• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad

The other team and player would need to agree. It's not a free pick.
But there's 100s of top flight clubs across the world, and you only need to find one.

Worst case - play the emotions and get Lloris back from the museum for a short swansong/more fitting farewell

View on our transfer window (one of the authors is former head of Brentford's player analytics), a little obnoxious .. but whatever ..

https://www.thetransferflow.com/p/manchester-united-still-miles-off-rivals

Tottenham Hotspur — Massive sticker shock

Total incomings — £138.5m​

• Dominic Solanke — £55m + £10m add-ons
  • Archie Gray — £35m
  • Wilson Odobert — £25m + £5m add-ons
  • Lucas Bergvall — £8.5m
  • Timo Werner — Loan, £8.5m buy option
They paid full freight for Solanke, but desperately needed him. I guess they saved up by not having a real CF last season. Sorry, Ange!
That is a big sticker price on Archie Gray. It happened early in the window, so I kind of forgot about it, but paying £35m for a kid from the Championship is a big risk and feels unlike Spurs. He could be England’s right back of the future, and the potential is certainly there.
Speaking of, Odobert was pretty aggressive as well. Yes, it’s unusual for a player his age to rack up playing time in the Premier League… and it was at Burnley… and his dribble and carry OBV (on-ball value) is really good… Okay, I talked myself into it, even if the fee was high. I reserve the right to talk myself out of it at a later date.

Bergvall is the same theme, but a much smaller price from a worse league. He’s one I’d be happy to snap up every year.
Some needs were addressed, but they paid a premium for the kids. —TK

It feels like Spurs were negotiating with the assumption that the market would keep slowly creeping up and they hadn’t got the memo that a lot of teams weren’t spending this year. None of Solanke, Gray or Odobert are egregious overpays, but none of them feel like good value for money either.

Paying big money for a 26-year-old striker suggests Spurs think they can get back into the Champions League in the short term, but I think their failure to upgrade at central midfield is going to prevent them from doing that.
I’m Bergvallpilled though, that kid rocks. —KM

Ted: B- | Ravi: C+ | Kim: C+

Total outgoings — £65.5m​

• Oliver Skipp — £20m + £5m add-ons
  • Emerson Royal — £12.5m + £2m add-ons
  • Joe Rodon — £10m
  • Giovani Lo Celso — £8.5m
  • Troy Parrott — £6.5m
  • Eric Dier — Free
  • Ivan Perisic — Free
  • Ryan Sessegnon — Free
  • Tanguy Ndombele — Free
  • Academy sales — Approx. £1m
  • 4 senior players loaned (including Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg)
Royal and Skipp fees were gifts. Lo Celso is still super talented, and his exit is sad. When he played, his outputs were among the very best in the Premier League last season. Maybe he just misses being around Spanish speakers. —TK

Haha they got real money for Skipp and Royal hahahahahahahsdaljfhdfj. —KM

Ted: B+ | Ravi: B | Kim: A

Maybe Archie Gray and Wilson Odobert become Champions League starters and we look back on this window as a crucial one for Tottenham. But it’s equally likely that they’re mid and Spurs lose money on them. This is a pretty outlandish display of confidence that you’re the team that can correctly identify which Championship teenagers can make The Leap. —KM

Overall grade: B-

It definitely wasn't a Grade A window, but I feel the plan was to net spend more than the £73m we see above. Definitely a decent churn of players though, getting rid of the deadwood and replacing them with these talented younger players.

The right tactical system is worth more than another £50m+ player though. That's where my head is focused,

Misses the point a bit. You spend £70M on three youngsters, and hope at least one turns into a £70M player, who would have higher suiters and wouldn't sign for us when he's a £70M player. For every Bale and Modric we've bought, we've also bought duds. But prime Bale and Modric would not be signing for Spurs.

