• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I don't mean to rain on everyones parade, but they coped fine when he was injured for 90% of every season for the last about 5 seasons.

I know they heavily relied on him last year, but they're going to be in the race for 4th next year without a doubt.

Yeah. When they had Fabregas and Nasri.

The talent in their team is slowly diminishing over the seasons, and i doubt you'd find many Arsenal fans that would disagree..

Yeah. When they had Fabregas and Nasri.

The talent in their team is slowly diminishing over the seasons, and i doubt you'd find many Arsenal fans that would disagree..

Van persie completely carried them last season. They looked completely flat last season and genuinely struggled, it was fantastic goals he pulled out of nowhere that made a difference for them. I don't think giroud or podolski have that kind of quality. Another factor would be that they are running out of players that have a winning mentality as none of them have won anything. I don't think that can be underrated, also something we are missing and why I think we often stall.

In all honesty no-one knows what kind of impact Podolski and Giroud will have. No-one knows if another player will come in to replace van Persie or not. So it's crazy to speculate that the club will falter without van Persie (like we said they would when they got rid of both Fabregas and Nasri).

Arsenal's game hinges on getting the ball to a forward; RvP is merely the end-product. If you can get another player to finish off the team moves then it's not an issue. RvP -- a guy who was completely unreliable for a long, long time -- replaced Henry. Who's to say Podolski won't replace him?

As for those who left… Fabregas was gone 2 seasons before he went to Barcelona; Nasri was never consistent; Arshavin hasn't turned up for the last 3 seasons. What's been lost? Arsenal are still finishing ahead of teams who've strengthened and spent millions (Us, Chelsea and Liverpool), in spite of selling their big-name players. Another one leaving won't make a difference to a club like Arsenal because Arsenal are the most resourceful club in the world when it comes to finding talent.

In all honesty no-one knows what kind of impact Podolski and Giroud will have. No-one knows if another player will come in to replace van Persie or not. So it's crazy to speculate that the club will falter without van Persie (like we said they would when they got rid of both Fabregas and Nasri).

Arsenal's game hinges on getting the ball to a forward; RvP is merely the end-product. If you can get another player to finish off the team moves then it's not an issue. RvP -- a guy who was completely unreliable for a long, long time -- replaced Henry. Who's to say Podolski won't replace him?

As for those who left… Fabregas was gone 2 seasons before he went to Barcelona; Nasri was never consistent; Arshavin hasn't turned up for the last 3 seasons. What's been lost? Arsenal are still finishing ahead of teams who've strengthened and spent millions (Us, Chelsea and Liverpool), in spite of selling their big-name players. Another one leaving won't make a difference to a club like Arsenal because Arsenal are the most resourceful club in the world when it comes to finding talent.

You cant keep selling quality and replacing it with mediocre and not suffer after a while. Last season was also Arsenal's weakest under Wenger. There is no chance, absolutely zero, that Podolski can fill the RvP void - he simply isn't good/prolific enough.

Its indisputable that Arsenal are getting weaker season on season.

I don't mean to rain on everyones parade, but they coped fine when he was injured for 90% of every season for the last about 5 seasons.

I know they heavily relied on him last year, but they're going to be in the race for 4th next year without a doubt.

They had Henry, Adebayor, Fabregas, Nasri, etc. etc. to help them cope in those years, who've they got now? Walcott?!

Van Rapist. Genuine world-class goalscorer. But an utter despicable little cnut, with a face almost as slappable as Fabregas's.

Would you take him at Spurs?

Top goals AND assists for Arsenal last season. Not just the end-product, also a creator.

With the issues that come with signing a world class striker, wages and transfer fee, and Wengers reluctance to spend big, I can't see them getting anyone as good next season.

Edit: Arsenal finishing above us last season was also more due to us bottling it, than them being superior.

These are fair points but at the same time the team has gone from title contenders, to also rans, to 4th place contenders. This is a gradual decline in their fortunes over the last few years.

Each departure has weakened them, maybe not dramatically, but it is an eroding of their quality none the less. If RVP departs, which looks inevitable, this is more than just the loss of a great player. It is also the message it conveys to potential signings and even the current team.

WhoScored.com @WhoScored

Robin van Persie: As well as missing the most clear-cut chances in the PL last season (25), he also created the most (21) & scored most (21)

Van Rapist. Genuine world-class goalscorer. But an utter despicable little cnut, with a face almost as slappable as Fabregas's.

Would you take him at Spurs?
Besides being an Arsenal player, what has the guy done wrong? As much as I want to hate his guts, I think in recent years he has been a fairly likable bloke. Still, a very slappable face, mind.

yeah but 5 years ago they were challenging for the title.
now they're celebrating qualifying for champions league.
if they lose Persie and we keep Modric, we'll come out ahead.

That video is hilarious.

He is arguing that RVP should stay because Podolski is "German and knows what to do!" and Giroud "scored 20 goals in the French league or something like that!"

Love it. He has no idea who Giroud is.

Probably a wum.

They had Henry, Adebayor, Fabregas, Nasri, etc. etc. to help them cope in those years, who've they got now? Walcott?!

Van Persie signed in 2004. Since then they've finished either 3rd or 4th every season, each year they've lost one of their big players that you have mentioned above. Even with Van Persie out injured and losing Henry then Nasri then Fabregas, they've still consistently finished 3rd or 4th. So whatever Wenger is doing or whoever he is replacing them with is working whether we think his replacements are mediocre or not.

The transfer window is still open, who know's who they'll have by the end of it. Even if they don't sign anyone, they'll still be up there, Wenger as big a **** as he is, is a very good manager.

This is probably our best chance in years to finish above them, but its not a by-gone conclusion just because they've lost RVP.

Back