers who believe in the passing game but when their teams come up against quality opposition who have the ability to pressure their players with the ball , all to often their players resort to booting it up field or passing it back to the goalkeeper . John Terry must have the stats for the most back passes to the goalkeeper in this tourney.

IMO, way to many British managers are wrongly lauded for their passing game theories as they don't truly have the nous to create teams that will not abandon the principles of ball retention when put under pressure.

I wonder if England selection is more about raising the profile of certain players and players from certain clubs. If you play for the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool or United you get picked regardless of form so the FA can have their poster boys.

I think there is an element of that for sure although the best clubs should by definition have some of the best players.

But I do wonder why Henderson, Downing And Oxade were there and would they have been if they were still at Sunderland, Middelsborough and Southampton? I don't think so.

amar singh ‏@amarjourno
Van der Vaart, Huntelaar and Heitinga will no longer be considered for international duty reports Voetbal International

amar singh ‏@amarjourno
Van der Vaart, Huntelaar and Heitinga will no longer be considered for international duty reports Voetbal International

:eek:

I dont know what went on behind the scenes in the Holland training camp,but VdV was IMO their best player in the tournament.

:eek:

I dont know what went on behind the scenes in the Holland training camp,but VdV was IMO their best player in the tournament.
It is a possibility that they found out that van der Vaart is an incredibly overrated footballer, but it does sound like something has happened off the pitch if the rumour holds any truth. Good for us if true, shame for Rafa if he stops at 99 caps for his country.

Back