Misses the point a bit. You spend £70M on three youngsters, and hope at least one turns into a £70M player, who would have higher suiters and wouldn't sign for us when he's a £70M player. For every Bale and Modric we've bought, we've also bought duds. But prime Bale and Modric would not be signing for Spurs.
I agree. Partly also because as Ange has said we didn't just sign these players for the future. We signed them because we think they can do a job this season too. Bergvall looks like a bargain, but signing teenagers who have massive potential and are likely to be ready to play a part for a team wanting top 4 in the PL will usually cost money. We spent that money on the players we thought could do a job now. Could have signed 3-4 young players with potentially who weren't ready now instead of Gray or Odobert, perhaps gotten more value for our money longer term, but we needed someone ready to do a job now too.

I agree. Partly also because as Ange has said we didn't just sign these players for the future. We signed them because we think they can do a job this season too. Bergvall looks like a bargain, but signing teenagers who have massive potential and are likely to be ready to play a part for a team wanting top 4 in the PL will usually cost money. We spent that money on the players we thought could do a job now. Could have signed 3-4 young players with potentially who weren't ready now instead of Gray or Odobert, perhaps gotten more value for our money longer term, but we needed someone ready to do a job now too.

I also think that we've made an assumption that some of our own academy aren't ready now, but will be in 1 or 2 years time. Centre half is an example. We have Phillips, 19, at Stoke in the Championship, Vuskovic, 17, at Westerlo in Belgium and we have Dorrington, 19, with our own squad and recovering from injury. That's 3 bets on a replacement for Davies for next season, but more importantly a pipeline of centre halves that might eventually keep Romero or VDV on the bench. You could take the same logic with Scarlett, Veliz and Lankshear.

I'm genuinely hopeful that starting next season we can get into a model of promoting 2 and buying 2, leaving space for more academy purchases. After all these years of our managers just buying average senior pro's, I think this new model could easily work for us. It also means that our manager doesn't have to untangle their heads from previous managers tactics like 25-30 year olds. He can just set them on a path of playing his way.

I also think that we've made an assumption that some of our own academy aren't ready now, but will be in 1 or 2 years time. Centre half is an example. We have Phillips, 19, at Stoke in the Championship, Vuskovic, 17, at Westerlo in Belgium and we have Dorrington, 19, with our own squad and recovering from injury. That's 3 bets on a replacement for Davies for next season, but more importantly a pipeline of centre halves that might eventually keep Romero or VDV on the bench. You could take the same logic with Scarlett, Veliz and Lankshear.

I'm genuinely hopeful that starting next season we can get into a model of promoting 2 and buying 2, leaving space for more academy purchases. After all these years of our managers just buying average senior pro's, I think this new model could easily work for us. It also means that our manager doesn't have to untangle their heads from previous managers tactics like 25-30 year olds. He can just set them on a path of playing his way.

It's a mix, there will always be a Solanke, Maddison, Romero, Vic type purchases, these need to supplement the youth strategy

The list is overwhelming actually - > Philips, Vuskovich, Devine, Dorrington, Donley, Moore, Yang, Scarlett, Veliz, Lankshear plus the Cardso investment. You could easily pull 4 new players into the first team squad with very limited outlay. And you probably could do same again the following season.

It's a mix, there will always be a Solanke, Maddison, Romero, Vic type purchases, these need to supplement the youth strategy

The list is overwhelming actually - > Philips, Vuskovich, Devine, Dorrington, Donley, Moore, Yang, Scarlett, Veliz, Lankshear plus the Cardso investment. You could easily pull 4 new players into the first team squad with very limited outlay. And you probably could do same again the following season.

Yeah, the list is overwhelming. I have a feeling we'll shed a few tears over the ones that don't quite make the grade.

Wonder whether we get used to Solanke type signings who were specifically selected based on data because the fit Ange-ball. Not the most attractive signing, but apparently the one that is most likely to be successful in our setup.

Yeah, the list is overwhelming. I have a feeling we'll shed a few tears over the ones that don't quite make the grade.

Wonder whether we get used to Solanke type signings who were specifically selected based on data because the fit Ange-ball. Not the most attractive signing, but apparently the one that is most likely to be successful in our setup.
For short term success with this kind of model those system fit fairly expensive signings are probably really important to get right.

