• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sandro - Beast

Steff, I'll save quoting because it is going to be difficult to follow. Your point on Ferdinand spouting a "footballism". Surely, if anything is a footballism it is the current orthodoxy that all teams need a DM, even if many successful teams do not and if anything the move amongst the top teams is away from a dedicated defensive midfielders towards ball players (I know that Makelele was a ball player but I think the crux of what Ferdinand was trying to get at was that it wasn't perceived like that amongst a lot in England).

Steff, I'll save quoting because it is going to be difficult to follow. Your point on Ferdinand spouting a "footballism". Surely, if anything is a footballism it is the current orthodoxy that all teams need a DM, even if many successful teams do not and if anything the move amongst the top teams is away from a dedicated defensive midfielders towards ball players (I know that Makelele was a ball player but I think the crux of what Ferdinand was trying to get at was that it wasn't perceived like that amongst a lot of managers).

'Footbalisms' per se, are common. I'm sure I'm guilty of my fair share :eek:…but the 'current orthodoxy' your speak of is, IMO, a bit of a myth. In fact, the current 'orthodoxy' would be far more about 4-3-3 surely? It appears that this is 'the current rage'…I still believe Ferdinand was inarticulate, proven by the fact that both you and brain have had to extend yourselves to explain what you believe he meant. I think it's all becoming a matter of opinion at this point, either we see a role for Sandro or we don't. I frankly cannot contemplate any manager worth their salt not finding Sandro a centre-piece of any future plans. Sherwood obviously wouldn't. Thus…role on the summer! ;-)

Again, Ferdinand isn't comparing Makelele to some clogger. He's saying he had the intelligence to make good decisions. He's saying as a result of the focus on the defensive side of what Makelele did there was a crop of players that tried to do that and missed the rest of what made Makelele great.

Hey, Popescu was decent ;) Nah, of course there were cloggers and defensive midfielders before Makelele. And I don't think anyone is arguing that he heralded the epoch of technically limited English footballers as if England had been filled with Guti backheels before that. But I do think there was a change in attitude to where a purely defensive midfielder wasn't just a way to plug a hole, a necessity to defend or something you had because you couldn't afford a more well rounded player. It became the standard "you must have a defensive midfielder", and I don't think it was for the better.

Of course if given the option of Makelele you go for Makelele, he was truly world class and I don't think many people are arguing against that. Including Ferdinand. Most clubs won't have that chance though, then or now. He was pretty special, rare, unique-ish (I know grammar-nazis, sit down). Similarly of course most clubs won't have the option of Alonso alongside Modric or Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. But there seems to be this idea that "you must have a defensive midfielder, you must have a Makelele" when that just isn't true.

Then you end up with Michael Carrick having 20-ish starts for Engalnd and 32 caps in total. With the, long underrated and even longer injured, Owen Hargreaves picking up more caps than him. "Because Makelele".

This is the thing: I don't and haven't seen this rush to have defensive midfielders who just sit since Makalele any more than before he came to the PL.
To me there are and have been the same number of players who carry out the more defensive side of the CM functions across the league. I don't see this 'increase' that Ferdinand talks about.

I'm happy to be corrected if somebody was to take the time to we go back through the PL years.

In terms of the England team, there has always been a tendency to play somebody in CM who was more 'defensive': Carlton Palmer, Ince, Batty, Butt etc. I would actually say from Euro 2004 onwards there has been less emphasis on somebody purely defensive: Hargreaves played more than Carrick because he had a better engine/stamina and could get up AND down the pitch. He wasn't purely a 'defensive' player but he was able to do that as well as attack and also crucially do it to allow people like Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes etc to join participate more intensely in attacks if possible. I would say that it is the Gerrards etc that kept out Carrick more than Hargreaves. Unless of course Carrick was nothing more than just a 'defensive' player.

Speaking of Hargreaves, I think Manure's decline can be traced back to not replacing him and his energy in CM (perhaps they though Anderson would suffice but sadly for them he started out as a star and ended up a Burger-King..)

Back here at Spurs: how many years were we crying out for some aggression and tackling ability in CM? We weren't constantly called southern-softies for nothing. This is why initially players like Mendes, Sean Davis, Teemu Tainio were such godsends because we'd neglected that side of the CM for soooo long.

Sandro is the best we've had in the position imo. Him and Carrick would have been very interesting indeed.

