• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

Anyone else a bit disappointed we didn't go for it more today? I get that the most important thing is to retain the Ashes, but this test was still there to be won, however unlikely that was. Cook seems like a very cautious captain to me.

Anyone else a bit disappointed we didn't go for it more today? I get that the most important thing is to retain the Ashes, but this test was still there to be won, however unlikely that was. Cook seems like a very cautious captain to me.

I don't think it matters, Australia's best chance of winning is to set us a gettable target. All these Australian wickets have fallen because they were trying to score runs quickly. If Australia bat tomorrow and get up to 400 ahead, England won't feel winning is feasible and will block the game out. Which would make Australia winning even more challenging.

Whereas if they declare now England won't shut up shop and can try and win the game, which inevitably will lead to riskier shot selections. Also there would be 90 overs, so if they're still in it after 80 they get a brand new cherry to try and finish the lower order with.

All that is with a clear day weather wise though, which is the forecasters are right is a slim to none chance.

England draw they retain the Ashes. Cook is playing for a draw. Well within his rights to, but its bloody boring for the series.

I haven't rated his captaincy thus far. I liked you guys under Strauss personally. I thought he would definitely go for the jugular and want that 5-0 which up until now looked like a good bet.

Manchester forecast doesn't look good.

Cloudy with rain persisting for much of the day, very heavy at times with a risk of thundery bursts and localised flooding. Towards evening the rain will ease and slowly clear eastwards, perhaps allowing some late brightness in the west.

Must admit even though I'm no fan of the Aussies, but Clarke for example really is a good player to watch, he likes to score quickly. Part of me understands a cautious approach, but the other part of me thinks go for it 100% of the time, same goes for any sport. If you're playing football and you need a draw, go for the win just in case.

They're having tea, looks like the rain will win this one (and England ;)).

Edit - 555 for me
_39069379_umpire_quirk_203270.jpg

been in the motor all day so only had tms, they were happy with the decision despite hot spot showing nothing, any clues as to what it was?

There was clearly no contact on hotspot but I guess they have to go with the umpire when inconclusive. The ball didn't move in the air going past the bat.

If I had to guess at what made the noise I'd say Haddin's tongue.

All this talk of a 10-0 whitewash is complete gonads. Australia aren't that bad, heck they could have been 2-1 up if the weather had been better. Does anyone think we will win 5-0 in Australia if we bat like we have done so far in this series? Cook has been poor, Root has had one good innings from six, Trott is out of form, Bairstow looks unconvincing.

All this talk of a 10-0 whitewash is complete gonads. Australia aren't that bad, heck they could have been 2-1 up if the weather had been better. Does anyone think we will win 5-0 in Australia if we bat like we have done so far in this series? Cook has been poor, Root has had one good innings from six, Trott is out of form, Bairstow looks unconvincing.

England have been poor by their recent standards and they have already retained the Ashes after 3 matches. That shows their dominance, they are at maybe 60% and already have the series wrapped up.

Ill agree about Bairstow though, I'd like to see Taylor come in at 6.

There was clearly no contact on hotspot but I guess they have to go with the umpire when inconclusive. The ball didn't move in the air going past the bat.

If I had to guess at what made the noise I'd say Haddin's tongue.

Or silicon taping around the bat apparantly.

Back