• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I must say (and this hurts) that possibly the best signing Arsenal have made in recent years is Steve Bould.
It has to be said that their defensive shape and structure has been so much better overall since he replaced Pat Rice as Wenger's assistant.

I also think a bit turning in this was when we beat them in March 2013, when they and their defending (especially Vermaelen's) was barracked from all quarters.
Since then (bar the big beatings from the top 4/5 teams) they have been much more solid defensively in general.

It just all makes me feel sick :-&

defensively they are tighter but ive noticed their passing game is not as fluent as it used to be. Sure they have those moments where they rip the opposition with slick one twos and passing triangles, but generally they tend to not keep the ball as before, plenty of misplaced passes. It was like this against palace on Sat

whatmough.png

I disagree.

Poor lad. :lol:

He was a youth and reserve team coach for us from 1988. Possibly until he became Leyton Orient manager in 1995. Managed to sign Peter Shilton and achieve their lowest ever league finish. Been a scout/coach at several lower league clubs.

Also managed the Arsenal U18s for 7 weeks in 2012, before resigning for personal reasons.
aha, I thought he had Spurs connections....cheers

defensively they are tighter but ive noticed their passing game is not as fluent as it used to be. Sure they have those moments where they rip the opposition with slick one twos and passing triangles, but generally they tend to not keep the ball as before, plenty of misplaced passes. It was like this against palace on Sat

i agree 100% with this. arsenal do seem to have changed philosphy towards a more defensive style of play. but like you have mentioned, they have lost out in their attacking/ ball retaining aspects of their game. basically, arsenal pay the 3rd/4th highest wages in the league, and are therefore the 3rd or 4th best team in the league regardless of how they choose to approach the game from an aesthetic perspective. if those arsenal players could combine these two aspects of the game, we wouldnt be calling them arsenal players. they would be on higher wages, and be called Emirates Marketing Project players. :)

Arsenal have got 'lucky' that this injury for Giroud has occurred just before the window closes rather than just after.
Of course they'll now be victim to ramped up asking prices but at least they can get someone in.

Arsenal have got 'lucky' that this injury for Giroud has occurred just before the window closes rather than just after.
Of course they'll now be victim to ramped up asking prices but at least they can get someone in.

Wenger will be too stubborn to pay up and will end up playing Sanchez, Sanago, Walcott, Podolski, Campbell all up there at some point throwing **** at the wall until one of them sticks.

Mesut Özil has come out all guns blazing after criticism of his displays for Arsenal and most of all for the world champions, Germany.

“The fans believed I played a good World Cup. The statistics show that as well. I was satisfied with my performance at the World Cup. I know I could have scored more goals and shot more but I was surprised the press was negative,” he told the Daily Telegraph.

“In my first season at Arsenal there were times when I was not at my best but in the qualifiers for the national team I did perform well. Look, I scored the most goals in qualifying [eight]. The negative headlines were unfair.”

The playmaker pointed out he has been voted Germany’s national player of the year three times by fans and that an injury to the left-winger Marco Reus before the World Cup meant the Germany coach, Joachim Löw, had to shift him over.

“The negative criticism came out of nowhere, it went from zero to 100. I went from being the darling of German football, the jewel in the crown, to being hammered in the media,” Özil said.

“I’m one of the best players in the world in that No10 position. Fans, coaches, players and everyone knows that my best position is playmaker.

“It’s different playing on the left. Joachim Löw needed me on the left. It’s not about the individual, it’s about the team.“

Özil said he expects great things at Arsenal this season with the addition of Alexis Sánchez from Barcelona.

“Of course Arsenal can win the Premier League. We’ve strengthened our squad. We also want to show that we can play better in the Champions League. We have the potential to reach the final,” he said.

“We can achieve something big this season,” he added.

www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/30/mesut-ozil-surprised-criticism-arsenal-germany-displays

Mesut Özil has come out all guns blazing after criticism of his displays for Arsenal and most of all for the world champions, Germany.

“The fans believed I played a good World Cup. The statistics show that as well. I was satisfied with my performance at the World Cup. I know I could have scored more goals and shot more but I was surprised the press was negative,” he told the Daily Telegraph.

“In my first season at Arsenal there were times when I was not at my best but in the qualifiers for the national team I did perform well. Look, I scored the most goals in qualifying [eight]. The negative headlines were unfair.”

The playmaker pointed out he has been voted Germany’s national player of the year three times by fans and that an injury to the left-winger Marco Reus before the World Cup meant the Germany coach, Joachim Löw, had to shift him over.

“The negative criticism came out of nowhere, it went from zero to 100. I went from being the darling of German football, the jewel in the crown, to being hammered in the media,” Özil said.

“I’m one of the best players in the world in that No10 position. Fans, coaches, players and everyone knows that my best position is playmaker.

“It’s different playing on the left. Joachim Löw needed me on the left. It’s not about the individual, it’s about the team.“

Özil said he expects great things at Arsenal this season with the addition of Alexis Sánchez from Barcelona.

“Of course Arsenal can win the Premier League. We’ve strengthened our squad. We also want to show that we can play better in the Champions League. We have the potential to reach the final,” he said.

“We can achieve something big this season,” he added.

www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/30/mesut-ozil-surprised-criticism-arsenal-germany-displays

delusional_disorder_grandiose_type_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

So last day for Gooners to buy a striker, a DM and possibly a CB.
Out of the three I think a DM is most needed.

Will they push the boat out, I wonder....NO excuses now..

So last day for Gooners to buy a striker, a DM and possibly a CB.
Out of the three I think a DM is most needed.

Will they push the boat out, I wonder....NO excuses now..

I reckon it will be an 18 year unknown from Angola who will be good one day like the rest of their "kids" were

Back