That VdV type, "oh yes, perfect player" after even a handful of games... We need that feeling.

Yesterday, I watched a fine performance from one of the players mooted by some this past summer to be our solution at striker - Jonathan David. Scored and assisted in Canada's 2-1 win over the US in Kansas City. Such a solid player, right in the mix in a dominant win. Great when Canada didn't have the ball. Took up intelligent positions to direct play whey they wanted the US to go. Sharp with his passing and clinical in finishing to give Canada a 2-0 lead. The Yanks pulled one back but it was blatantly offside and no VAR meant the goal stood. Otherwise, Canada just dominated and David was at the forefront.

With Lille since 2020, he has 72 goals in 148 games. And he's only 24 years old. We should be negotiating with him come January.

There's another player on the Canadian side rocketing into prominence - RCB Moise Bombito, currently with Nice. He's 6'3, built like a brick schithouse yet agile and pacey, comfortable on the ball, two footed. He'd be a great understudy/replacement for when Romero leaves. Also just 24 years old. Earned rave reviews at the Copa America and Jesse Marsch has made him a starter for a Canadian side that is now the best team in CONCACAF and a host nation for the next World Cup. There's a Ledley King vibe to this guy. Whether he'd suit Angeball is a matter for our scouting dept.

On the other side, Johnny Cardoso played for the Yanks and gave up a turnover that led directly to Canada's first goal. Did not look all that great, but then again, the lively, energetic Canadians made entire US team look terrible. Christian Pulisic is just SOOOOOO over-rated. So, Cardoso gets a lenient assessment but we need to watch this guy carefully.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I watched a fine performance from one of the players mooted by some this past summer to be our solution at striker - Jonathan David. Scored and assisted in Canada's 2-1 win over the US in Kansas City. Such a solid player, right in the mix in a dominant win. Great when Canada didn't have the ball. Took up intelligent positions to direct play whey they wanted the US to go. Sharp with his passing and clinical in finishing to give Canada a 2-0 lead. The Yanks pulled one back but it was blatantly offside and no VAR meant the goal stood. Otherwise, Canada just dominated and David was at the forefront.

With Lille since 2020, he has 72 goals in 148 games. And he's only 24 years old. We should be negotiating with him come January.

There's another player on the Canadian side rocketing into prominence - RCB Moise Bombito, currently with Nice. He's 6'3, built like a brick schithouse yet agile and pacey, comfortable on the ball, two footed. He'd be a great understudy/replacement for when Romero leaves. Also just 24 years old. Earned rave reviews at the Copa America and Jesse Marsch has made him a starter for a Canadian side that is now the best team in CONCACAF and a host nation for the next World Cup. There's a Ledley King vibe to this guy. Whether he'd suit Angeball is a matter for our scouting dept.

On the other side, Johnny Cardoso played for the Yanks and gave up a turnover that led directly to Canada's first goal. Did not look all that great, but then again, the lively, energetic Canadians made entire US team look terrible. Christian Pulisic is just SOOOOOO over-rated. So, Cardoso gets a lenient assessment but we need to watch this guy carefully.

Pulisic has always been one of those overrated/overhyped players

Cardoso we have played the sensible card, we have another half/full season to evaluate, I will tell you his league statistics are different from your game observation (to your point, seemed a game full US team struggled in)

Think the David train has passed, we have Solanke for next two years at least as #1, with some combination of Richi/Son and one of the youth players as likely next backup (Moore, Veliz, Lankshear, Scarlett)

Pulisic has always been one of those overrated/overhyped players

Cardoso we have played the sensible card, we have another half/full season to evaluate, I will tell you his league statistics are different from your game observation (to your point, seemed a game full US team struggled in)

Think the David train has passed, we have Solanke for next two years at least as #1, with some combination of Richi/Son and one of the youth players as likely next backup (Moore, Veliz, Lankshear, Scarlett)
unless we let richy leave...i am sure no one is happy with his continued absence. good to see some targets lined up anyway.

Back