• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Immense Struggle to avoid the European Conference League

Wouldn't make a difference anyway - we're toast and I'd be surprised if we pick up another point

I think we have a point left in us. On current form I dont see any points from Pool,United or Villa. I think we will get a point v either Palace or Brentford, dont ask which one, I just dont see us losing our last 4 home games.
Have a feeling Leeds will need to win on the last day to stay up. Dr Tottenham will be on-call

I'm not that bothered about where we finish. Issue we have is trying to keep some respectability when its clear that the club is in chaos, the interim manager is out of his depth and there's no leadership on or off the pitch

Levy needs to appoint the new manager ASAP even if he doesnt start til June in order to give some stability

I'm not that bothered about where we finish. Issue we have is trying to keep some respectability when its clear that the club is in chaos, the interim manager is out of his depth and there's no leadership on or off the pitch

Levy needs to appoint the new manager ASAP even if he doesnt start til June in order to give some stability
I mean that would be sensible and also give the players something to focus on…
So it won’t happen

We apparently aren't interested in Poch and the other top candidates are either busy with their current sides or might not want to commit to anything just yet. Don't see anything happening until various leagues start wrapping up.

We apparently aren't interested in Poch and the other top candidates are either busy with their current sides or might not want to commit to anything just yet. Don't see anything happening until various leagues start wrapping up.
Most top managers won't commit until they know what is happening with Real

Levy therefore has to make a choice between:

- appoint someone who is out of work now (poch, Nagelmann or whoever) even if they dont start til June and even if its not his 1st choice manager. This would at least give some direction and stability
- wait to June to appoint someone and risk the chaos in the interim...but also recgonising that his first choice might not be available or want to come

Either option is a risk. I dont recall us being in this much chaos before though

Levy therefore has to make a choice between:

- appoint someone who is out of work now (poch, Nagelmann or whoever) even if they dont start til June and even if its not his 1st choice manager. This would at least give some direction and stability
- wait to June to appoint someone and risk the chaos in the interim...but also recgonising that his first choice might not be available or want to come

Either option is a risk. I dont recall us being in this much chaos before though

Things were at least this bad under Sherwood. Poch was announced 27 May.

As of today, we cannot be overtaken by the following :-

Bournemouth ..... ..... GW32
Wolverhampton Wand . GW32
Leeds United ..... ..... GW31
Everton ..... ..... ..... GW30
Nottingham Forest ..... GW30
Leicester City .... ..... GW30
Southampton ..... ..... GW30
Even though we stand still, we pull away from lower half.

Cries into beer

I lost faith in us having any shout of top 4 after the Brighton game. I had a feeling, and I think it was shared amongst the crowd, that despite the win we had been absolutely murdered even allowing for the decisions. Things were bound to catch up with us. I didn't expect to lose to Bournemouth but I had a feeling yesterday was coming. Personally, I couldn't give much of a f**k where we finish at this point. 5th, 8th. It doesn't really matter to me. I'd willingly take the season ending right now. Failing that, I just hope we don't embarrass ourselves again before the end of the season. If Liverpool turn up on Sunday, we could see a similar pasting.

I lost faith in us having any shout of top 4 after the Brighton game. I had a feeling, and I think it was shared amongst the crowd, that despite the win we had been absolutely murdered even allowing for the decisions. Things were bound to catch up with us. I didn't expect to lose to Bournemouth but I had a feeling yesterday was coming. Personally, I couldn't give much of a f**k where we finish at this point. 5th, 8th. It doesn't really matter to me. I'd willingly take the season ending right now. Failing that, I just hope we don't embarrass ourselves again before the end of the season. If Liverpool turn up on Sunday, we could see a similar pasting.

At some point you think their personal pride will kick in and there'd be a reaction, but im not holding my breath.

At some point you think their personal pride will kick in and there'd be a reaction, but im not holding my breath.

You also need some characters and leadership. I dont see that from anyone on or off the pitch.

Kane and Lloris aren't leaders. PEH is possibly the closest but its not clear that he commands the respect or others or is listened to

Stellini has no authority given him being a dead man walking. I could see him giving up too and that coming across to the squad.

I can believe that Mason is well liked, but not sure he's a leader either

Oh, and there's no well respected DoF either

EL is worth it, it’s a route to CL and at least a decent shot of a trophy. Conference league with all the weird travel would hurt us more then we gain tbh.
The EL also has decent money involved these days. If we miss Europa League football this season then our transfer budget probably won’t be any bigger than the £80m commitment we already have to make Kulu and Porro permanent. It would then take incredible wheeling and dealing and a lot of luck and patience to build a team that can challenge.

Things were at least this bad under Sherwood. Poch was announced 27 May.
They really weren’t. Sherwood took over from AVB with us in 7th and took us to 6th. We’ve gone from 4th to 6th under Stellini and current point spreads have us finishing 7th (I think we’re still a decent sell and will finish 8th).

Stellini is averaging 1 point per game so far. Sherwood got 1.91 points per game. If Stellini had managed an average of 1.91 points per game we would’ve had a reasonable chance of playing CL football next season I think.

Last edited:
The EL also has decent money involved these days. If we miss Europa League football this season then our transfer budget probably won’t be any bigger than the £80m commitment we already have to make Kulu and Porro permanent. It would then take incredible wheeling and dealing and a lot of luck and patience to build a team that can challenge.
The finances are going to be interesting. The freeze up in the European market is a pig.

The only other potential squad builder is if a new man makes any notable use of the Sarrs Gil's etc or reintegrates a loanee eg Reggie.

I'm still of the opinion of shifting Lo Celso and Ndombele though.

The finances are going to be interesting. The freeze up in the European market is a pig.

The only other potential squad builder is if a new man makes any notable use of the Sarrs Gil's etc or reintegrates a loanee eg Reggie.

Sarr is not ready yet. He still has lots of faults in his game that need ironing out at a lower level. I’ve not really seen anything of Gill that suggests he could be anything better than a mid table PL player (and still needs to do a lot of developing to get to that level).

I don’t think Regulion has anything that Sessegnon and Davies don’t have and the fact that he is an overseas player, unlike the other two counts against him.

Ndombele might be worth a look as competition/cover at AM but it is a big risk considering his application when here previously (though a manager implementing a front foot, possession based system might get a better tune out of him than the 3 defensive managers we’ve had in a row).

I think we'll be able to shift GLC - Unai Emery has been linked with him now that he's at Villa, and we might also swap him for Danjuma. Alternatively there will be a taker in Spain I'd imagine, assuming terms are sensible so there's a few options. I also thikn we'll find a buyer for Winks and Rodon in the PL and Championship respectively

Ndombele is a different matter. I'm (literally) not sure whether we could give him away. We'll have to pay part of his wages for someone else to take him; whether we can get a fee in that sort of deal...who knows but would be limited

Back