• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sandro - Beast

First of all, you asked my opinion as to whether Sandro has played in a game similar to that we saw last night.
I offered a solid example.
You shot it down by bring Palacios into the picture?
We weren't discussing Palacios, we were discussing Sandro. And so again, he'd have enjoyed that match last night. Let's please try to stay on point eh? Cherries on top and all that?!!! :lol:

The simple fact is that since Modric was sold, Sandro has not played as much football, in part due to the horrible season-ending injury last season.

Dembele is a lovely on the eye, but if I played with him I'd tear my hair out (aka Soldado the poor bastard) because he does not release quickly enough and simply wanders until he is about to lose possession. Sandro is a superior player in deep positions.

Paulinho has been mis-played all season.

I presume you have seen my repeated praise (sometimes defence) of Bentaleb, one of the ONLY success stories He Who Shall Not Be Named Due To Cherries On Top can legitimately claim. Had said-reference had the balls to play Sandro and Bentaleb together more often, and instill in Bentaleb the freedom to play higher up the pitch like he can, then we would see the best of both. In fact (his) use of Bentaleb in lieu of Sandro (and in recent games Chadli and Eriksen) shows how (he) has anchored himself to a pre-conceived notion of what Sandro is as a player.

Interesting to note Lloris' comments today. Whilst no player is best advised to comment, he has laid bare a very simple truth; the keeper should not be the best player on the pitch repeatedly. I think there is little argument that our side would've benefitted greatly from Sandro's presence regularly.

Your comments about stats and the like…stats are only worth the context you view them in. It's interesting you mention Ramires. Along with a criticism of Paulinho above, I can only conclude that Brazilian midfielders are not your speed. I frankly don't care what 'system' we would employ if we could get a player like Ramires at Spurs!

Please re-read my post. The question was the part you bolded. My question was not "can Sandro play in a similar game to what we saw last night?"

My question was a specific one about taking part in passing and buildup play. Our performance at the San Siro was a very different performance in a very different game. As I highlighted by saying that Palacios played in that game, and I don't think anyone is arguing that Palacios could have taken part in that kind of buildup play. I'm not asking if Sandro could play a high profile CL game, or play for a big team.

I think we all agree that Sandro is better at defending than attacking. You keep telling me I rate Sandro harshly, so I'm trying to get a sense of how highly you actually rate him on the ball. I'm assuming you rate him higher than Palacios in that regard, I hope I'm making myself clear here because obviously I haven't previously.

I agree about our side, as I have said repeatedly. Ferdinand's comment and the debate that has followed has (on my part at least) not been a debate about if Sandro should be starting for us now.

Does that include the system that AVB failed with at Chelsea with Ramires in the side? (Slightly flippant, i know) Do you disagree that he has clear limitations? I actually think the closest thing we have to Ramires might turn out to be Paulinho. Ramires also had a rather average first season at Chelsea, here's to hoping that Paulinho blossoms like Ramires has. Cause I do rate Ramires, and many Brazilian players. I rate Oscar higher than Paulinho though, that for me is one of those that got away. Much more than Ramires.

But I continue to have serious doubts about combining several players with limited technical and passing ability in the same team. Unless you want to play very direct (like Mourinho does) and you have a good target man (like Mourinho will next season I think) then having many central midfielders like that will give teams a big problem. As it has for us with Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho (and arguably, although early days, Capoue).

Answers in bold.

Please re-read my post. The question was the part you bolded. My question was not "can Sandro play in a similar game to what we saw last night?"

My question was a specific one about taking part in passing and buildup play.

Last night, Real Madrid were sitting deep and relying on absorbing pressure and the excellence of Modric and Alonso. Do i think Sandro could've played a similar role to Alonso with the same result? Yes. I think, BTW, most people would say that the majority of passing and possession football in that match came from Bayern. If you're referring to the incisiveness of chances fashioned, then I see your point more clearly but still believe Sandro would've been more than able to perform duties comparable to that we see from Madrid's midfield last night. Again, let's not even bother comparing to Modric; IMO he is a peerless player, and as I have said often before, an enormous loss to our club.

