• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad for 2015-16 season

So it seems Wimmer is now all but confirmed as our 4th CB. This would be my thinking for next year at the moment:

-------------------------------------Lloris(Vorm)

Walker(Yedlin)—Dier(Fazio)--Vertonghen(Wimmer)—Rose(Davies)

---------------------Bentaleb(Stambouli)----------Mason(Alli/Winks)

---------------------------------Eriksen(Pritchard)
----Townsend(Lamela)------------------------------Chadli(Oduwa)

-------------------------------------Kane(Ings)

Sell: Kaboul, Chiriches, Capoue, Dembele, Carroll, Holtby, Paulinho, Lennon, Adebayor
Release: Khumalo, Ceballos, Friedel
You forgot Soldado.
I would definitely keep Dembele. Excited by the youth we have coming through though. I really hope we see Pritchard involved next season.

Do we have the players to play two strikers in front of a diamond?
I must say i thought it was really good for Liverpool this time last year when Brenton was able to play both Suarez AND Sturridge with Sterling in behind; in fact it was lethal. I think it would really if we could be able to play 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 AND 4-1-2-1-2

Are there 3/4 players we could bring in to allow us that kind of tactical variation? Kane's skillset should allow him and other attacking teammates to flourish in all those systems imo

So it seems Wimmer is now all but confirmed as our 4th CB. This would be my thinking for next year at the moment:

-------------------------------------Lloris(Vorm)

Walker(Yedlin)—Dier(Fazio)--Vertonghen(Wimmer)—Rose(Davies)

---------------------Bentaleb(Stambouli)----------Mason(Alli/Winks)

---------------------------------Eriksen(Pritchard)
----Townsend(Lamela)------------------------------Chadli(Oduwa)

-------------------------------------Kane(Ings)

Sell: Kaboul, Chiriches, Capoue, Dembele, Carroll, Holtby, Paulinho, Lennon, Adebayor
Release: Khumalo, Ceballos, Friedel

I sincerely hope we bring in more than that suggests! Your wide forwards are unconvincing - 1 kid who has played in the PL, 1 foreigner who has yet to settle, one youngish player who has some material flaws in his game plus Chadli.

I also assume you're suggesting we're keeping Soldado given you didnt say to sell him, which I'm fine with but we definitely need a 3rd CF

I must say i thought it was really good for Liverpool this time last year when Brenton was able to play both Suarez AND Sturridge with Sterling in behind; in fact it was lethal. I think it would really if we could be able to play 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 AND 4-1-2-1-2

Are there 3/4 players we could bring in to allow us that kind of tactical variation? Kane's skillset should allow him and other attacking teammates to flourish in all those systems imo

In theory at least I think we have quite a few midfielders suited to a (narrow) diamond formation. Bentaleb and Stambouli for the holding role, Mason and Dembele at least for the two runners in midfielder, Eriksen and Lamela for the number 10 role.

In practice most managers that use a diamond formation with two strikers seem to abandon it sooner or later. As seen with Liverpool it tends to be rather open and defensively vulnerable. We're already open and vulnerable, not sure moving to a diamond would be a great idea. As an option when chasing games perhaps, but rather rarely to start games. I think there are more important tactical options to focus on when looking for suitable players in the transfer market.

I sincerely hope we bring in more than that suggests! Your wide forwards are unconvincing - 1 kid who has played in the PL, 1 foreigner who has yet to settle, one youngish player who has some material flaws in his game plus Chadli.

I also assume you're suggesting we're keeping Soldado given you didnt say to sell him, which I'm fine with but we definitely need a 3rd CF

Agreed. A more experienced player in to the Mason role, one clearer first choice type player into the attacking 3 would be nice. We have quite a bit of flexibility with the positions of those attacking midfielders already, Mason could be pushed further on too. So I think we could still give game time to our developing players with signings like that.

I feel bad even doing this as I hate the whole ITK thing but I genuinely have a little in at Tottenham, apparently all the rumours at the training ground are that we still want Rodrigues from Southampton.

