• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defensive Midfielder

But we never had a chance to sign him because the player made it clear he would not leave Southampton for a non CL side and with the wages we pay we could not tempt him money
But he would have joined us if there were no CL suitors. For the meantime we are shopping in the CL rejects pool

At this point in time I don't think that provides a good enough explanation as to why we haven't signed a decent defensive midfielder or striker.
Anyone at or around our level should be harbouring hopes of a CL team, otherwise they don't think much of their own abilities. Until those teams are done shopping, players at our level are probably not likely to move.

We also differ from those teams in that £1-2m overspent on a player here or there makes a major difference to our ability to spend on other players. 2 of the 4 above us can tinkle away our Bale spend every year and not notice it. The other two are significantly richer than us and unlikely to care about overspend of that size.

Poch doesn't want one and we want Ade and/or Soldado out first.
For the purposes of the discussion I'm assuming DM to mean a midfielder with marginally better defensive ability than we have.

Otherwise I agree.

Anyone at or around our level should be harbouring hopes of a CL team, otherwise they don't think much of their own abilities. Until those teams are done shopping, players at our level are probably not likely to move.

We also differ from those teams in that £1-2m overspent on a player here or there makes a major difference to our ability to spend on other players. 2 of the 4 above us can **** away our Bale spend every year and not notice it. The other two are significantly richer than us and unlikely to care about overspend of that size.

Spot on.

Poch doesn't want one and we want Ade and/or Soldado out first.
Really then why did we pursue schneiderlin last season and eventually settle on Stamboulli why did he sign Wanyama at soton and why play Dier in midfield ? I don't think you are right.

When I say a defensive midfielder I mean one who is more defensive minded.

In that case I agree that's what we're looking for, it's just the conversation started with Yoof saying Poch didn't want a DM (which you quoted and said why was he after MS)

We also differ from those teams in that £1-2m overspent on a player here or there makes a major difference to our ability to spend on other players. 2 of the 4 above us can **** away our Bale spend every year and not notice it. The other two are significantly richer than us and unlikely to care about overspend of that size.
Not good enough. If we can't get someone of CL level then we get someone at the twilight of their career to bring existing players on like Leicester did with Cambiasso last season. Alternatively we bring in loan players didn't a team recently bring in Yann M'villa? Didn't soton take a risk with jordi classie. The players are out there nd we have employed some well connected people to find them.

If Palace can get a midfielder like Cabaye there have got to be suitable players we can buy. What we gain in chasing last minute value at the end of transfer window we lose in points when we have not strengthened our team

I like Cabaye but we don't know the reasons why we didn't go for him, it is possible that Poch didn't fancy him.

Not good enough. If we can't get someone of CL level then we get someone at the twilight of their career to bring existing players on like Leicester did with Cambiasso last season. Alternatively we bring in loan players didn't a team recently bring in Yann M'villa? Didn't soton take a risk with jordi classie. The players are out there nd we have employed some well connected people to find them.

Isn't another option to do what we are doing which is to wait until the big clubs have finished shopping and then buy the best of what is left? It is the approach that has resulted in us signing some of our best current players.

Isn't another option to do what we are doing which is to wait until the big clubs have finished shopping and then buy the best of what is left? It is the approach that has resulted in us signing some of our best current players.
I hear you mate but imo we are not competing with the big boys for the likes of Bender. I would agree with you completely if it were not for the fact that the other players I mentioned had not been snapped up by non CL teams. For example why were we not taking a punt on M'villa? Or cabaye?

I hear you mate but imo we are not competing with the big boys for the likes of Bender. I would agree with you completely if it were not for the fact that the other players I mentioned had not been snapped up by non CL teams. For example why were we not taking a punt on M'villa? Or cabaye?

maybe we're after something better than a punt

Presumably because we think that we can get better.

I agree with Scara, any midfielder that we are bringing in to improve our midfield is going to be Champions League quality and may want to wait to see if a Champions League club comes in for them.

But he would have joined us if there were no CL suitors. For the meantime we are shopping in the CL rejects pool

Not necessarily, historically we have only made the CL once in its history. He could very well decide to stay at Southampton instead of signing for another club does not have any CL pedigree. Besides the simple fact that he indicated as far back as January that he would only sign for a CL team we should have at the very least identified options B & C and if necessary D in case we were unable to sign him

I like Cabaye but we don't know the reasons why we didn't go for him, it is possible that Poch didn't fancy him.

You are missing the point, I am not saying we should have signed him just that there were players of that ability level available and that depending on who you target you do not always have to make your signings after the top CL teams have done their business.

You are missing the point, I am not saying we should have signed him just that there were players of that ability level available and that depending on who you target you do not always have to make your signings after the top CL teams have done their business.

If we ended up with a player with a higher ceiling at the end of the summer, do you think that it will have been worth the wait?

Presumably because we think that we can get better.

I agree with Scara, any midfielder that we are bringing in to improve our midfield is going to be Champions League quality and may want to wait to see if a Champions League club comes in for them.
Perhaps, but sensible posters like you and Billy can predict how this will pan out.
Fans are happy because Dier had a good game this time. But make no mistake he will have sloppy moments and make mistakes just like Bentaleb then sadly fans will get on the back of another young player who will cop the blame for our inability to bring in the right players.

maybe we're after something better than a punt
And maybe we're after someone better than Bender. It could be that he's our last resort.

Not necessarily, historically we have only made the CL once in its history. He could very well decide to stay at Southampton instead of signing for another club does not have any CL pedigree. Besides the simple fact that he indicated as far back as January that he would only sign for a CL team we should have at the very least identified options B & C and if necessary D in case we were unable to sign him
I'm pretty sure nobody but the most inbred of SCBC fans would stay there over Spurs.

Back