P.S. The PL players I listed with Popescu (who I thought WAS great btw) were not to illustrate cloggers, just to illustrate that Makalele-type players who were tasked with provided the more defensive-based assignment in CM had always been around. If anything these players have become more sophisticated over the years and this is where Ferdinand is wrong imo

'Footbalisms' per se, are common. I'm sure I'm guilty of my fair share :eek:…but the 'current orthodoxy' your speak of is, IMO, a bit of a myth. In fact, the current 'orthodoxy' would be far more about 4-3-3 surely? It appears that this is 'the current rage'…I still believe Ferdinand was inarticulate, proven by the fact that both you and brain have had to extend yourselves to explain what you believe he meant. I think it's all becoming a matter of opinion at this point, either we see a role for Sandro or we don't. I frankly cannot contemplate any manager worth their salt not finding Sandro a centre-piece of any future plans. Sherwood obviously wouldn't. Thus…role on the summer! ;-)

It depends on what you think is the crucial line. Those that are critical of Ferdinand/Sherwood tend to concentrate on:

Les Ferdinand said:
The worst thing that happened in this league was Claude Makelele.

I think that this is misses the crux of his point which followed

Les Ferdinand said:
When he came into this country he wasn’t a holding midfield player. He was a player who had the intelligence to say: ‘Frank, you can score more goals than me so, if you go, I’m going to tuck in here for you and I’ll hold. You keep going forward'.

I don't think that it has anything to do with Sandro and ultimately it does not matter because Sherwood will not be in charge next season. Although I do suspect that Sherwood/Ferdinand's preference for attack over defence means that they see more use for ball playing central midfielders in all but 8 or 10 league games a season may limit the opportunities for an out and out DM like Sandro.

Bear in mind that Ferdinand brought this point up after criticism that we didn't play DM in the Arsenal FA Cup game and the two league games afterwards vs Palace and Swansea; games where our lack of one was often exposed (especially vs Palace).

Ferdinand was giving Emirates Marketing Project as the example of a team lacking one and still being very good: the very team we were about to play...

Call me harsh here, but I think he was trying to deflect from their poor tactics imo...and we promptly got smacked by City when we didn't have a DM (or the CMs we did have didn't apply the multi-skilled attack-and-defence' mode he believes CM should)

Last question from me on this (for the moment). How many of the teams that will finish above us this season play with a dedicated defensive midfielder?

Last question from me on this (for the moment). How many of the teams that will finish above us this season play with a dedicated defensive midfielder?

Before we go there, what is an example of a 'dedicated defensive midfielder'? You can use this or other leagues..

Answers in bold…

QUOTE=braineclipse;545556]Instead of comparing Sandro to the nebulous popular opinion, how about comparing him to other players playing his role. Who on the world stage would you compare him with in terms of passing?

As much as I would love to have an Alonso, I think he is comparable to Xabi. Both break up play, both can pass short, both can find a long ball (Alonso is world class in this regard I agree) but when playing regularly, Sandro's game is top-class. Pirlo has become one, ditto Gerrard, as much for their twighlight years but it's working. Impossible to say whether a Busquets is better because Busquets plays at Barca in front of the likes of Pique and with the likes of Alves at FB instead of Dawson and Rose (not to mention the attacking talent around him). I think, on form, he is a better player than Carrick. So for Tottenham Hotspur, unless you can upgrade me to Alonso, Sandro's my man.

I was trying to say compare his passing to other defensive midfielders, not compare his worth to other players playing similar positions, but different roles. (Although I briefly do the same later).

For me there are many better passers out there playing his role. Including as you say later the many top defensive midfielders at top clubs that I think are far from limited.

Did you watch the game tonight? Did you watch how Real played their way through the Bayern pressure time and time again in that second half, building from the back. Modric brilliant, Alonso excellent and of course the back 4 consistently playing just about perfect passes in tight spaces whilst moving the ball quickly, often two touch football. I know Sandro would add something completely different to that side compared to Modric and Alonso, but do you think he could parttake in that kind of football? I don't think so.

I didn't at any point defend Sherwood for dropping Sandro. I'm talking about the general truth in what Ferdinand said in an interview.

He's a top class defensive player, no doubt. Overall I'm not as sure. In the right setup I think he is top class, but he is limited.

