• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad for 2015-16 season

Yes, very much about who we can offload. Levy/Baldini/Poch will have a list of players they want to keep at all costs, those who are expendable for the right offer and those who are priorities to offload. If I was guessing I would say:

Part of plans next season: Lloris, Rose, Lamela, Dier, Kane, Chadli, Eriksen, Davies, Mason, Bentaleb, Alli, Vorm
Expendable for right money: Walker, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Townsend, Dembele, Stambouli, Carroll, Pritchard
Need to offload: Kaboul, Lennon, Paulinho, Soldado, Adebayor, Holtby, Fazio, Friedel, Capoue

Realistically (particularly the way that Levy operates) we will only get rid of 4-5 of those in the bottom bracket and maybe a couple in the second (Stambouli, Vlad and Townsend are most marketable) - Pritchard may get a Prem loan.

should we do this that would leave us with a core squad of about 18; there will prob be a couple of youngsters to come in so we would then need to make about 5 signings which is realistic; we've all identified that we need a forward/winger at least one back-up striker and a central defender).

Hopefully we've learned the lessons of bringing in several new players who have no experience of the PL; we also need experience - I'd get Cambiasso in as a priority for a season - i think he could have a 'Davids-like' effect on us; all the best teams we play against in the Europa have an experienced 33 year + central midfielder.

Yes, very much about who we can offload. Levy/Baldini/Poch will have a list of players they want to keep at all costs, those who are expendable for the right offer and those who are priorities to offload. If I was guessing I would say:

Part of plans next season: Lloris, Rose, Lamela, Dier, Kane, Chadli, Eriksen, Davies, Mason, Bentaleb, Alli, Vorm
Expendable for right money: Walker, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Townsend, Dembele, Stambouli, Carroll, Pritchard
Need to offload: Kaboul, Lennon, Paulinho, Soldado, Adebayor, Holtby, Fazio, Friedel, Capoue

Realistically (particularly the way that Levy operates) we will only get rid of 4-5 of those in the bottom bracket and maybe a couple in the second (Stambouli, Vlad and Townsend are most marketable) - Pritchard may get a Prem loan.

should we do this that would leave us with a core squad of about 18; there will prob be a couple of youngsters to come in so we would then need to make about 5 signings which is realistic; we've all identified that we need a forward/winger at least one back-up striker and a central defender).

Hopefully we've learned the lessons of bringing in several new players who have no experience of the PL; we also need experience - I'd get Cambiasso in as a priority for a season - i think he could have a 'Davids-like' effect on us; all the best teams we play against in the Europa have an experienced 33 year + central midfielder.

I don't agree with your assessment of the bolded players. Walker and Vertonghen have played every time that they have been fit and I would be amazed if they were not in Poch's plans for next season. Carroll and Pritchard have done well out on loan this season, I suppose it depends on whether you think that they have gone out on loan to gain experience or to be put in the shop window but we have used it for the former more than the latter in recent years and I expect them to either be in the first team squad next season or on Premier League loans. Fazio has not had a great season but I think that he is more likely to be in the middle category than the need to offload one.

As per previous poster, can't say I agree with your assessment

in Plans - Lloris, Vorm, Walker, Dier, Vert, Rose, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Kane
For the right money - Davies, Townsend, Dembele, Vlad, Stambouli, Lamela, Chadli, Fazio
Part of our "youth strategy" - Mason, Alli, Pritchard, Carrol, Onomah, Walker-Peters, Veljkovic, Fredricks, Carter Vickers, Winks
Need to offload - Ade, Kaboul, Capoue, Lennon, Paulinho, Holtby, Soldado

Friedel will "retire" and stay in some capacity as ambassador to keep pushing US coaching/profile

I can easily see

- Lennon, Holtby, Capoue, Dembele, Vlad getting us offers
- Ade, Kaboul we will incent to leave
- Also wouldn't be completely surprised to see us start next season with Soldado/Lamela still in squad
- From the youth teams, 2-3 being promoted to Europa/Cups next season and working themselves into PL squad

Cambiasso might have been interesting this season, agree with the idea, just think its a season too late for him specifically.

And I expect two 15M signings in the RW/Striker area.

I'm very surprised that no one seems to be talking about the need for pace and/or dribbling ability. We used to be a very pacey team but have lost a lot of that over the last few seasons. Our pace now seems to come from mostly our full backs now with very little elsewhere. Chadli, Townsend and Lamela have a little but aren't what I'd describe as quick. Similarly Townsend and Lamela are OK dribblers but very rarely get past more than one person.

We need players who can do one or the other (ideally both) and probably 2/3 new ones within the squad and that should be the key.

