• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21193630

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the January transfer window should be limited to two transfers per club and is "unfair" in its current form.
"It is unfair some teams have played, for example, Saudi Sportswashing Machine already and then some still have to face a side with six or eight new players," said Wenger.
"I think it should be completely cut out or limited to two players."

Translation: I don't want other teams to strengthen when i can't find the players i want that want to join le arse.

That would ring true via his loan comments last season..

Something like 'teams shouldn't be able to loan players over the age of 21!'

Then goes and loans Henry back for a month or two.

It was in the summer IIRC, just before they got Benayoun on loan.

fudge Arsenal and fudge the past. They will be lucky to get Europa next season. They have some great players, probably more great players than us, but they ain't got a team. They were wobbling against West Ham last night and WH were brick. Their no 20 needs to be taken out and shot.

Yeah, exactly right. =D>

Last season's 5-2 defeat at Arsenal, after being two goals up, effectively led to Harry Redknapp's controversial dismissal at Tottenham, as his side's capitulation from that point onwards ended their aspirations of a long-awaited title challenge, and ultimately meant they missed out on qualification for the Champions League.

OK, so they still finished fourth, and Didier Drogba was the actual reason they didn't qualify, but for much of the campaign, they were right in amongst it, and looked odds-on to take the Manchester clubs right to the wire until their late-season surrender.

A few months ago saw a remarkably similar outcome when the two rivals clashed at The Emirates, with an identical 5-2 victory for the hosts after being behind early on.

However this time around, it is the Gunners who have fallen away, with only five wins in the Premier League since their derby victory, compared to their neighbours' seven successes, losing only once in the process.

This is no fluke, and the Gunners' domination of their North London rivals could well be coming to an end because of three fundamental reasons; Andre Villas-Boas, his talented squad, and Arsene Wenger's reluctance to break the habit of a lifetime.

The White Hart Lane faithful have been waiting a long time for this. The last time their side finished above the Gunners was back in 1995, before Arsene Wenger arrived from Japan, with his innovative ideas, and made Arsenal a force again.

Nonetheless, their hopes have risen on numerous occasions since, especially in the Redknapp era, but as usual, their beloved side flattered to deceive.

Eyebrows were raised when inexperienced Portuguese boss Villas-Boas was handed the Spurs reins, after a disastrous spell across London at Chelsea.

Daniel Levy's surprise choice was further questioned after the derby defeat in November, their fourth in five games, leaving the beleaguered-looking Spurs languishing in eighth, six points off the coveted Champions League places.

Their form since has been an emphatic response to those who questioned whether or not Villas-Boas deserved another chance in England. Spurs now sit three points ahead of Everton in fourth, and more importantly, leave the Gunners four points adrift in sixth.

One of the main differences between the now QPR manager and Villas-Boas is how the former Porto boss seems to have finally got Aaron Lennon playing to his full potential, and taken some of the strain off Gareth Bale's shoulders.

As the Welshman excelled, Lennon previously lacked an end product, frustrating Spurs and England fans alike.

However Villas-Boas' system has allowed Lennon more freedom, and Spurs have become a threat down both flanks; something they never really were under the old-fashioned Redknapp ethos.

Losing Luca Modric and Rafael van der Vaart in the summer was supposed to hinder any progress Villas-Boas could mastermind, and a descent into mediocrity was assumed inevitable.

What has transpired has contradicted common belief in this pre-season prediction, and the squad the Portuguese supremo has assembled is arguably as strong as ever.

Moussa Dembele has been a revelation in the midfield engine room, Clint Dempsey and Gylfi Sigurdsson have between them gone some way to replacing van der Vaart, without setting the world alight yet, and Jan Vertonghen has excelled to a level that fans favourite Ledley King's retirement has been somewhat forgotten.

Another prime example of this strength in depth was evident in Spurs' goalless draw at Loftus Road a few weeks ago when Sandro, who has evolved into a first-team regular this season, suffered an injury that would keep him out for the season.

