• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

No, no, no.

The way I understand it, we have the following scenarios:

1. English teams do not win CL or EL. Top 4 get CL.

2. English team wins CL, finishes in top 4. Top 4 get CL.

3. English team wins EL, finishes in top 4. Top 4 get CL.

4. English teams win CL and EL, both finish in top 4. Top 4 get CL.

5. English team wins CL, finishes outside top 4. All 5 teams get CL.

6. English team wins EL, finishes outside top 4. All 5 teams get CL.

7. English teams win CL and EL, ONE finishes outside top 4. All 5 teams get CL.

8. English teams win CL and EL, BOTH finish outside top 4. Top 3 + CL winner + EL winner get CL.

It's just that last scenario that we have to worry about.

I think it's a hard maximum of 5 CL teams per league. So if we only had 3 CL places through the league, and English teams won both CL and EL, all 5 teams would get a CL place.

Having a good think about this last night. The only scenario where we dont at least qualify for a play-off spot (barring finishing 5th of course). Is if United finish 3rd, us 4th and City 5th and both English teams win their Cups
That is going to take some capitulation from us and City and United showing title-winning form in the Last 6.

After the CL draw I would be more worried about it as a United fan. They have a good chance of 4th maybe, but then might be sweating on two European finals?

So, Arsenal play Palace on Sunday at home then at home vs West Brom on Thursday...what hope is there that one of these sides takes some points to allow us to keep a buffer over them?

If West Ham score first, we have hope.

I don't think Leicester have won this season if they concede first.

WBA 2-2
Liverpool 0-1
Us 1-1
Southampton 2-2
Bournemouth 1-1
Stoke 2-2

EDIT: Actually that is a load of cobblers. They have won against WBA 3-2 and Villa 3-2 after conceded first

We have no hope.
Come on! It was Villa and Brom! Those hardly count.

So, Arsenal play Palace on Sunday at home then at home vs West Brom on Thursday...what hope is there that one of these sides takes some points to allow us to keep a buffer over them?
None. Doesn't matter, though. We'll maintain the buffer by winning our games.

If West Ham score first, we have hope.

I don't think Leicester have won this season if they concede first.

WBA 2-2
Liverpool 0-1
Us 1-1
Southampton 2-2
Bournemouth 1-1
Stoke 2-2

EDIT: Actually that is a load of cobblers. They have won against WBA 3-2 and Villa 3-2 after conceded first

We have no hope.
According to http://www.soccerstats.com/firstgoal.asp?league=england

Leicester have the 2nd best PPG in the PL after conceding first, at 1.38.

Just behind Spurs, on 1.58.

West Ham have a record of W:3 / D:5 / L:6 when conceding the first goal this season.

When did this change then, as isn't this the exact scenario that stopped us qualifying when Chelsea won CL, and also Everton when Liverpool won it in Istanbul??
I think it changed for this season. When Liverpool won in Istanbul, Everton should have lost their place to Liverpool, but an exception was made and both teams went through. The rules were clarified/tightened after that, and we paid the price when Chelsea won the CL. Now they have changed to allow an extra spot.

I think it changed for this season. When Liverpool won in Istanbul, Everton should have lost their place to Liverpool, but an exception was made and both teams went through. The rules were clarified/tightened after that, and we paid the price when Chelsea won the CL. Now they have changed to allow an extra spot.
Yeah, that's my understanding too. Which is why Chelsea winning the CL was even more galling.

After the CL draw I would be more worried about it as a United fan. They have a good chance of 4th maybe, but then might be sweating on two European finals?
Two European finals involving Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project, each of whose fans would absolutely love it if they knocked Man U out of the CL.

But it changed to what I said, and additional change for EL winners. The Sky article I believe to be wrong in its representation of the scenarios.

ISTR being bang on in my understanding the last time there were such issues - putting the BBC and other journalists to shame. The trouble is, someone will put a scenario and say might or could, but it's taken by some as will. That misunderstanding spreads and settles into popular consciousness.

The UEFA page on access to CL 2016-17 is poorly written, suggesting in one circumstance that EL winner goes into Group where CL winner goes into a play-off. What a bunch of tossers.

In the end, they always say ..... 'but subject to UEFA final decision' or suchlike. So we can only wait and see .....

Fwiw...

CgFvrSEWcAEWTuT

From @sportingintel

Under the old rules it became a decision for the domestic FA. I think Spain previously made a decision in favour of their CL winner and it was assumed that the FA would pick Liverpool. When they decided that the 4th place should get the reward set at the beginning of the season, it created a problem (no qualification for the holders). That is why they gave Liverpool the exceptional berth from the start of qualifying.

Unfortunately the revised rules ended up depriving us of the reward set at the start of the season.

Under the old rules it became a decision for the domestic FA. I think Spain previously made a decision in favour of their CL winner and it was assumed that the FA would pick Liverpool. When they decided that the 4th place should get the reward set at the beginning of the season, it created a problem (no qualification for the holders). That is why they gave Liverpool the exceptional berth from the start of qualifying.

Unfortunately the revised rules ended up depriving us of the reward set at the start of the season.

No, they had been changed so that the FA didn't pull the same thing. This was clear before that season began.

Back