• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

The thought that the Aus bowling attack is better than South Africa doesn't seem so stupid now.

It's still ridiculous. If we were facing the South Africans this winter I don't think a single test would have gone past 3 days and we'd likely follow on every innings.

Australia have bowled well no question, but England have made them look better than they are IMO

Two people leaving straight balls, Pietersen playing a needless shot against a ball he could have left... it's just shambolic batting against good, disciplined bowling. Australia have a good pace attack, no doubt, but we are making all of them look better than they are. The batsmen's minds are scrambled, they have no confidence and are playing in fear, hence the repeated capitulations. I can't believe we've lost 5 - 0 to this particular Aussie team, which can afford to carry at least 4 players and still thrash us.

Well that just caps a painfully bad 24 hours of sport!

@bbctms: The Pomnishambles is complete. Only the third Ashes whitewash in history is completed as Australia win the SCG Test inside 3 days. #thrashes

I have a feeling the fun is only just beginning. Can't wait for KP to open up and tell us all what happened.

That was utter filth last night to get rolled in under 50 overs is pathetic where England go from here I've no idea. South Africa in the summer could be painful too

England ratings!

Cook - 3. Poor captaincy and poor batting.
Carberry - 5. Tried, but never really got going.
Trott - n/a
Pietersen - 3. Not suitable for games when you need to dig in.
Bell - 4. Poor series.
Root - 4. Really needs to work on aspects of his technique.
Prior - 2. Awful.
Broad - 6. Best of the bowlers.
Swann - 4. Quitting halfway through an Ashes series? Bottlejob.
Anderson - 5. Couldn't get any swing going and looked like he couldn't be arsed too often.
Bresnan - 4. Not up to much.
Stokes - 7. Only slight bright spark.
Bairstow - 4. Sloppy keeping.
Panesar - 4. Meh.

Rest not worth rating.

England ratings!

Cook - 3. Poor captaincy and poor batting.
Carberry - 5. Tried, but never really got going.
Trott - n/a
Pietersen - 3. Not suitable for games when you need to dig in.
Bell - 4. Poor series.
Root - 4. Really needs to work on aspects of his technique.
Prior - 2. Awful.
Broad - 6. Best of the bowlers.
Swann - 4. Quitting halfway through an Ashes series? Bottlejob.
Anderson - 5. Couldn't get any swing going and looked like he couldn't be arsed too often.
Bresnan - 4. Not up to much.
Stokes - 7. Only slight bright spark.
Bairstow - 4. Sloppy keeping.
Panesar - 4. Meh.

Rest not worth rating.

Stokes 8
Broad 6

Rest 1

How is Warner being carried? Top run scorer in the series and averaged 58. Watson also kept an end very tight with his bowling and got some useful runs. Smith didn't score big runs but chipped in when the other didn't, his 2 centuries arguably won both of those test matches or certainly tipped the balance in their favour.

I would say Bailey was carried and should be dropped from the test squad.

How is Warner being carried? Top run scorer in the series and averaged 58. Watson also kept an end very tight with his bowling and got some useful runs. Smith didn't score big runs but chipped in when the other didn't, his 2 centuries arguably won both of those test matches or certainly tipped the balance in their favour.

I would say Bailey was carried and should be dropped from the test squad.

While I might not describe him as being carried, Warner was poor in the first innings through the whole series.

1st Innings: 49, 29, 60, 9, 16
2nd Innings: 124, 83*, 112, 25, 16

The same for Shane Watson
1st Innings: 22, 51, 18, 10, 43
2nd Innings: 6, 0 , 103, 83*, 0

Watson and Warner are one day players and it showed in this series IMO. Excellent one day players, don't get me wrong, but with the freedom of a 200 run lead they smashed it around the park but first innings where they were trying to build the lead they were nowhere.

The Australian batting from 1-6 was actually pretty poor this whole series. Outrageous that Haddin didn't get Man of the Series, he literally carried their first innings in every test. Every first innings we had them 5 or 6 down on a low score and Haddin walks to the crease and puts on a 100+ partnership or two to rescue them.

Haddin gave Australia the lead (with the help of some good bowling and simply pathetic batting) and players like Warner merely extended it. Put him in a position to bat like a test opener and not a one day player and he's average at best.

Back