• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This appears to imply that Harry has a choice in the matter, when frankly if Levy wants him gone, his ass is grass, big compensation or not.

And there lies the flaw in the ITK argument. This whole "Levy wants him gone" theme that is running seems to hinge on the idea it can go either way. It cant.

If Levy wants him gone, hes gone, simple as that.

No mythical meeting of minds between them is going to change that, the decision is already made.

If they meet it will be for one of two things (predetermined by Levy)

1) New deal for Redknapp, ongoing transfer strategy
or 2) Bye bye Redknapp, mutual consent or sacking?

On Lambert, I'm not really sure he is a pure route-one manager. I think he simply plays the game he needs to play to give him the best possible chance. If he needs to go long he will, but I went to see Norwich a lot in the season they got promoted and they had to be patient to win a lot of games. He just exploits the space or weakness wherever it lies on the pitch and can be extremely tactically flexible. He's also studied in Germany, so I'm not sure that he would be a pure long ball merchant, again I just think he does what needs to be done. That relies on knowing what the situation requires, but he seems to get it right more often than not.

A shame he is leaving Norwich, but maybe he worries that he can't achieve more there, the only route is down, and he if he doesn't move now he could be stuck. But to really agitate for the move to Villa is a strange one. They are slashing their wage bill at a horrific rate and I can only really see them getting maximum an 8th place finish if everything goes well for them. Maybe it is just about getting a bigger wage packet, and the hope that a bigger club will recognise their talents and come in for them anyway in the future. I just thought he would rather wait. Oh well.

Isn't it amazing that Villa need a boss and you have Rodgers, Martinez and Lambert as the three up-and-coming managers...and Villa plump for Lambert? The only one of the three who plays Route 1 football and, of the three, the most dour, low-key character.

Now don't get me wrong - Lambert has done an ace, ace job. Fair play to him and of the three he might be the big talent. But he's by far the most (how shall we say?) austere, utilitarian of the three. A weirdly appropriate choice for Villa, and yet at the same time a missed opportunity to change the mood music around the club which I think the other two would do and I think is the thing Villa need more than anything.

Lambert is by far the best of those three and will end up having the best career imo.

Lambert is by far the best of those three and will end up having the best career imo.

Everyone else must be seeing something with Martinez that I don't. Certainly not enough that I'd want to replace a manager who has got us top four twice in the last three years. I'm receptive to change but Martinez feels like a big gamble

Everyone else must be seeing something with Martinez that I don't. Certainly not enough that I'd want to replace a manager who has got us top four twice in the last three years. I'm receptive to change but Martinez feels like a big gamble

No I don't really see it with Martinez either tbh. Fair play to him for the football that Wigan sometimes play and their escapes the last couple of season but why on earth were they getting themselves into that kind of situation in the first place? Why do they only seem to be able to do something when their status is threatened? Almost no-one would have brought him up in any of these conversations two or so months ago.

No I don't really see it with Martinez either tbh. Fair play to him for the football that Wigan sometimes play and their escapes the last couple of season but why on earth were they getting themselves into that kind of situation in the first place? Why do they only seem to be able to do something when their status is threatened? Almost no-one would have brought him up in any of these conversations two or so months ago.

The thing with Martinez is that his players obviously want to play for him and he sticks to playing football. Too be as good as relegated two seasons running yet your players are still playing for you means he has certainly got something going for him.

He also sowed the seeds at Swansea which first Sousa and then Rodgers have taken a bit further, I'm sure if Rodgers had gone into a job following someone like Bruce he wouldn't have had the same success.

There is a lot to like about Martinez. He has the right philosophy, he is an extremely likable guy, he buys quite well (at that level), his players clearly love him (as does his chairman) and he is willing to think deeply about what is best for the team - make a change and go for it.

My biggest concern with his Wigan team is the total inability to defend whenever I see them. Sometimes I wonder if he would do better with better players, other times I think he just doesnt know how to set a defensive shape.

The thing with Martinez is that his players obviously want to play for him and he sticks to playing football. Too be as good as relegated two seasons running yet your players are still playing for you means he has certainly got something going for him.

He also sowed the seeds at Swansea which first Sousa and then Rodgers have taken a bit further, I'm sure if Rodgers had gone into a job following someone like Bruce he wouldn't have had the same success.

Of course and I really like him as a person and respect him as a manager, especially for sticking to his philosophy. And while its great that he does these escapes, its hard to escape the fact that he and Wigan find themselves in this situation in the first place, losing 8/9 games in a row.

I think Rodgers will fail at Liverpool. The pressure, the squad, the fans' expectations etc. Just don't think it will work.

Of course and I really like him as a person and respect him as a manager, especially for sticking to his philosophy. And while its great that he does these escapes, its hard to escape the fact that he and Wigan find themselves in this situation in the first place, losing 8/9 games in a row.

I think Rodgers will fail at Liverpool. The pressure, the squad, the fans' expectations etc. Just don't think it will work.

if Loius Van Gaal is the director of football as well as them have a director of football i charge of statistics..then i think Rodgers will do fine. infact i think that model will catch on

if Loius Van Gaal is the director of football as well as them have a director of football i charge of statistics..then i think Rodgers will do fine. infact i think that model will catch on

What would this guy actually do?

Go around telling people their stats aren't good enough and they must do better?

The earliest sign of Rodgers doing poorly and the fans will be asking why this person who has achieved nothing is manager, while someone who has won league titles in 3 countries and champions leagues is sitting upstairs in the boardroom.

A lot of them were already apoplectic about the shortlist seemingly being Rodgers, Martinez etc when Capello, AVB, Benitez and Van Gaal were all available for free.

Not to mention that British fans seem to have major problems with the DoF role.

Back