Where the likes of the Gunners would struggle to replace such a presence, Villas-Boas sent on Scott Parker, who the previous season was voted in the PFA Team of the Year. Not bad eh?

Arsene Wenger this week played down talk he was ever interested in signing Manchester United-bound Wilfred Zaha, claiming that he was 'never in for him'. I doubt this very much. It is more of a case that he was scared off by the price tag.

Despite it being apparently obvious to everyone else that the money is there to spend, it looks as though another transfer window will pass by without any major incomings at The Emirates.

Despite an impressive performance in the Gunners' 5-1 demolition of West Ham on Wednesday night, the squad still looks worryingly bare, especially in the heart of midfield.

With Abou Diaby a frequent visitor in the treatment room, and young Jack Wheelchair susceptible to the odd niggle or two, Mikel Arteta (injured again) and Aaron Ramsey are the only other options in the middle of the park, with Santi Cazorla more suited to an advanced midfield role.

Spurs, on the other hand have a wealth of choice, with the likes of Tom Huddlestone and Sigurdsson struggling to even get a look-in.

Unless the experienced Gunners chieftain unearths another Fabregas or Vieira-esque coup from the reserves of a footballing giant, he will once again be reliant on his current crop of talent.

Wenger will not change his ways, and the sooner the Arsenal faithful realise this the better. If you have the patience he may well turn the club's fortunes around, but he will only do so his way.

I don't want to jinx it for all you Spurs fans out there, but I firmly believe that this year your season won't peter out as it has done since 1995, and the North London bragging rights, for once, could well be yours this summer.

What's more, if you stick with your ambitious young boss, things can only get better.

www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/8432065/Spurs-well-placed-to-bag-bragging-rights

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the January transfer window should be limited to two transfers per club and is "unfair" in its current form.
"It is unfair some teams have played, for example, Saudi Sportswashing Machine already and then some still have to face a side with six or eight new players," said Wenger.

Translation: I don't want other teams to strengthen when i can't find the players i want that want to join le arse.

To be honest I have some sympathy for this. You should name your squad of 25 at the start of the season and that should be it plus youth players.

the ability of the bigger booys to buy their way out of relative trouble makes it unfair in many ways. Also might create a little mangerial stability as well.

(also against emergency transfers for goalkeepers as well but that is another rant.

Re: Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

This is what I agree with. For me Redknapp did a good job, and had us finishing in the league where our first team and squad deserved to finish. Last year we actually finished above that in terms of talent, but we all know Chelsea had a disasterous league season and that bumped ourselves (and Arsenal, Saudi Sportswashing Machine) ahead of a superior side.

This year I'd say we have the 4th best team, and the 4th best squad, in the Premiership. People keep saying that we lost Modric/VDV so are weaker than last season and that is true. But Arsenal lost RVP (who almost single handedly dragged them up two places last season) and that has weakened them far more significantly than us losing Modric AND VDV. So if we finish 4th this year? As far as I am concerned it is where this first team and squad (at least with seven days to the transfer window closing) SHOULD be finishing. So if that is where we've finished then AVB has done a good job and it's been a good season. If we finish 3rd? Then AVB has done a very good job. If we finish 2nd? Then, and only then, will I regard this season as an excellent season.

I agree in theory we have a better squad than Arsenal but I'm done predicting we will finish above them until we actually do it. We should have done it last year to be honest, but I accept they had a genuine world class striker and we didn't and still don't.

But he's closer to Modric than Giroud is in comparison to Van Persie. RVP is one of the top players in his position in the world, Modric ain't.

My point wasn't just about ability but the fact that they replaced RVP with an out and out striker, like for like in that sense whereas Modric and to some extent VDV haven't been replaced for like for like players therefore we have had to adapt. Also we lost arguably our two most crucial players and with them not being replaced would have made us weaker....