Our performance at the San Siro was a very different performance in a very different game. As I highlighted by saying that Palacios played in that game, and I don't think anyone is arguing that Palacios could have taken part in that kind of buildup play. I'm not asking if Sandro could play a high profile CL game, or play for a big team.

Right. You were asking if he could play in a system like the one Madrid deployed. i think he could. You don't rate him as capable. We disagree. this has been established a few posts ago, semantics regarding specifics taken into account.

I think we all agree that Sandro is better at defending than attacking. You keep telling me I rate Sandro harshly, so I'm trying to get a sense of how highly you actually rate him on the ball. I'm assuming you rate him higher than Palacios in that regard, I hope I'm making myself clear here because obviously I haven't previously.

I have been very very clear how I rate Sandro on the ball. efficient with the potential to be box-to-box if needed, in possession of a fine shot and able to make the right decision as to when to pass short and when to look long. The fact he doesn't always try defense splitters, etc, is because he makes the right decision much more often than not for the team. I agree his strength is in ball winning and immediate distribution, but whilst I don't think he is Pirlo, I certainly think he has more strings to his bow than you appear to. I would compare him to Palacios personally. Wilson was a great player for us at the time, but Sandro is twice the player.

I agree about our side, as I have said repeatedly. Ferdinand's comment and the debate that has followed has (on my part at least) not been a debate about if Sandro should be starting for us now.

Please note, I did not raise '(his) name.

Does that include the system that AVB failed with at Chelsea with Ramires in the side? (Slightly flippant, i know) Do you disagree that he has clear limitations? I actually think the closest thing we have to Ramires might turn out to be Paulinho. Ramires also had a rather average first season at Chelsea, here's to hoping that Paulinho blossoms like Ramires has. Cause I do rate Ramires, and many Brazilian players. I rate Oscar higher than Paulinho though, that for me is one of those that got away. Much more than Ramires.

Different players. Oscar is fantastic. So is Ramires. the key is finding a manager who plays them BOTH. Paulinho is a wonderful player who has been average at best for us this season, and I don't think I need to get into why I think that it. Needless to say, two months ago I heard he had handed in a transfer request for the end of the season. I hope the club turn it down personally because there is a great player in there.

But I continue to have serious doubts about combining several players with limited technical and passing ability in the same team. Unless you want to play very direct (like Mourinho does) and you have a good target man (like Mourinho will next season I think) then having many central midfielders like that will give teams a big problem. As it has for us with Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho (and arguably, although early days, Capoue).

It's only a problem if you don't pick the right one IMV. I would certainly like another playmaker for sure, as I believe the jury must remain out on Eriksen (though with good coaching and guidance he can become great - he's not there yet though, as seen in big matches). BTW, quite how you can put Paulinho in a bracket of 'limited technical and passing ability' is beyond me. We have seen clear proof that he has fantastic technical skill and wonderful vision when he is deployed in a more forward role with a partner who does not necessarily maraud with the same intensity. In fact, I would argue that two or three of the best defense splitters I've seen this season have come from Paulinho. Anyway, to get back to the somewhat circular and futile point of this discussion.

I think you're wrong on Sandro. You won't convince me otherwise as I always feel I have an example to counter with. You obviously feel that you are right. Thus let's just agree to go our separate ways on this one because frankly, between the semantics and the flippancy, it's getting tedious don't you agree?

I have no problems agreeing to disagree mate :)

Again, I hope you're right. I really do.

I also hope you know that any flippancy on part is not intended as hurtful.

Cheers for an interesting discussion.

BE - sorry to jump in just as you're wrapping up but I've not really had a chance to stop and think for long enough to write down my opinions on this properly.

As you know, I'm a big believer in the deep-lying playmaker too - we've been on the same side of that discussion a few times before. I'm also in agreement with Steff in that Sandro is a much better passer than most people give him credit for. I also think that people are somewhat dismissing the defensive abilities of both Alonso and Modric, and the contribution made by Illarramendi this season.

