• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

John McDermott took on most of his portfolio.

Prices go up towards the end of the window, so it might be a strategic decision not to sell too early.
I don't think McDermott will be getting involved in that side of things. I would imagine that Levy will instead take on this role himself with the help of a few trusted agents.

The difference is Poch is signing players who are young, talented, ambitious and with a future, most of " rent a quote ' signings over the years have been of aged, past their best and mostly players whose agents are pals of his.
Please lets not go back to that on this thread.

Not really. He's crap at defending for one.
I disagree..... I think that it is simply that some of his decision making is poor at the moment. I also think that he was over confident on many occasions last season and tried to do too much on the ball.

Some of Stones' defending was excellent, but he undid his good work by making some horrific mistakes. I think as he takes on board good coaching, gains experience and starts to take the right option more often his overall performances will improve greatly.

Stones has the right physical attributes to play centre half, he is quick enough, good on the ball, has excellent vision, passes well and is generally positionally good for a player of his age. The reason that several of the top clubs want him (and Everton resisted big bids for him last year) are that coaches can see that he should develop into a brilliant central defender. The potential ceiling for Stones as a centre half is huge, that is why Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project are prepared to gamble big money on him now.

I disagree..... I think that it is simply that some of his decision making is poor at the moment. I also think that he was over confident on many occasions last season and tried to do too much on the ball.

Some of Stones' defending was excellent, but he undid his good work by making some horrific mistakes. I think as he takes on board good coaching, gains experience and starts to take the right option more often his overall performances will improve greatly.

Stones has the right physical attributes to play centre half, he is quick enough, good on the ball, has excellent vision, passes well and is generally positionally good for a player of his age. The reason that several of the top clubs want him (and Everton resisted big bids for him last year) are that coaches can see that he should develop into a brilliant central defender. The potential ceiling for Stones as a centre half is huge, that is why Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project are prepared to gamble big money on him now.

He's massively inconsistent, which isn't really a good attribute for any defender.

You don't spend 50M on a player that needs significant coaching to just get the basics right, honestly, Dier as CB in my opinion has impressed more, and looks like he has a higher ceiling and better flexibility (can play DM & LB).

This is just the "we must buy the next hyped player no matter what the price sickness" long may we stay out of that flimflam ...

He's massively inconsistent, which isn't really a good attribute for any defender.

You don't spend 50M on a player that needs significant coaching to just get the basics right, honestly, Dier as CB in my opinion has impressed more, and looks like he has a higher ceiling and better flexibility (can play DM & LB).

This is just the "we must buy the next hyped player no matter what the price sickness" long may we stay out of that hogwash ...
He is inconsistent because he is young and inexperienced. Many centre halves start out playing first team football in holding midfield or at fullback as they are easier positions to come into the team in. I think he will end up being absolutely first class if he is lucky avoiding serious injuries.

He is inconsistent because he is young and inexperienced. Many centre halves start out playing first team football in holding midfield or at fullback as they are easier positions to come into the team in. I think he will end up being absolutely first class if he is lucky avoiding serious injuries.

Fair call mate, I just don't see it (not that I have any particular claim to great spotting of talent).

Its the kind of risk only a few clubs can afford at that price point, wtf would his price be if he did improve?

Fair call mate, I just don't see it (not that I have any particular claim to great spotting of talent).

Its the kind of risk only a few clubs can afford at that price point, wtf would his price be if he did improve?
Indeed.... He is FAR too dear for the likes of us to take a chance on. It is telling that it is only the oil/gas money clubs that are bidding for him, but I think it is also telling that Everton knocked back about £40 million for him last season. Surely if he didn't have incredible natural talent they would've taken the money and run a year ago? (remember that Everton weren't exactly flush with cash back then either).

How exactly has John Stones value gone UP after the season he had last campaign?! Chelsea bid £26m, £28m and £30m, so his value has supposedly gone up a further £20m! Emirates Marketing Project are absolute mugs if they pay that for him. The defender who can do everything except defend.

Stellar euros for him... He didn't concede a goal or have a bad game

I really don't get the hype behind him at all. He hasnt had one solid season and yet he is talked of as the messiah of England's defence!!!

Indeed.... He is FAR too dear for the likes of us to take a chance on. It is telling that it is only the oil/gas money clubs that are bidding for him, but I think it is also telling that Everton knocked back about £40 million for him last season. Surely if he didn't have incredible natural talent they would've taken the money and run a year ago? (remember that Everton weren't exactly flush with cash back then either).

Problem with stones if for all his good footballing attributes he actually isn't good at the basics such as tackling and heading!!!

And in the subject of natural talent don't forget they got great money for the future England star Jack Rodwell from.... city

Everton aren't stupid when selling players and they don't get as much credit for it as they should. They know that if they can get £50m for him and buy in a decent centre back for £10/£15m they will be better off. You only need t
To look at Toby and Van Dijk to see what can be brought in and Wimmer for a more rarer examples. All players who have shown much much more defensive ability thatn stones and in the case of Toby for example a better football brain

They don't need him!!!!!!!!! Thank fudge they aren't the sort of club who will shell out overage for Pogba, because he is the player they need (regardless of being over-priced)...Mahrez? How many like him do they need???

All Wenger cares about is finishing in the top 4, finishing above Spurs, playing attractive football and scoring goals, and having a large chunk of cash in the bank. So season after season he achieves his objectives no matter the decisions he makes or whoever he buys. Job done

Back