So if I were to do this line up for next season I would add him. Southampton are believed to be prepared to sell as they do not want to see him go for nothing and the player would rather move then sit out a year and go for free as he has lost a year to injury. This is what I have been told, not saying it is happening or a deal has been reached, but that he is still the top target.

I feel bad even doing this as I hate the whole ITK thing but I genuinely have a little in at Tottenham, apparently all the rumours at the training ground are that we still want Rodrigues from Southampton.

So if I were to do this line up for next season I would add him. Southampton are believed to be prepared to sell as they do not want to see him go for nothing and the player would rather move then sit out a year and go for free as he has lost a year to injury. This is what I have been told, not saying it is happening or a deal has been reached, but that he is still the top target.

Do you mean THE Top target or A Top target?

Do you mean THE Top target or A Top target?

I was told by someone who works there that when they go past the offices his name has been mentioned the most. Also do not wish to name drop but stuart metclaff was brought in from Brighton and his first job was to review the Rod man's work right back to his Burnley days, though of course poch knows all about him anyway.

I was told by someone who works there that when they go past the offices his name has been mentioned the most. Also do not wish to name drop but stuart metclaff was brought in from Brighton and his first job was to review the Rod man's work right back to his Burnley days, though of course poch knows all about him anyway.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing

I think Ings has changed things. If we can get him (ahead of Liverpool), he's 5 years younger than Rodriguez, very similar, 1/4 of the price and with no fitness question marks.

I see Rodriguez as left forward Chadli role, and ings as kane back up.

Your team gutter is way way too weak. We need an absolute class central midfielder and winger brought in.

Bentaleb NEW CM (mason and Stambouli as back up)

Lamela, eriksen, Rodriguez (Pritchard, dembele, chadli as back up)

All I and kids can be additional squad players.

I see Rodriguez as left forward Chadli role, and ings as kane back up.

Your team gutter is way way too weak. We need an absolute class central midfielder and winger brought in.

Bentaleb NEW CM (mason and Stambouli as back up)

Lamela, eriksen, Rodriguez (Pritchard, dembele, chadli as back up)

All I and kids can be additional squad players.

I cannot see the club bringing in a midfielder to play ahead of Mason. Having established a young, home grown central midfield pairing, I think that Poch will give it time to develop rather than break it up.

I cannot see the club bringing in a midfielder to play ahead of Mason. Having established a young, home grown central midfield pairing, I think that Poch will give it time to develop rather than break it up.

Well it will be a huge huge mistake. Luckily I really think we will. Mason weakens us greatly, and that Central midfield is why our defence is so poor and why we barely create anything. But that's for another thread.

Personally I would offload - Kaboul, Chiriches, Capoue, Stambouli, Townsend, Adebayor.
Unfortunately, I think we will at least entertain offers for - Hugo (PSG's Sirigu replacement), Jan (cash in), Paulinho, Dembele, Lamela (would kill me), Lennon, Bobby.

With additional signings we could end up something like

GK - Vorm, New signing
LB - Rose, Davies
RB - Kyle, DeAndre
CB - Fazio, Dier, New signing, New signing
CM (both holding and DM) - Holtby (I actually rate highly), Mason, Bentaleb, Christian (obv in a more attacking role), maybe Carrol, maybe Pritchard, maybe Alli, at least 1 new signing
Left (mid, wing, forward, whatever you may) - Chadli, new signing
Right (same as above) - hopefully Lamela or Lennon, new signing
Forwards - Harry, 2 new signings

Would hate to see any of Rodriguez, Ings, or Reid, personally. Ings less so than the others.
Quite like Mahrez from Leicester and Bolasie from Palace but in reality they won't be overly cheap and are almost exactly the kind of players that would come to us and fail spectacularly. Would like to look at any of Bernard, Marlos, or Texeira (all Shakhtar, assuming D.Costa is Chelsea-linked, therefore out of our range). Max Meyer from Shalke another interesting possibility.

Well it will be a huge huge mistake. Luckily I really think we will. Mason weakens us greatly, and that Central midfield is why our defence is so poor and why we barely create anything. But that's for another thread.

I know that you have got a bit of a thing about Mason and have been complaining about him from the off but do you accept that most people do not share your opinion?