My problem with where we are now and where we want to be is that I don't think there are incremental steps between our midfield and Madrid's. I think that you can boss the opposition with possession or you can defend when they have the ball and wait your turn. I don't believe you can half-boss the midfield with possession.

That means (IMO) that a player like Sandro (not a player like Barry or Parker) is required all the way up until we can field a midfield like Modric/Alonso, and confidently replace them if they leave. In other words, only if we can guarantee that our midfield is much better than the opposition can we afford not to have Sandro. I think we're a long, long way from that yet.

BE - sorry to jump in just as you're wrapping up but I've not really had a chance to stop and think for long enough to write down my opinions on this properly.

As you know, I'm a big believer in the deep-lying playmaker too - we've been on the same side of that discussion a few times before. I'm also in agreement with Steff in that Sandro is a much better passer than most people give him credit for. I also think that people are somewhat dismissing the defensive abilities of both Alonso and Modric, and the contribution made by Illarramendi this season.

My problem with where we are now and where we want to be is that I don't think there are incremental steps between our midfield and Madrid's. I think that you can boss the opposition with possession or you can defend when they have the ball and wait your turn. I don't believe you can half-boss the midfield with possession.

That means (IMO) that a player like Sandro (not a player like Barry or Parker) is required all the way up until we can field a midfield like Modric/Alonso, and confidently replace them if they leave. In other words, only if we can guarantee that our midfield is much better than the opposition can we afford not to have Sandro. I think we're a long, long way from that yet.

No worries scara, I think it's an interesting discussion. And apparently I will answer it with another wall of text... I'll try to organize it slightly and cut to the chase.

First, why?

To me, and I think you agree, the point of having deep playmakers and more technical players in the team is more or less about finding a way to get away with it. Most good to great players will either have their strength when attacking or when defending and that's certainly true for most players we can attract and keep. Obviously having more technical players in your team is good for your attacking play, so if you can get away with one more "attacking player" defensively that's a good thing. Part of this is how do you keep possession (when your opponents don't want you to have possession), but also how do you play through pressure and how do you break down stubborn defensive teams. We've effectively been quite poor at all those in my opinion with our "big 4" central/deep midfielders of Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue. I could expand, but this post is long enough. If you disagree we can discuss it further.

The question about the need for a "defensive midfielder"

Real Madrid obviously manages to get away with their attacking players. Of course both Alonso and Modric are very good defensively, but neither can be described as a defensive midfielder to me at least. But you're right, we can't attract and keep players at that level that are so good both when attacking and defending.

They key for a team where we are to get away with it is first of all to have a team that works hard as a unit where everyone contributes, then I think you can shift towards more attacking technical players and perhaps, quite often, get away with not playing a "defensive midfielder". But I agree that along the way most of the time we'll benefit greatly from having a player like Sandro.

Again I think we've previously agreed on Bielsa as a very exciting (if risky) prospect. As I've said before I think if we had gone for him we would have seen Sandro as a centre back sooner or later in a system that probably wouldn't have a defensive midfielder role in it. Another example, take Swansea. At first they had Leon Britton and Joe Allen deep in their midfield, Leon Britten probably the deeper midfielder of the two. Both are hard working and good defensively, but both clearly has their strength on the ball, the ability to pass and move quickly, effectively. Another example would be this Arsenal side without Flamini, or last season's Arsenal side. Finally Liverpool under Rodgers with Gerrard anchoring deserves a mention.

Swansea, Arsenal (without or before Flamini), recent Liverpool and in my opinion at least some Bielsa teams have all made it work without midfielders that are better when defending than on the ball. And none of them have had players at the level of Modric and Alonso. What's more, if you look at Swansea they've been able to bring in players that fit that system without spending tons of money. They have a different approach, one where the orthodoxy of "must have a defensive midfielder" isn't heeded. Of course they're not packing their midfield with players like Christian Eriksen and Rafa van der Vaart alone, but players like Arteta, Allen, Britton, Canas and the Bilbao lads have all been players that are very good on the ball. That's their primary strength and they have teams where there are no passengers when attacking (or defending).