Better coaching in defensive areas is needed, I can't work out whether we don't have the players or need to tweak the tactics. I'm hoping Poch has a plan to tune this in the summer and drill them a bit more in the positional and tactical areas, I think we have the pressing right and hopefully this is the next stage of the plan.

I'd happily see Ade, Capoue, Kaboul, Paulinho, Soldado, Cliriches all leave which should bring in 20-30m hopefully.

I'd quite like to see us keep Holtby as well, think he has a lot to offer but expect him to be sold.

I'm very surprised that no one seems to be talking about the need for pace and/or dribbling ability. We used to be a very pacey team but have lost a lot of that over the last few seasons. Our pace now seems to come from mostly our full backs now with very little elsewhere. Chadli, Townsend and Lamela have a little but aren't what I'd describe as quick. Similarly Townsend and Lamela are OK dribblers but very rarely get past more than one person.

We need players who can do one or the other (ideally both) and probably 2/3 new ones within the squad and that should be the key.

Better coaching in defensive areas is needed, I can't work out whether we don't have the players or need to tweak the tactics. I'm hoping Poch has a plan to tune this in the summer and drill them a bit more in the positional and tactical areas, I think we have the pressing right and hopefully this is the next stage of the plan.

I'd happily see Ade, Capoue, Kaboul, Paulinho, Soldado, Cliriches all leave which should bring in 20-30m hopefully.

I'd quite like to see us keep Holtby as well, think he has a lot to offer but expect him to be sold.

I think it's been clearly obvious we need pace. The issue is a lot of people on this board "know" Poch will never use a non-inverted/traditional winger

My view is a right wing forward with pace is probably our #1 need over summer (why I wouldn't be shocked if we sold both Lamela & Townsend)

Are you watching this? And you don't think we need a central midfielder :) It is our weakest are of the pitch by an absolute fudgeing distance. Woeful.

I have just got back and I agree, our CM is poor and has been for most of the season and unless we find a CM/DM who can do the things Mason and Bentaleb fail to do we will never improve.

I have just got back and I agree, our CM is poor and has been for most of the season and unless we find a CM/DM who can do the things Mason and Bentaleb fail to do we will never improve.

Poor for most of the season is a bit over the top, I'd say it's incomplete

- RW is/has been an issue all season (see Lamela/Townsend and Lennon's exile)
- Bentaleb/Mason works and has been part of our success ...
- However, we lack an option/change for either of Mason or Chadli (if just tactical or to adjust for opponent)
- The more defensive option (Bentaleb alternative?), Capoue/Stambouli hasn't really worked.
- The more forward support midfielder (Dembele/Paulinho) has also not really worked

Summary, midfield has been pretty much the same as the rest of first 11, i.e.

- The guaranteed names on the sheet Bentaleb/Mason/Eriksen/Chadli have had decent seasons (Bentaleb/Eriksen obvious, Chadli's goals, and Mason's energy and ability to recycle)
- The bench/squad/competition has largely failed

- However, we lack an option/change for either of Mason or Chadli (if just tactical or to adjust for opponent)
- The more defensive option (Bentaleb alternative?), Capoue/Stambouli hasn't really worked.
- The more forward support midfielder (Dembele/Paulinho) has also not really worked

- The guaranteed names on the sheet Bentaleb/Mason/Eriksen/Chadli have had decent seasons (Bentaleb/Eriksen obvious, Chadli's goals, and Mason's energy and ability to recycle)

I agree.

But I'd like to see Pritchard, Alli/Winks and Oduwa given time in pre-season before we decide to buy Eriksen, Mason and Chadli understudies. I also still think Stambouli did a good job covering for Bentaleb during ACN

I think it's been clearly obvious we need pace. The issue is a lot of people on this board "know" Poch will never use a non-inverted/traditional winger

My view is a right wing forward with pace is probably our #1 need over summer (why I wouldn't be shocked if we sold both Lamela & Townsend)

I agree however from the posts in here there's very few mentions of the express need for pace in midfield and attack.

I assume we'll be playing 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 or some variant off going forwards so need to be getting players in that can suit this formation.

We could do with a box to box midfielder, Paulinho won't cut it and Dembele is a different type of player. Ideally someone who can give competition to Mason and also more of a ball playing midfielder in the Moutinho style so that we can mix it up a bit. Bentaleb is better at sitting back so a more advanced version of him i.e. someone halfway between him and Eriksen.

Then a wing forward or two with pace, dribbling, shooting and crossing ability. I actually think Chadli generally has all of that but doesn't seem to be consistent enough.

There are only four teams in the Prem ( and three of them are in the bottom three) that have conceded more goals then us. Considering we have one of the best keepers in the Lge that is far too many, now we can slag off the back four till we are blue in the face but part of the reason for that is the CM players being unable to give any protection to the back four.

