• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defensive Midfielder

These are Dier's passes against Arsenal. Are these playing it simple to the player closest to him?

16la7vo.png
Please don't let facts get in the way of a good old "Football was better in my day when it was played the English way" argument.

By a way of comparison, here are the passes that Bentaleb in our home game against Arsenal last season

Bentaleb_passing_v_Arsenal.png

These are Dier's passes against Arsenal. Are these playing it simple to the player closest to him?

16la7vo.png
Diers passing is massively underrated and it's another reason why he has been a revelation . His football brain is a step up form a lot of players and he showed that with his oasis for Kane the other day in the England game. Delph would have put it in to touch, Dier lobbed the defence with an inch perfect pass to Kane. He has to carry on in midfield for me where he can become truly world class

, so I see you're very stubborn when you're proven wrong. The FACTS are: Dier is a defensive minded player, he primarily sits in front of the defence, his main skills are tackling, intercepting, playing it simple to the closest player to him. With him in the team even mason looked good and unleashed to be more attacking, we have been ,We are better defensively compared to the horror act season with such a defensive minded midfielder.

Now, because you think you are always right about everything and you explicitly said we didn't need a dm, you refuse to admit that having a dm has improved us tenfold. But it has. Be happy about it, we're better with a dm.
Dier is a player who can tackle intercept and screen very well. As Milo's posts show, that's not how he's deployed.

How do you sit behind the midfield and screen the defence when everyone is pushing up the pitch and compressing play?

I feel that I say this more than should ever be necessary, but the positions Sky Sports draw at the start of a match are not the whole story.

Diers passing is massively underrated and it's another reason why he has been a revelation . His football brain is a step up form a lot of players and he showed that with his oasis for Kane the other day in the England game. Delph would have put it in to touch, Dier lobbed the defence with an inch perfect pass to Kane. He has to carry on in midfield for me where he can become truly world class

I agree, I have been really impressed by his range of passing but he had demonstrated this when he was played at RB last season.

I agree, I have been really impressed by his range of passing but he had demonstrated this when he was played at RB last season.
I seem to remember from the articles I read when we first bought him that whilst he was a good defender, it was his ability with the ball at his feet that really stood him out from the pack.

Am I reading that chart wrong, or is that telling me Dier didn't make a single tackle against Arsenal?

It was a strange game for him though as they bypassed midfield and he was in effect shielding play and spent a lot of time pushing the ball forward

It was a strange game for him though as they bypassed midfield and he was in effect shielding play and spent a lot of time pushing the ball forward
Yeah true, and I know they always say about defenders the best tend not to make that many tackles - I just find that he didn't make a single one quite surprising!

Yeah true, and I know they always say about defenders the best tend not to make that many tackles - I just find that he didn't make a single one quite surprising!

I like the idea that the DM had to make no tackles as it highlights how dominant we were

He is a hell of a player and it's probably the only game this season where he hasn't made a tackle

I nwv3r said he was a bad tackler. I never used it as a negative, but as an observation, and yeh, they do look simple passes to me, not a bad thing. As for "in my day" I bet I'm a hell of a lot younger than you scara.

As for the Arsenal stat, we dominated pretty ,I have the whole game, what's the point?

If you don't think Dier sits in front of the back 4, you are simply blind. Or ignorant. Or lying.

Am I reading that chart wrong, or is that telling me Dier didn't make a single tackle against Arsenal?

He made 2 against Villa and none against Bournemouth or Swansea. His passing was even more expansive in those matches too.

That's the beauty of not having a DM in that role - a dinosaur like Parker would be wasted in those matches because what we needed was someone who can tackle when required but (at least as importantly) can take up a full and valuable role in our passing game.

Not for the first time you will keep insisting you are right, stop spinning plates mate.
Ok, would you rather describe him as a DM that isn't tackling or intercepting but is doing a lot of passing?

I genuinely cannot understand why people in this country can't cope with the concept that the deepest lying midfielder is not necessarily a DM.

Ok, would you rather describe him as a DM that isn't tackling or intercepting but is doing a lot of passing?

I genuinely cannot understand why people in this country can't cope with the concept that the deepest lying midfielder is not necessarily a DM.

Do you look at yourself in a mirror at yourself and argue all the time? and do you manage to convince yourself that you are infallible?

Back