I think at the very least it's an approach that's worth considering. It wouldn't have been right for us this season, of course, I agree that if we want to head in that direction we'll have some distance to go and wouldn't for a second advocate selling Sandro or saying that he shouldn't be played regularly. I also don't think it's a direction AVB wanted us to head in.

Sandro's ability on the ball

I accept that I rate Sandro lower than you and Steff in terms of passing.

Just to try to quantify things a bit though, who would you compare Sandro to in terms of technical/passing ability? I'm assuming you agree that he's a player that's better when defending than when attacking. No need to compare him to Modric or Alonso, or Joe Allen or Ander Herrera. But who do you think he can be realistically compared to, who do you think are clearly worse than him on the ball and who do you think are better on the ball that play a similar role?

Alternatively, if you look at defensive midfielders at the top clubs around, how do you think Sandro compares purely in terms of technical/passing ability?

Just to clarify, because this was a question that I tried to ask Steff earlier and it's part of where we lost track. I'm not talking about whose the better player overall, I'm not saying that Joe Allen is a better player than Sandro. I'm talking about only the specific qualities of passing, along with related qualities like movement, vision, first touch etc.

No worries scara, I think it's an interesting discussion. And apparently I will answer it with another wall of text... I'll try to organize it slightly and cut to the chase.

First, why?

I'm not really sure what position Dembele was bought for - maybe one of a 4-3-3? But I just can't fit him in to any formation. He's not a forward MF, he's not a defensive MF and he's not a playmaker either. Paulinho to some extent too, although I think he was bought to play at the front of a 4-2-3-1.

Capoue is pretty much a like for like Sandro replacement - defensive midfielder who can play a little bit.

I think it's only fair on Sandro to take these players out of the equation when discussing his worth, as I don't believe a poor/imbalanced transfer policy can be blamed on him. I think we're pretty much agreed on the purpose of deeper playmakers though.

The question about the need for a "defensive midfielder"

I think Swansea are a little bit of an exception to the rule (a nice one though and one I'd like to emulate if we can). They've had a succession of managers over quite a few years, drilling that team into a style of play - everyone in the club plays that way and everyone buys into it. I don't know quite how they do it, but they regularly boss the midfield against better teams - it's a wonder to watch.

Arsenal I think are a poor example. They were a lot worse last season than they should have been (and probably would have been if they had a Sandro), but again - their attacking force is pretty potent. One thing I have noticed over the last season or two with them is that they seem to play a less possession-based style. They are far more likely than they used to be to sit back and spring a counter - they seem to be more error prone than before though, and I think it's just individual ability that is keeping them in with a chance of 4th.

Liverpool still use Lucas and Henderson a lot. I know Henderson isn't your typical DM, but he's an incredibly hard worker and adds at least what Modric did defensively.

I think we're mostly agreed there though - and I wouldn't mind dropping Sandro for a Modric/Alonso, or even a Britton/Allen, but to drop him for any of the rest of our midfield just seems retarded. I could understand it to play the playmaker method, but to just replace him with "some kind of midfielder" seems like a really bad idea.

Sandro's ability on the ball

I think Sandro is an average PL midfielder in a passing sense (taking all midfielder types into account). He's not near the top playmakers obviously, but considering his primary role is defensive I think he's well above the average for his position.

Comparing those in a similar role, I guess you could say Lucas is a good example - he's a similar player but less likely to keep play flowing. Better on the ball but plays a similar role? Well then you're getting into the greats IMO - Pirlo, Busquets, Cambiasso, Carrick - in a few years I would include Allen on the end of that group too. Song is better too although he likes to get forward more. Those that I think are of a similar passing ability (there's quite a range, I'll admit) are players like De Jong/Bender. If Sandro had a couple of years in the right system and had the movement around him that better players do I could see him producing similar work to Martinez and Khedira.

I also think you might be underestimating the defensive ability of Allen there too - his stats suggest he's not far off the top in that regard either.