Until we strengthen our C/M the goals will continue to mount, I am not saying that there are not other areas then need looking at but our M/F has to be a priority ( imo). Three of the players you mention( Bentaleb/Mason/Eriksen/Chadli) could not tackle themselves out of a paper bag and as for tacking runners they are usually missing when that is needed.

Wonder whether we'd put in a cheeky bid for Lovren who is well out of favour at Liverpool. Poch got the best out of him at Southampton and would be great business (Levy special) if we were able to sign a player still in his mid 20's who we wanted a year ago for about £12 when he was sold for £20 last Summer.

The problem with that is we do not play with a DM and we would need a pretty comprehensive change in tactics to accommodate one. We have conceded too many goals but we have not been outplayed too many times this year. I think that we will accept the risk of conceding whilst our players gain experience and with a view to the longer term when we have a squad that is capable of playing Poch's preferred system rather than the 14 or 15 players that we currently have.

Top class CB
A top class ball playing midfielder
A tricky Striker and a new RW and we will see a big difference.

Get rid of
Kaboul
Ade
Capoue
Paulinho
Stambouli
Townsend
Lamela
Lennon
Soldado

Should promote a few youngsters like Pritch and have Ali in the team and see how much room we have for quality squad players.

The problem with that is we do not play with a DM and we would need a pretty comprehensive change in tactics to accommodate one. We have conceded too many goals but we have not been outplayed too many times this year. I think that we will accept the risk of conceding whilst our players gain experience and with a view to the longer term when we have a squad that is capable of playing Poch's preferred system rather than the 14 or 15 players that we currently have.

People complained so hard that we were turgid, so we fix it by having two alrounders at CM (ballplayers who press intensely), now people want to go back! I was gutted when we let Sandro go, but the pairing of Bentaleb and Mason from Everton onwards has been an absolute revelation.

Old fashioned 'destroyers' and 'chalk on their boots' wingers are things people have lingering emotional/nostalgic yearnings for, but neither have been particularly effective in the game for years. You need players with a more complete skillset now

I do think we concede goals as part of a calculated risk. We are still winning games, despite the lack of clean sheets

People complained so hard that we were turgid, so we fix it by having two alrounders at CM (ballplayers who press intensely), now people want to go back! I was gutted when we let Sandro go, but the pairing of Bentaleb and Mason from Everton onwards has been an absolute revelation.

Old fashioned 'destroyers' and 'chalk on their boots' wingers are things people have lingering emotional/nostalgic yearnings for, but neither have been particularly effective in the game for years. You need players with a more complete skillset now

I do think we concede goals as part of a calculated risk. We are still winning games, despite the lack of clean sheets

the turgid aspect came about because of our lack of ability to create chances and be effective in the final 3rd. In some way we still have that problem, we lack a fluency in our attacking play

the turgid aspect came about because of our lack of ability to create chances and be effective in the final 3rd. In some way we still have that problem, we lack a fluency in our attacking play

I disagree. It was because we weren't getting the ball from CM to AM quick enough. By the time AM got the ball, defences had set in front of them.

Quick transitioning from Masaleb is the reason (along with the emergence of Kane and Chadli) we've starting scoring again this season.

We're not perfect in the final third yet, but we're an awful lot better than at any time since our last quick transitioner (Modric) left

I understand that, however I have said before that its not necessary to have a player that is nothing but a DM. We have to have a CM player who at least has some ability to track runners and put a tackle in because at the moment neither of our M/F have that strength.

I understand that, however I have said before that its not necessary to have a player that is nothing but a DM. We have to have a CM player who at least has some ability to track runners and put a tackle in because at the moment neither of our M/F have that strength.

How many top teams play with a player like that? I think that players who can read the game and close down space are more important than tacklers these days.

When our pressing game has clicked we have not looked weak at the back because we have closed down as a unit. What we need to do now is to perform at that level more consistently.

How many top teams play with a player like that? I think that players who can read the game and close down space are more important than tacklers these days.

When our pressing game has clicked we have not looked weak at the back because we have closed down as a unit. What we need to do now is to perform at that level more consistently.

Yet we still keep conceding goals ( only four teams have conceded more and three of them are at the bottom of the Lge), you are right about needing players who close down space but I see very little of that from Bentaleb or Mason. We let runners get in behind us and the defense is slagged off all the time when in all honesty the M/F are just as much to blame.

Yet we still keep conceding goals ( only four teams have conceded more and three of them are at the bottom of the Lge), you are right about needing players who close down space but I see very little of that from Bentaleb or Mason. We let runners get in behind us and the defense is slagged off all the time when in all honesty the M/F are just as much to blame.

The pressing game is played from the front not the middle. When we have been on top of our game we have looked very good pressing and have not given away too many chances. I don't think that we have reached that level enough and the team look mentally tired to me now but I think that Poch has built a strong platform to push on from.

Back