• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
no thanks.Maybe 5-10 years ago but not now

why do people come out with these comments so easily

is he brick now or something, can you conclusively and confidently say that he wont add anything to our team?

you see him alot then? whats he missing?

is he brick now or something, can you conclusively and confidently say that he wont add anything to our team?

I suppose it is like saying, would you take Giggs from now, or Giggs from 10 years ago?.. You'd always take the younger player. Obviously as you get older your legs start to go a bit, del Piero is still a terrific player. Juventus are still unbeaten in all competitions this year but he still plays games and still scores goals, his roles over the years have just changed that is all, much like Giggs.

People made the same comments when Raul was linked to us before going to Schalke, I think we could have got some use out of him as well, as long as we had an Ade type striker still in our ranks.

If he's coming for 1 last pay day I don't think we stand a hope in hell, Chelsea wouldn't touch him and I don't think Wenger would either, that just leaves QPR and Fulham and I doubt he'd be interested in them. No, I think the reason he wants to come to London is because he's probably always dreamed of playing in the Prem and London appeals to him, now's a good time to leave Juve after winning the title again. I personally wouldn't have any problem if that was his motivation for coming, as long as he wouldn't expect more than 75-80k a week, he should just about be able to live on that in London!

I suppose it is like saying, would you take Giggs from now, or Giggs from 10 years ago?.. You'd always take the younger player. Obviously as you get older your legs start to go a bit, del Piero is still a terrific player. Juventus are still unbeaten in all competitions this year but he still plays games and still scores goals, his roles over the years have just changed that is all, much like Giggs.

personally i think Giggs would walk into our team.

If I had to pick someone from the Italian golden era, it would be Nesta. (He's available BTW.)
It doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy with Del Piero, but Shawcross would end his career in 5 mins.

If I had to pick someone from the Italian golden era, it would be Nesta. (He's available BTW.)
It doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy with Del Piero, but Shawcross would end his career in 5 mins.

he is?

fudging get him in too. this could be a great summer.

none of these guys can expect to start. squad rotation with no issues here we come

Alessandro Nesta is leaving AC Milan at the end of the season.

Nesta has enjoyed a trophy-laden 10 years with the Italian giants and the 36-year-old defender is considering a move to America.

'This was my last season with Milan,' Nesta told reporters on Thursday.

'I've evaluated everything and the high pace of the Italian league, the Champions League and the Italian Cup means that I can't play all the time. And I'm not one to sit and wait on the bench.'

Nesta has been linked with a move to New York Red Bulls.

He said: 'I would very happily go to the United States, it would be a good experience. It wouldn't be bad to cross the ocean. But until I have signed, I'm not going to say anything.'

Nesta won a Serie A title, two Italian Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup with his first club Lazio before moving to the San Siro in 2002.

There he won the Italian title twice, two Champions Leagues and his second Italian Cup.

Nesta, earned the last of his Italy caps in 2006 and retired from international football as a World Cup winner.

His last game will be on Sunday against Novara.

Milan director Umberto Gandini tweeted: 'Nesta leaves AC Milan after 10 years of successful and brilliant service. What a person, what a player! Wishing him well in his next job!!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ndro-Nesta-leaves-AC-Milan.html#ixzz1v1zcdbwP

Alessandro Nesta is leaving AC Milan at the end of the season.

Nesta has enjoyed a trophy-laden 10 years with the Italian giants and the 36-year-old defender is considering a move to America.

'This was my last season with Milan,' Nesta told reporters on Thursday.

'I've evaluated everything and the high pace of the Italian league, the Champions League and the Italian Cup means that I can't play all the time. And I'm not one to sit and wait on the bench.'

Nesta has been linked with a move to New York Red Bulls.

He said: 'I would very happily go to the United States, it would be a good experience. It wouldn't be bad to cross the ocean. But until I have signed, I'm not going to say anything.'

Nesta won a Serie A title, two Italian Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup with his first club Lazio before moving to the San Siro in 2002.

There he won the Italian title twice, two Champions Leagues and his second Italian Cup.

Nesta, earned the last of his Italy caps in 2006 and retired from international football as a World Cup winner.

His last game will be on Sunday against Novara.

Milan director Umberto Gandini tweeted: 'Nesta leaves AC Milan after 10 years of successful and brilliant service. What a person, what a player! Wishing him well in his next job!!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ndro-Nesta-leaves-AC-Milan.html#ixzz1v1zcdbwP

meh, he wont come then

You need to weight up benefits of a player like Del Piero versus another player who may contribute more. The 25 man squad means you have 4 forwards basically, so would he be worth one of those spots? I haven't seen him much in the last few years, but the few times I have he wasn't up to much. Considering his age I don't think he really passes the Levy age profile test either. So for me no.

If we are looking for VDV cover I'd rather Dembele who can cover back in midfield too (and tackle - 3 highest number of tackles in the league) or move Kranjcar to No. 10 where I think he'd be way more effective.

Seems like the Modric comments were taken out of context by the Mirror :evil::

The Luka Modric transfer 'Exclusives' today are nothing of the sort but there are still worries

Posted by SPORT WITNESS on May 16, 2012 at 9:22 in Sport Witness Football

Oh Luka, the season has barely ended and the Modric Transfer Circus hadn't officially started yet, why did you have to wake it from its slumber?

What's that Luka? You didn't, you just spoke to a football magazine about Croatia and other things a while back and can't understand why half the English media is running quotes as exclusives today?

We'll stop pretending to talk to Luka Modric and get to the bottom of this.