Wouldn't want Rodriguez or Lamela anywhere near the team next season. We need to buy players who are going to have a impact and Lamela has had enough time now and Rodriguez has had a big injury and 1 good top flight season.

I pondered this a while ago and I think we could quite conceivably play any system with a few key additions.

I like the diamond, it offers a little bit of everything, not to mention that Poch got a lot from a 3 man midfield at Southampton. Lallana was the #10 but he had quite a free role, whilst Rodriguez was a clever runner off of Lambert.

For us to play it, Stambouli or Bentaleb would play as the anchor behind two from Mason, Alli, Bentaleb or Dembele. I include Bentaleb twice because in tough games we could easily use him as second #8 ahead of the DM. We would ideally need to purchase a truly top midfielder to make this work. Eriksen, Pritchard and Lamela could all fulfill the role of the #10 at the tip of the diamond whilst the strikers would be Kane + one other. That other could be an out and out striker running in behind the defenders (Ings) or a player like Rodriguez or Chadli. I don't think we would need to make a lot of major personel changes other than shipping out those who are no longer needed by Poch.

In a 4231, Eriksen could play either at LWF or AM in both systems, though I do think he does go missing at times as the AM when he is tightly marked. Pritchard from all I have seen would either be his backup or fill in the wide left position. The main problem for me though is the RWF position. We desperately need some class there to make a difference. I have lost faith with Lamela and Townsend and given the funds I think we would upgrade there first. We would also need a class backup striker (something I doubt Ings would be prepared to do) and imo a real presence in alongside Bentaleb.

433 poses many of the same questions. We need class on the wings, a good backup striker and steel in the middle.

I know that you have got a bit of a thing about Mason and have been complaining about him from the off but do you accept that most people do not share your opinion?

Oh absolutely. But I presume everyone bar gutter boy still thinks he can be vastly Improved upon. Maybe not. I still think we will though. Or I fear for us challenging on all fronts again.

People label lack of creativity at our CMs, but we play 4 forwards who are supposed to create

Would expect the obvious names to go although I think Paulinho may stay.
Fazio and stambouli are the odd ones as Poch seems to have excluded them

Rodriguez and Afellay look decent bets to join Simmer as incomings

That leaves CM - us Alli deemed readyfor the squad? Carroll?

And then we need another striker - unless Rodriguez will be used in a dual role

People label lack of creativity at our CMs, but we play 4 forwards who are supposed to create

Would expect the obvious names to go although I think Paulinho may stay.
Fazio and stambouli are the odd ones as Poch seems to have excluded them

Rodriguez and Afellay look decent bets to join Simmer as incomings

That leaves CM - us Alli deemed readyfor the squad? Carroll?

And then we need another striker - unless Rodriguez will be used in a dual role

Personally I think Rodruiguez would have to be at a significant drop on his recent quoted values due to his contract and injury... And I don't see Southampton selling anyone cheap

Likewise I think the Affelay link is lazy journalism as we have been linked with him every season

I'd take a quality centre midfielder but I'm not sure who...

We have to upgrade our attacking players though IMO as we need goals across all 4 positions and we need options across the board. Lamella and Townsend on the right are far too predictable IMO. I've wanted Depay for the last 18 months but we have t moved quick enough now unfortunately and he will replace DI Maria

We also need a genuine back up or alternative to Kane that has a similar work ethic - Berahino and I has for me personally but I know plenty will disagree

Our defence gets slated as we clearly concede too many goals for our ambitions but the players aren't IMO poor players, in fact far from it. I'm not sure how you would upgrade there and I genuinely believe that other than bringing in another centre back we look settled and just need consistency (which is why I assume he is sticking with Dier and Verts)

Oh absolutely. But I presume everyone bar gutter boy still thinks he can be vastly Improved upon. Maybe not. I still think we will though. Or I fear for us challenging on all fronts again.

Who could we really vastly improve him with??? I'd love to hear some viable suggestions?

Scheniderlain .. Maybe last summer but not now
Cabaye... Great player but will be 30 soon and on big money

Who else???

I know that's Mitchell's job to find someone but I'd love to see some genuine getable suggestions of better players

Back