• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

umm no. Our first innings in the first test you knocked us over for less than 300. You got to play on a pretty clean day 2 deck with all the momentum and bottled it.

Doesn't change the fact that the side that won the toss last summer also dominated the match. There was a time when football matches used to be decided by a coin toss. I'm talking about the actual outcome btw not just deciding which side kicked off. It's such an arbitrary thing that is so crucial to the game. We would probably still be 2-0 down anyway the way we're playing, but he made a good point regardless.

This has been so frustrating. Seems to keep happening too. Can you imagine Prior & Stokes putting on circa.150 for us for the sixth wicket....?!

The main difference so far has been Haddin. His runs so far down the order have been invaluable whereas Prior has thrown his wicket away. Commentators last night were also comparing Johnson batting at 8 v Stokes batting at 6. Arguably Johnson is a better bat yet Stokes is more important to your batting line up.

I think it's more coincidental than anything else. Winning the toss and more than likely batting first gives a marginal at best advantage, especially in Aus conditions and more traditional English conditions (although you may have a point on the last series since the wickets were set up for Swan to do his thing on days 4 & 5).

Tried to stay up to watch the cricket last night, didn't last long. I was probably dreaming but I was convinced I heard Nasser Hussain tell Michael Atherton to "**** off" during the commentary, can anyone confirm this did or didn't happen? I was so sure it was real :lol:

Good day so far for England, the last session coming up is crucial, KP and Cook have to make a decent stand here

As for the Root decision, a total joke, Erasmus again, the bloke is a clown, no edge on hotspot and no noticeable noise, once again the luck goes to the Aussies

August 3rd, 2013

Geoffrey Boycott has slammed umpire Marais Erasmus and called on the ICC to drop him from the series following another day of controversial decisions in the third Test at Old Trafford.
Audio: Ashes perspective: Geoffrey Boycott (ABC News)

The South African official has been at the centre of a wealth of disputable decisions since the series began at Trent Bridge, and Boycott believes the only solution is for him to be pulled altogether.

Erasmus ruled Tim Bresnan out caught behind when England took to the crease in the latter stages of the second day of play in Manchester, though replays showed he had not made contact, the ball hitting his trousers.

The Decision Review System and the vexed question of when umpires should be helped by technology have been behind several talking points this Ashes, with Australia batsman Usman Khawaja's dismissal in the third Test at Old Trafford the latest.

In the first Test at Trent Bridge, Erasmus ruled in Ashton Agar's favour when he looked to have been stumped on six. He also controversially overturned Aleem Dar's original not out decision and instructed him to give Jonathan Trott out lbw.

As the host broadcaster was using Hotspot to illustrate a replay of the previous wicket, the thermal imaging system was not available to Erasmus.

At Lord's, Chris Rogers missed his attempted pull at an accidental full toss from Graeme Swann, a ball the off-spinner later said was the worst he'd bowled, and was struck at box height. Erasmus upheld England's lbw appeal and Rogers opted against a referral.

But replays showed the ball missing leg-stump.

With a rising number of debatable calls being made by Erasmus, Boycott added his voice to those calling for a replacement umpire.

"What would worry me is Erasmus the umpire," Boycott said at the close of play on day two. "He's had a shocker this series.

"If I was batting tomorrow I would be more worried about when I'm batting and he's umpiring at the bowler's end than I would be about Australia's bowlers.

"That was a straightforward decision (Bresnan).

"If I was the ICC I wouldn't defend the indefensible, I would say 'listen he's not doing the job he needs to have a rest'."

While Boycott has been frank in his assessment of Erasmus, Australia captain Michael Clarke offered a more diplomatic response when asked about the umpiring this series.

"I don't think it's smart for me to go into it," he said. "The result is the result. Let's move on."

England is 2 for 52 in reply to Australia's first innings 7 for 527 declared, a deficit of 475 runs, in a match the tourists need to win, 2-0 down with three to play.

Time is going to be a factor even if we manage to pass or even get close to the convicts total. Our run rate is so painfully slow that it won't leave much time unless we pick up the pace.
Agreed a draw is no good maybe they will try push on today .. Otherwise well just roll over and let the Aussies tickle their bellys

Time is going to be a factor even if we manage to pass or even get close to the convicts total. Our run rate is so painfully slow that it won't leave much time unless we pick up the pace.

A draw at least keeps us alive in the series. I think we try plug away and try to get as close to the Aussies score as we can and see what happens in the second innings. No point in losing the last few wickets for 50 runs trying to speed up the pace and then battle for a draw on day 5. Bat normally and maybe we get within 50 and bowl the Aussies out quickly and cheaply.

130 odd behind, Broad off for an Xray, this test is almost certainly gone.

I'm an optimist in sport and still thought the ashes were alive this morning. Just don't see us getting even a draw out of this game now.

Swann coming on, who knows what might happen.

Back