GHod that 82 Barca game was horrible - we'd managed to get both our main strikers injured IIRC, then Clem who was brilliant that season let a gift in. But worst of all was the absolute disgrace of a performance by Barca - still the most cynical, nastiest performance I've ever seen by a continental team at the Lane.

The ref bottled it big-time, they should have been down to 10 by half-time and 9 by full time. And more than that it was just horrible, horrible and a blot on football's copybook.

I've never liked Barca since and never will.

Very funny you should say this as it mirrors my feelings. All this 'wonderful club' and I remember what utter, utter butchers they were that night. Glennda spent the first-half literally high-jumping, it was absolutely unbelievable. If just one of those challenges happened today, instant red card, but there had to have been at the very least 12 of them. Filthy, dirty bastards! Yes, remember feeling so sorry for Clem, who was outstanding that year. Imagine if he'd done that today, he'd have been hung, drawn and quartered, but as I remember, the reaction was just overwhelming support. Remind me, as my memory tells me this was so, didn't Burky throw Chris Jones on for one of his last appearances, and did he not have a direct hand in the late equalizer that night? I remember Stevie P, the normally unflappable Stevie P, decided enough was enough in the second-half and nearly separated a Barca player at the hips, receiving a MASSIVE cheer in the process. Yeah, even though I had a Shelf season ticket that night I went in the Park Lane to try and help a mate with the ballot for Cup Final (I think it was for the final, rusty memory now) and remember seeing our boys exchanging scarves with the Barca fans above us before the match, only to see a few of those scarves then set fire to by ours at HT once people saw the disgrace which was Barca's 'performance' as well as hurls of abuse. I might have thrown a cheeky juvenile 'V' sign in there too come to think of it 8-[...to add the final insult, we scored a PERFECTLY good goal in the return which was disallowed for some phantom reason and there other dodgy decisions. Yes indeed mate, the ref absolutely shat out big time. Glad that someone else remembers the disgrace this was...to keep it thread-related, I genuinely NEVER saw even the dirtiest gooner side play like Barca did that night.

The comments on the goons is ridiculous IMO.
Wenger gets slated all ways for all things he says, but the bloke signed Podolski and Giroud, he signed Cazorla, they caved in and kept Walcott (even though I believe they were mugged there), I mean, it's ridiculous for people to say he doesn't 'sign' anyone. He DOES sign PLENTY but in the case of Gervinho (for example) he has a player who just cannot settle (but has the tools) and in Mertesacker, who took a long time to settle.
I cannot believe I am sympathizing with him, but seriously, who the fudge else should they sign right now? David Villa? Yes. So should we and a dozen others. Who's to say they can get him?
Maybe the only thing he hasn't done is what Harry did last year with the Parker signing, and that is get an experienced battling warrior. I was always relieved they didn't find one/sign one.
Seriously, some critics out there need to get a grip.
And to think, I actually fudging hate them and WISH what I'd written WASN'T true and that Wenger had, indeed, fudged them right up. He has a good squad, they just lack consistent conviction...and long may THAT continue!!!!!!!

My point wasn't just about ability but the fact that they replaced RVP with an out and out striker, like for like in that sense whereas Modric and to some extent VDV haven't been replaced for like for like players therefore we have had to adapt. Also we lost arguably our two most crucial players and with them not being replaced would have made us weaker....

I personally think RVP is much much more than an out and out striker. He can play that role, but he can also comfortably play the Bergkamp role too. He is a sensational player unfortunately.

For once i think he has a valid point and i agree. Either 2 transfers per window or remove the windows and allow transfers 24/7

On what basis should it be 2 transfers per window? A bit arbitrary methinks

All i can see 2 transfers per window achieving is footballers signing much shorter contracts.

Assuming free transfers would not come under the 2 transfer per window rule.

RvP has been replaced better than Modric imo

Giroud and Poldolski for him is better than Dembele and Sidurdsson/Dempsey for Modric and VDV

Back