• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Re: Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Weren't we linked with RvP before he moved to the goons? I'm sure we were after him?

I'd rather not go back to the old ways, especially with the sugar daddy clubs around now. Constantly unsettling other teams, buying new players every time they lose a match.

The comments on the goons is ridiculous IMO.
Wenger gets slated all ways for all things he says, but the bloke signed Podolski and Giroud, he signed Cazorla, they caved in and kept Walcott (even though I believe they were mugged there), I mean, it's ridiculous for people to say he doesn't 'sign' anyone. He DOES sign PLENTY but in the case of Gervinho (for example) he has a player who just cannot settle (but has the tools) and in Mertesacker, who took a long time to settle.
I cannot believe I am sympathizing with him, but seriously, who the fudge else should they sign right now? David Villa? Yes. So should we and a dozen others. Who's to say they can get him?
Maybe the only thing he hasn't done is what Harry did last year with the Parker signing, and that is get an experienced battling warrior. I was always relieved they didn't find one/sign one.
Seriously, some critics out there need to get a grip.
And to think, I actually fudging hate them and WISH what I'd written WASN'T true and that Wenger had, indeed, fudged them right up. He has a good squad, they just lack consistent conviction...and long may THAT continue!!!!!!!

Steff, they charge the highest gates in the premiership have had umpteen years of Champions league but seem to have less ambition then we do. They sell their best players and replace them with mediocrity. Every season they play to achieve top 4 and nothing else. People rightly critizise the sugar daddies for buying trophies but at least they have ambition- the good old fashion "I want to win things" mentality. I just don't get Arsenal's mentality - the "i want the healthiest bank balance" I know which set of fans I'd rather be.

I'd rather not go back to the old ways, especially with the sugar daddy clubs around now. Constantly unsettling other teams, buying new players every time they lose a match.

I agree with this . 365 days transfer windows would be carnage with all that oil money around.

RvP has been replaced better than Modric imo

Giroud and Poldolski for him is better than Dembele and Sidurdsson/Dempsey for Modric and VDV

Not a chance mate. Dembele would walk into every team in the league bar Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea. Giroud wouldn't start for any other team in the top 6.

That's besides the point anyway because RvP is head and shoulders above any player we lost from last season.

Steff, they charge the highest gates in the premiership have had umpteen years of Champions league but seem to have less ambition then we do. They sell their best players and replace them with mediocrity. Every season they play to achieve top 4 and nothing else. People rightly critizise the sugar daddies for buying trophies but at least they have ambition- the good old fashion "I want to win things" mentality. I just don't get Arsenal's mentality - the "i want the healthiest bank balance" I know which set of fans I'd rather be.

Good points in all fairness.
I forget about the fact that they have 60,000 in that overpriced brickhole. Their issues rest, I think, in their ownership battles...and the fact that I DO wonder if they need to change their manager. We always speak about managers who have gone as far as they can with certain clubs, you have to wonder if this isn't the prime case?
But granted mate, those were all fair points indeed...

Giroud seems to choke in front of goal regularly. I guess he is getting plenty of chances which shows he is getting in the right positions but he seems to suffer from performance anxiety.

Good points in all fairness.
I forget about the fact that they have 60,000 in that overpriced brickhole. Their issues rest, I think, in their ownership battles...and the fact that I DO wonder if they need to change their manager. We always speak about managers who have gone as far as they can with certain clubs, you have to wonder if this isn't the prime case?
But granted mate, those were all fair points indeed...

Mate, I really think they have become something of a joke club. Their most sucessful time was under David Dein and they don't want him back - why because they want to keep the money the club makes to enrich the american shareholder!! They are screwing over their fans in a big way. Even if we don't sign anyone this window, what Levy and Enic have done for our club compared to those muppets running the arses down the road is incomparable. Most of my football heartbreak involves those Cnuts from Sol Campbell to Lasagnegate to last season's fiascos. Funny I completely agree the 5-2 of last season rankled me more than any result - then they did it to us again. I think we owe them one roll on March 2nd.

No matter wether they had RVP last season or not, for me finishing below Arsenal last season after having a 12 point gp at one point ranks worse than any of our manyother flops in the last 25 years or so.

Even if we finish above them this seaon (and I win a £200 bet with a ****y Gooner) i'm not sure it wuill cleanse the pain of that collapse - forget Chelski's CL win, finishing behind L'Arse last year felt far, far worse for me

Adrian Durham was giving Arsenal stick as usual today, mocking Wenger's transfer window lack of activity.

A Gooner called in and defended Wenger, saying he should be judged at the end of the window as he's not going to telegraph his transfer dealings beforehand. He then said he felt so confident that Arsenal would finish 3rdhe wasn't gtoo bothered and didn't want Wenger to buy for the sake of it (e.g. Zaha not being much different from Walcott or the Ox).
Cue background music of 'heads gone', which was very funny! Durham said, are you sure???

I hope many of the Spurs players could listen to that clip; it's that sort of ****y confidence that i'd love to shove back in some Gooner faces (including the one i've a £200 bet with..grr....)