A lot of agreements again Scara.

I would say that Liverpool is a pretty good example of a team moving towards a style with more creative, technical players in a relatively short period of time. Dalglish seemed to want to build a team with a huge forward, crossing wingers and a defensive midfielder alongside a box-to-box more or less. Rodgers has changed that rather quickly and although there certainly were some initial problems they improved fairly quickly.

No entirely sure I agree about Arsenal underperforming. They have some top players, but they also have a lot of average and inconsistent players.

I agree fully that replacing Sandro with "some kind of midfielder" makes no sense, and I agree that he can't be blamed for our imbalanced midfield. And I think he's probably the best player overall of our 4 "big options" and as such should be the one we try to find a good partner to.

Like we've been saying we rate him a bit differently on the ball. I wouldn't really have to go to Pirlo, Busquets and Carrick to find players I think are better on the ball. I think Lucas is underrated, and actually a very effective passer (although he, like Sandro, has been set back by injury). Bender, Khedira and Martinez are comfortably better passers than Sandro for me.

De Jong is for me a closer comparison and perhaps the most similar to Sandro. Absolutely fantastic defensively, but limited on the ball. Why he was sold at City I think and what separates De Jong from truly top class players.

I agree about Allen and I think the comparison between Modric and Henderson defensively (that I agree with) could be extended to him. But none of them are what I at least think of as defensive midfielders. For me they look more like great footballers that learned to defend at an adequate level than defensive midfielders that learned to pass the ball adequately if you'll accept a simplification.

\\

Likewise mate, always good to debate and see other points of view.

I would be very suprised if we start with the same line up against West Ham. Our midfield will be in trouble again Diame and Nolan, hell even Noble will out do them because that lad's a scrapper. We really need a presence in there for that game. Against Villa however we will likely play the same team as we did today.

In terms of 'scrappers' I don't see any difference between Stoke and West Ham tbh. If SAndro wasn't felt needed vs Stoke away, you can bet that he'll be considered also not necessary vs West Ham away as well

http://www.prosport.ro/fotbal-extern/campionate-externe/exclusiv-interviu-cu-mijlocasul-lui-tottenham-sandro-chiriches-va-exploda-anul-viitor-colegul-romanului-a-venit-la-bucuresti-special-pentru-nunta-brazilianului-wallace-12543575

Very nice interview with Sandro in the Romanian press. It says that he was in Bucharest last Sunday at a friend's wedding. Basically, he talks about his difficulties as a child, his relationship with his ill brother and long distances for getting match practice. He compliments Vlad Chiriches, saying that he adapted well to the country and the league and that he will "explode" next season. In the end, he talks about Brazil's national football team, saying that the injury has drawn him back and that he doesn't have high hopes in playing in the World Cup this year. He doesn't forget to mention that at the moment he isn't injured and that him not playing is strictly the manager's decision.

Guess Sandro's 30 minutes rather proved Sherwood right... he is not yet ready for a starting place.

Hopefully it's just an injury thing and we'll see him at his best in August.[-o<

Guess Sandro's 30 minutes rather proved Sherwood right... he is not yet ready for a starting place.

Hopefully it's just an injury thing and we'll see him at his best in August.[-o<

Well it shows that he's short on match fitness after returning from injury.

Best way to get match fitness is to play matches. To me it seems pretty standard that when one of your star players returns from injury you introduce him into the team and let him build match fitness.

Could have gotten 30 minutes off the bench had he been on the bench 2 weeks ago, could then have been starting against Stoke and perhaps today we would have had a useful defensive midfielder on our hands and on the pitch. Instead he's just been dropped completely so that kids could sit on the bench or just been sitting on the bench.

Why are you guys even entertaining such a short sighted post?!

WTF is it short sighted? Because it dared to suggest that the Brazilian emperor of WHL (at least for some on the board) maybe is wearing no clothes? Sandro was pretty average this afternoon; match fit or not.

But then of course woe betide anyone who dares criticise him...

Back