• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
What I meant it - what criteria constitues an international LB?

Dont get this started again! MK1957 will be in shortly to explain....

"Intl Quality" is far from the pinnacle. I could move to San Marino, wait a few years to get a passport then I could become an International player, any position you like. Does that make me one of the best?

Dont get this started again! MK1957 will be in shortly to explain....

"Intl Quality" is far from the pinnacle. I could move to San Marino, wait a few years to get a passport then I could become an International player, any position you like. Does that make me one of the best?

Mk1957? Am I supposed to feel intimidated or threatened?

If you're half decent - you could be one of the best in San Mario, so the answer is yes. But what is the relevance?

Within the context of England - how can Baines, a player who's been putting in great performances for his club on a consistent level for years be deemed 'not of international quality' in comparison to someone else who's had a average season so far at best and is much older in fact.

My point is that "Intl quality" is a myth.

The relevance is that if your pool of players to select from is so limited (as in, by nationality for example) then "Intl quality" can mean absolutely anything.

In the context of England Baines is not international quality because Cole gets into the team ahead of him (so some say)

In many, many other countries Baines would easily be international quality because they would have no one near his ability.

Or, how about, you have an international manager who only plays one up front? Despite having a wealth of riches in the striker department only one plays - by default are the rest not international quality?

People talk about it as though its the top level, its not, and as you may have noticed is something of a pet hate of mine.

"International Quality" = meh

Why are you barking at me then?

If anything - I wanted an explanation of what I felt was a highly subjective explanation/assessment of a player's ability (r.e. Spaceman's comment)

On current form, I'd pick Baines ahead of Cashley - that's my take

Francis Jeffers is also an 'international' btw

Match fixing arrests in (shock horror!) Italy:

At the climax of his football team's fiercely contested clash against local rivals Lecce last year, defender Andrea Masiello committed what appeared to be a ghastly error, poking a cross into his own goal instead of hoofing it clear.

Masiello, 27, collapsed dejectedly on the grass after his own-goal sealed a 2-0 defeat for Bari, which was already facing relegation from Italy's Serie A.

But the player has now admitted to investigators that he was offered at least Ôé¼50,000 (?ú41,600) to turn the ball into the net to ensure Bari lost and help secure Lecce's survival in Serie A.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/02/andrea-masiello-match-fixing-serie-a?newsfeed=true

I believe this is the own goal in question - right at the end of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzfg7AbvYyE

Why are you barking at me then?

If anything - I wanted an explanation of what I felt was a highly subjective explanation/assessment of a player's ability (r.e. Spaceman's comment)

On current form, I'd pick Baines ahead of Cashley - that's my take

Francis Jeffers is also an 'international' btw

Im not barking at you at all. If anything just expanding on your requirement for an explanation.

Untwist your knickers and calm down dear.

I had some moneys on 2-2 in the England/Holland game and that rat Baines invites Arjen fricking Robben to coast inside onto his left foot and score. Baines hasn't been that great this season, he deserved to win it last year but didn't so I guess he'll be compensated this season. Benny's the real #1.

For me "international quality" doesn't mean just "good enough to play for some random small brick national side like Norway for example." More someone good enough to play regularly for a good international side and good enough to make a difference in World Cups or European Championships.

Similarly, for me, Premier League quality doesn't mean Rasiak, even though he once played in the Premiership.

He was brilliant in 05/06, after the world cup he became crap and was horrible in 06/07... I think it was the worst i've seen a player decline, and so quickly, maybe just Torres can compete with that kind of loss of form (though he's picking up lately).

He cost us points against United, Arsenal and West Ham off the top of my head by either dropping simple crosses or failing to save any shot from outside the area.

Here's a better Stat. Combined goals and assists per minute. Overall favours players who play a lot of games.

55hD1.jpg

Back