COYS!

Mate, I really think they have become something of a joke club. Their most sucessful time was under David Dein and they don't want him back - why because they want to keep the money the club makes to enrich the american shareholder!! They are screwing over their fans in a big way. Even if we don't sign anyone this window, what Levy and Enic have done for our club compared to those muppets running the arses down the road is incomparable. Most of my football heartbreak involves those Cnuts from Sol Campbell to Lasagnegate to last season's fiascos. Funny I completely agree the 5-2 of last season rankled me more than any result - then they did it to us again. I think we owe them one roll on March 2nd.

When we left the deathstar this year, we all agreed that
1) it was absolutely NOT a 5-2 game, that the sending-off changed the result and that 10 minutes cost us three goals.
2) it would a turning point in our season because none of us, to a man, believed that AVB would let it become anything other than a MASSIVE motivation to reverse trend and make good. In fact, I said that all those glowing tossers around us knew deep down it was a bandage over the situation. I agree with you. Which is why what happened last year, and the fact it was so utterly, UTTERLY avoidable, remains one of the lowest points in the last two decades. We could've bombed them out of it for years to come. Let's hope this year does the trick...

No matter wether they had RVP last season or not, for me finishing below Arsenal last season after having a 12 point gp at one point ranks worse than any of our manyother flops in the last 25 years or so.

Even if we finish above them this seaon (and I win a £200 bet with a ****y Gooner) i'm not sure it wuill cleanse the pain of that collapse - forget Chelski's CL win, finishing behind L'Arse last year felt far, far worse for me

Indeed.
It remains one of the slowest, ugliest periods of time I have suffered supporting this club...

Indeed.
It remains one of the slowest, ugliest periods of time I have suffered supporting this club...

It was without doubt the ugliest thing I'd ever seen in my time following Spurs. Sure, I've seen us play worse and finish lower, but I've never seen us throw away what seemed such an unassailable lead in such a slow, careening, utterly powerless way, being gradually reeled in by an equally incompetent Arsenal side that gave us chance after chance to pull clear, all of which we wasted.

And in the end, Modric leaving, Harry leaving, our 4 million pound loss, the heartache and anguish of the CL final....all of it could have been avoided had we gained a single point from QPR away, or Norwich at home. Or scored just one more goal against Villa away. One more.

Sigh.

I will not be satisfied we have got anything over these c'unts till we finish the season above them, also beating them in a heart breaking manner, similar to being 2-0 down ht at the effeminates, coming back to win 3-2. Also, blowing their dreams sky high, which they and the blue scum love to do to us.

Rant over - for now...

Not a chance mate. Dembele would walk into every team in the league bar Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea. Giroud wouldn't start for any other team in the top 6.

That's besides the point anyway because RvP is head and shoulders above any player we lost from last season.

They've replaced their top goalscorer with two forwards who are both chipping in with goals and assists - look at their stats and for players new to a foriegn league they aren't as bad as everyone seems to think.

in VdV and Modric we lost creativity and goals from our midfield - two aspects which haven't really been replaced at all. Dembele is a great player but he is neither a playmaker or goal scorer

Last edited:

They've replaced their top goalscorer with two forwards who are both chipping in with goals and assists - look at their stats and for players new to a foriegn league they aren't as bad as everyone seems to think.

in VdV and Modric we lost creativity and goals from our midfield - two aspects which haven't really been replaced at all. Dembele is a great player but he is neither a playmaker or goal scorer

We replaced VDV with 2 players that function far better in the formation and style of play our new manager has implemented so that to me is an improvement. Can you imagine VDV doing the amount of tracking back and closing down that Sig and dempsey have done? VDV imo would never work in a AVB system.

Dembele like Luka will not get a lot of direct assists but their key pass count is probably similar. Also dembele is better defensively and there's not much in it in terms of overall quality. The difference between RVP and either Giroud or Podolski is staggering.

We replaced VDV with 2 players that function far better in the formation and style of play our new manager has implemented so that to me is an improvement. Can you imagine VDV doing the amount of tracking back and closing down that Sig and dempsey have done? VDV imo would never work in a AVB system.

Dembele like Luka will not get a lot of direct assists but their key pass count is probably similar. Also dembele is better defensively and there's not much in it in terms of overall quality. The difference between RVP and either Giroud or Podolski is staggering.

That is a fair point re VdV and the new managers system, however we still miss his goals and creativity in the final 3rd and at the end of the day it is that what wins you games and it is that which we are crying out for in the team at the moment.

Modric was the heartbeat of our team and we haven't replaced that at all - hence AVB still looking to replace what he brought to the team (Moutinho seemingly being his no.1 target) Dembele himself says he is in no way a Luka replacment.

RvP > either Podolski or Giroud
But both together are probably covering the lions share of his goals - when you take Walcotts switch to a more central position in to account then that adds even more weight to my point, i feel as he has been in fine scoring form this season.

Last edited:
Back