• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

- Arsenal cannot win the Europa league unlike the likes of at.madrid and us because they always, and i mean always, get into the latter rounds of the Champions League.
- the Cup competitions are just that. Cups. Arsenal have got close in the last 9 years. If they had a extra bit of luck, they could've done it.
- winning in a league of one is much easier than winning in the epl. which has now become a league of 3. all dortmund needed was bayern to have an off year. arsenal need utd, chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project to have off years.
- arsenal have played dortmund four times in the past 3 years. arsenal have come out top overall in these encounters.
- arsenal are above at.madrid and dortmund in the uefa coefficients. which is a ranking based on the performances of the clubs in the past 5 years.

Europa League/FA Cup/Copa Del Rey are indeed all cup competitions. Just like the CL is as well..

Even if Arsenal's league is more competitive they are not competing whilst those other two are (I'm sure this will be shown by the gap in points between the winners vs the positions the clubs usually finish). It's one thing not winning the league it's another to be totally out of it every year and actually only have a run-in for 4th by March. It's easier to have a run-in for 3rd/4th than mount a title channel. Easier mentally.

Arsenal should be ahead of both Dortmund and Atletico in terms of co-efficient: they've been in the CL for how many consecutive seasons? I bet both those clubs are closing the gap though.. all these years of finishing 2nd in the group and getting knocked out will catch up with them and that's irrelevant of money they generate compared to their rivals etc

There will come a point when all this defence of Arsenal and how they compete vs their rivals will be shown to be meaningless when clubs from lower positions moneywise, co-efficient wise etc start usurping Arsenal both in trophies and competiveness

Dortmund and at.madrid have only recently started competing. and in at.madrid's case, they have never finished above either Barcelona or R.Madrid.

Lets see where both at.madrid and dortmund are in 3-4 years time. If bundesliga and la liga history is anything to go by, i suspect they won't be in contention for the title in a few years time. Just like the likes of Valencia, Deportivo, Seville, Villareal, Schalke, Bremen, Wolfsburg have done after having competing for the title for a short period of time.

imo, Dortmund and at.madrid are probably just another flash in the pan. another leeds utd.

to constanstly compete at the top, you need world class management from top down. And in wenger, arsenal have someone who provides this. hence the fact that they have always been ranked with Europe's elite despite the relative lack of funds.

Dortmund and at.madrid have only recently started competing. and in at.madrid's case, they have never finished above either Barcelona or R.Madrid.

Lets see where both at.madrid and dortmund are in 3-4 years time. If bundesliga and la liga history is anything to go by, i suspect they won't be in contention for the title in a few years time. Just like the likes of Valencia, Deportivo, Seville, Villareal, Schalke, Bremen, Wolfsburg have done after having competing for the title for a short period of time.

imo, Dortmund and at.madrid are probably just another flash in the pan. another leeds utd.

to constanstly compete at the top, you need world class management from top down. And in wenger, arsenal have someone who provides this. hence the fact that they have always been ranked with Europe's elite despite the relative lack of funds.

Dortmund won the Champions League in 96/97 and they have an 80k capacity stadium. At around the turn of the millennium the Leeds comparison might have been apt as they spent way beyond their means and as a result suffered a serious setback, they still struggle with the financial problems heaped on the club at that time. They've turned themselves around through great footballing decisions on a marginal budget. Comparable perhaps to Leverkusen when they broke through on the big stage back when they had Ballack etc. Unlike Leverkusen though Dortmund has the potential as a club to join the big guns in Europe with their stadium, and they're in a good situation in Germany where even a relatively poor season like this one probably still gets them CL football (unlike in England).

They have every opportunity to not be a flash in the pan if they keep making good decisions.

is that not worrying?

he's supposed to be a professional, penalties get missed, he should be over it by the time the ball comes back into play

I've said it before, but I think Arsenal have a few fair weather players.

Make or break time for them now in the league, not far between dropping out of the title challenge and dropping out of top 4. Not saying it's likely, but if a few of their players can start doubting it would be a good thing.

No real surprise about ARSEnal' defensive record but expected them to have lost more league games in February, as that's when their traditional annual collapse is supposed to begin... Guess it's confined to the cup games nowadays.

@OptaJoe: 456 - Arsenal have not conceded a Premier League goal at the Emirates Stadium for seven hours and 36 minutes. Rearguard.
The Gunners have lost just one of their last 17 Premier League games in the month of February (W13 D3 L1).

Our equivalent February league record is W11 D3 L3.

Does anyone think we have a hope in beating the scum on the 16th March??

One too many ****y Gooners atm (some of them closely related!) saying they're looking forward to facing us on the 16th..I have at least one bet riding on the result as well..

We've not lost since Sept 2007 to them at WHL in the league; won 3 of the last
4 (in the league) against them at WHL.

So once Juande Ramos stuffed them 5-1 in that GREAT League Cup semi every manager we've had since has won a league game at home to them...looking at how those games panned out (funnily enough we didn't win the one of the 4 that we most deserved to..) does anyone look at the two sides currently and see TS being to notch a home league NLD win like Redknapp and AVB?

One of those expectant Gooner said they expected to win now that we didn't have Bale or VDV....

Thoughts?

Does anyone think we have a hope in beating the scum on the 16th March??

One too many ****y Gooners atm (some of them closely related!) saying they're looking forward to facing us on the 16th..I have at least one bet riding on the result as well..

We've not lost since Sept 2007 to them at WHL in the league; won 3 of the last
4 (in the league) against them at WHL.

So once Juande Ramos stuffed them 5-1 in that GREAT League Cup semi every manager we've had since has won a league game at home to them...looking at how those games panned out (funnily enough we didn't win the one of the 4 that we most deserved to..) does anyone look at the two sides currently and see TS being to notch a home league NLD win like Redknapp and AVB?

One of those expectant Gooner said they expected to win now that we didn't have Bale or VDV....

Thoughts?

We will win…I can feel it in my waters!

Jesus, I thought our march was bad..

Arsenal start with Stoke away, a tricky enough fixture, they don't tend to enjoy it against one of the more physical sides in the league.

Seven days later they play Everton at home in the fa cup, Everton who are currently flying pretty high and have lukaku back in the fold.

Three days post Everton they play bayern Munich, away from home in a make or break champions league match.

Five days after their Germany trip they come to the lane, with the realistic possibility of no longer being in any of the cup competitions. Hopefully we can put a severe dent in their title hopes as well.

Six days later they head off to Stamford bridge, where mourinho will no doubt defend his way to a dour draw.

And just to round off a spectacular month, they welcome Emirates Marketing Project to the emirates, the city who beat them 6 - 3 back in December.

It could be a good month..

Not sure if our players have the cojones for a NLD. Would love to see them fly out of the traps and have a real go

Against Arsenal, Chelsea and especially West Ham the players have looked pretty **** poor unfortunately.

It'd be nice if the players gave a good showing of themselves for a NLD at White Hart Lane but I have my doubts

I fear it will be the defining game of our season. The gap is bigger now than at any point under Wengers stewardship IMO. The way we defend and the way they attack suggest to me that they will absolutely murder us.

Back