• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
No we wouldnt.

Yes we would.

Chelsea would place as the top team in england, PL winners would be second, PL runners up would be third, we would be fourth.

The fourth team in england enters in the qualifying round.

Edit: I'm looking around the web and i can't actually find anywhere that clarifies it either way.

Last edited:
I haven't really seen him a lot this season.

Personally when I want to rate a keeper the great saves mean nothing, it's the mistakes that matter. I want a keeper like Brad who can play a full season and not cost us a goal. You could maybe point to the Swansea game where he cost us, but thats the only one I can think of.

I'm not sure if I agree the great saves mean nothing, I liked the fact Gomes won us 4-5 games a season despite his occassional clanger I think he won us a hell of a lot more points than he cost us. I'm well aware I'm in the minority on this and quite clearly Gomes' future isn't with us....

someone on there's got some sense:

perspolis wrote:
honestly... usually i admit that it's our fault and the ref shouldn't matter... but today it did matter... it made all the difference between 1 and 3 points...

Indeed, had he given Norwich the penalties they deserved they could have easily taken three points.

In fact both will. I'm actually more confident of beating Villa Away than I am Fulham at home.

Martin Jol couldnt quite bring CL football to WHL in his time at Spurs. A loss for Fulham next Sunday and he could finally do just that. What a bizarre scenario we could have

I'm confident we'll win them both so long as we don't get injuries and Harry plays the right side in each match, and I intend to have given my voice a damn good thrashing by 6.10 on Sunday 13th...I think tomm is going to be electric!

More the concern the fourth ranked CL team - which could be us even if we finished third - has to have a qualifier

According to http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/ all 4 sides go straight through to the group stage:

"English winners of the UEFA Champions League finishing outside the top four places (but who qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic Barclays Premier League position) go forward as Winners to the group stage along with domestic champions, runners-up and third place."

Well, I was wrong, so wrong and happy about that too! Well done the canaries, now it's up to us tomorrow. I want the chavs to lose all their games now on in ...

According to http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/ all 4 sides go straight through to the group stage:

English winners of the UEFA Champions League finishing outside the top four places (but who qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic Barclays Premier League position) go forward as Winners to the group stage along with domestic champions, runners-up and third place.

What happens to the qualifer place though?

Without an English team there you end up with an odd number of teams..

That would do me. As though Spurs ever did easy street.

Have faith vs you know we'll fudge it up.

Time will tell. Harry committed again. The team focused. Or another lackluster away day?

Actually mate, this would be an absolutely belting "Tottenham" way of doing things...:)

What a result this is for us. I knew it was in our hands and they wouldnt win both their last two games but i expected them to struggle at Wba, not today.

Nothing is done of course, we have to play away a Aston Villa side thats brick but who are due a win and have things to prove.

Im more concerned about Villa away than Fulham at home to be fair, even if they've just beaten Liverpool at Anfield.

"English winners of the UEFA Champions League finishing outside the top four places (but who qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic Barclays Premier League position) go forward as Winners to the group stage along with domestic champions, runners-up and third place."

Thanks for that. I honestly thought that if Chelsea won the CL, the team in 3rd would have to place in the 4th qualifying round 2-legged play-off.
Still, doesnt change my mind about wanting Bayern to win the CL. However unlikely it is, I want Spurs to be the next English team to win it and nobody else, let alone Chelsea

I'm confident we'll win them both so long as we don't get injuries and Harry plays the right side in each match, and I intend to have given my voice a damn good thrashing by 6.10 on Sunday 13th...I think tomm is going to be electric!

Mine will be tomorrow. I was hoarse by full-time Weds night, right at the back tomorrow in the Upper Stand, the players wont hear me, but I'll be giving it some

Thanks for that. I honestly thought that if Chelsea won the CL, the team in 3rd would have to place in the 4th qualifying round 2-legged play-off.
Still, doesnt change my mind about wanting Bayern to win the CL. However unlikely it is, I want Spurs to be the next English team to win it and nobody else, let alone Chelsea

This.

Said it earlier in the week, for 'us' to get a result from today's game needed Arsenal to have one eye on the West Brom being the harder game and not showing enough respect to Norwich.

I didn't think Arsene would actually let them get away with that attitude though.

Let's hope for the first time in forever, in a week where the teams around us drop points, we actually go and capitalise. Could be a hell of a party down the Lane next weekend!

Clarifying the Champion's League places

evzHA.jpg

Uefa always reserve a place for the winners in the Groups. When the winners qualifying anyway they take this place out. The next team in the Champion's section get this place ie Belgium.

Here's the full run down from wikipedia

The following changes to the default allocation system above will be made depending on the result of the 2012 UEFA Champions League Final:

If Bayern Munich win, or if Chelsea win and finish top three in league
The champion of association 13 (Belgium) are promoted from the third qualifying round to the group stage.
The champion of association 16 (Switzerland) are promoted from the second qualifying round to the third qualifying round.
The champions of associations 48 (Malta) and 49 (Northern Ireland) are promoted from the first qualifying round to the second qualifying round.

If Chelsea win and finish fourth in league
The third-placed team of association 6 (Portugal) and the runners-up of association 7 (Russia) are promoted from the third qualifying round to the play-off round.

If Chelsea win and finish outside top four in league
Because of the restriction that no association can have more than four teams playing in the Champions League, the fourth-placed team of the 2011–12 Premier League, which would have entered in the 2012–13 Champions League play-off round, will be moved to the 2012–13 UEFA Europa League. In this case, the allocation system for the Champions League will be changed in the same way as above.

Back