World Soccer magazine have a rather excellent Euro 2012 magazine that's been out for a week or so now, in it they talk to players who will be taking part. One of those is Luka Modric, and the first question is about his future and he responds "I will decide about my future after the Euros. More precisely, I will make my decision where to continue with my career.

I'm ready for big tests. I want to prove, together with the help of my team mates, that Croatia has the potential to reach the quarter-finals, and then we'll see."

The first part of that quote, along with the 'ready for big tests' is what is all over the football news today. Some are claiming it as an 'Exclusive' and others are citing 'sources'. It's not new, indeed it would have been weeks ago, and the only people who can claim the story are surely World Soccer.

However, Modric is happy to talk about his future and the possibility of a change but says that any transfer will not be motivated by money "The only thing that could encourage me to leave is my ambition, not money. If the money was the reason then I would have already accepted the offer of chairman Levy.

I was hoping this season we would win a trophy, the FA Cup, but we lost to Chelsea. Some people blamed me but I've never shirked my responsibilities."

So, no mad panic for those Spurs fans who are desperate for Luka Modric to stay, but the sings are that it won't be hard for a club to turn the Croatian's head. Again.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...sfer-exclusives-today-are-nothing-of-the-sort

I'd make it clear to Modric that the if he is to be sold, it will only be to a foreign club. No way should we bend over for the Mancs.

That said, I think with CL football (lets pray!) and proper reinforcements in the summer, we can convince him to stay another year.

Italy playmaker Montolivo, 27, joins the Rossoneri on a free transfer after seven years at La Viola, while veteran Dutchman Van Bommel returns to his former club on a one-year contract.

"Next season Montolivo will arrive and he is a very talented player with great technique,” Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri told his club's TV channel.

"Milan will remain competitive next year and we must continue the work we started last season. We need to begin again with great enthusiasm."

Seedorf leaving also apparently.

Dear Mr Levy, if you get in Seedorf I will definitely get a new home kit with his name printed on the back of it.

nope I havent seen him a lot. However very few outfield players are still going strong at 37, let alone 38 or 39 assuming we would give him a 1 or 2 year deal. And thats simply because the pace and intensity of the game are so high that they cant compete, plus might not have the desire to compete given they're at teh end of their careers.

For every Sheringham who plays til he's 40, there's dozens of others who couldnt play on that long. And the problem is exacerbated when players have had injuries like Del Piero. And in to that the fact that he's never played in England so might take time to settle or not settle at all then I think its a stupid risk to take. It would also tie up a chunk of the wage bill which could be used on either say, retaining Modric, or paid to a player who unlike Del Pieo might actually be at the club for more than 1 or 2 years

Italy playmaker Montolivo, 27, joins the Rossoneri on a free transfer after seven years at La Viola, while veteran Dutchman Van Bommel returns to his former club on a one-year contract.

"Next season Montolivo will arrive and he is a very talented player with great technique,” Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri told his club's TV channel.

"Milan will remain competitive next year and we must continue the work we started last season. We need to begin again with great enthusiasm."

get seedorf in too please

Seedorf leaving also apparently.

Dear Mr Levy, if you get in Seedorf I will definitely get a new home kit with his name printed on the back of it.

please GHod bring us seedorf

Last edited:
nope I havent seen him a lot. However very few outfield players are still going strong at 37, let alone 38 or 39 assuming we would give him a 1 or 2 year deal. And thats simply because the pace and intensity of the game are so high that they cant compete, plus might not have the desire to compete given they're at teh end of their careers.

For every Sheringham who plays til he's 40, there's dozens of others who couldnt play on that long. And the problem is exacerbated when players have had injuries like Del Piero. And in to that the fact that he's never played in England so might take time to settle or not settle at all then I think its a stupid risk to take. It would also tie up a chunk of the wage bill which could be used on either say, retaining Modric, or paid to a player who unlike Del Pieo might actually be at the club for more than 1 or 2 years

so the whole 5 or 10 years ago thing is more to do with logistics than anything else

i'd give him a crack personally. we lost nothing with naybet, we lost nothing with freidel, we lost nothing with gallas.....

i'd do it . all that experience and natural ability to see out games

sign me up.

i still remember you del piero..even if these people dont

so the whole 5 or 10 years ago thing is more to do with logistics than anything else

i'd give him a crack personally. we lost nothing with naybet, we lost nothing with freidel, we lost nothing with gallas.....

i'd do it . all that experience and natural ability to see out games

sign me up.

i still remember you del piero..even if these people dont

Nothing to do with logistics. All to do with risk and cash.

Freidel is a keeper so very different. Naybet signed when he was 34, Gallas when he was 33. Del Piero is 37

The risk is that we pay him ?ú80k per week or ?ú4m per year for a couple years and that he either doesnt settle or add much to the team (given that his style isnt exactly what we need) or that he is ready for the knackers yard. If he wants to come on a pay per play deal then great but he wouldnt want that

re your comment about 'i still remember you del piero' - thats the problem!...we're not signing him on the basis of what we remember or what he has done but what he can do in the future. At 37 and having never played in england, that has to be a massive risk

I'd make it clear to Modric that the if he is to be sold, it will only be to a foreign club. No way should we bend over for the Mancs.

That said, I think with CL football (lets pray!) and proper reinforcements in the summer, we can convince him to stay another year.

thats the thing though, he doesnt really want to stay at spurs does he. I dont want a player who isnt really enjoying his time here. Its like when things are going bad with a gf, you try and convince her that its going well and to stay with you, then she dumps you a few months later anyway.

I say sell him for as much money as possible, and reinvest in the squad.

Back