I just think that comment applies to so many players. Very very few players in world football are top class in any set-up. Again, for me it's a 'footbalism'.

This is of course true. Although my argument that Sandro is limited seems to have fallen largely on deaf ears, so I'm not quite sure why he would need a setup that suits him?

He has a lot of the qualities you mention. He is more creative than he gets credit for imo, his movement going forward is also quite good. We've seen that he can strike a ball too. But he's not a consistent short and mid range passer. He's not someone that moves the ball around effectively and quickly with one and two touch passing. And he's not good enough at moving into space to make himself available during buildup play in deeper positions.

I could not disagree more. With Modric he was excellent in this regard. And if our superbly brilliant young manager had the knackers to pay him with Paulinho (has it actually happened, I don't believe so) for a number of games, i think you'd see this myth destroyed again. Modric and Sandro were a great duo, as were Modric and Parker. I would concede that the denominator there is Modric (a player so ludicrously under-appreciated by some it's laughable). Not a consistent enough short-passer? I think that one of the biggest things we missed last season when he was hurt was that deep winning of possession and quick feed to initiate a counter-attack. Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree as I'm sure neither if us has the time to start trawling youtube to try and prove points. You don't rate him in that regard, I do.

We agree on Modric. Modric was also fantastic, arguably better, alongside Huddlestone by the way.

You're right that we'll just have to agree to disagree. I will mention that people mention "form" a lot. Palacios was a pretty good passer when on form. Sandro is better for sure, but if you have to be at top match fitness to be a good passer you're not really a good passer.

A lot of those can be worked on, I have no doubt he has the hunger to improve. He could become immense (again?) under the right manager in the right system. But right now, as good as he is and has been, he's not a world class/top class player for me. I would trade him for Modric in a heartbeat. I'd give Real £25m on top of that. Different players, different player styles. But still.

I can't even consider the Modric bit here mate. Already commented on what I think, but as you said, different players and styles. Sandro (like Paulinho, Vertonghen - a player I have criticized for his attitude, Soldado and Lamela even) have obviously seen their roles negated somewhat at various time during Sherwood's tenure, and his man-management appears to have fallen seriously short. Right now, I'd say it's taking everything for him not flip his stack. World Cup year, he got injured, he worked damn hard to try and get back and now this self-serving loose-lipped 'genius' is mugging him off? Put yourself in his shoes...
Like I said, **** Sherwood. I cannot be bothered.
**** Sherwood then, I'm sick and tired of even talking about the man. Every single conversations devolves. Look at Ferdinand's comments at a time when he wasn't being self serving and discuss those points. I don't think it can be dismissed as BS.

Les Ferdinand, for me, has been an abject failure as a coach at this club. Striker coach. Analyse that and tell me what you think of the net results. Let me offer an example of a coach who HAS worked. Tony Parkes. Came in, sorted out Gomes, helped settle Lloris and continues to do something right because generally, our goalies are consistently good. Once again, whilst Ferdinand might have a point worth debating it was poorly stated and poorly defined. Name me a side of any notable success in the last decade that has not ever used what could be considered a 'DM' in some capacity. And to reinforce, I was very very clear as to what about Sherwood I think is BS. I'm sticking firmly with it.

This again? Hasn't Ferdinand primarily been a youth coach whilst at the club? A youth coach at probably our best youth production period in decades that is. At the very least that's been Sherwood's job...

But I honestly don't really care much about Ferdinand either. It's his statement, his opinion on this one topic I'm interested in. Is there a chance we can discuss that without having to discuss how Sherwood treated Lamela or how Ferdinand supposedly didn't teach Defoe to place a shot or whatever the completely irrelevant point here is? Because I think that's the interesting discussion to be had (as long as it lasts - which seemingly isn't long because everything ends with Sherwood and devolution). And the defensive midfield discussion is at least somewhat related to this thread.

And without blowing my own horn I think I supported a similar opinion fairly well with my initial post on the topic. And other than "Real are sometimes also vulnerable defensively" there hasn't really been much in terms of counter arguments.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your original point was that Makalele was a good player but due to the tight role he played, ushered in the notion that you can have a deep lying midfielder who is not necessarily great on the ball. I disagree. Strongly. I cannot think of ANY top club who has utilized such a player, not one who has gone on to win things/qualify for CL, etc. There are no Cattermoles at top clubs. I invite you to name a top club who has utilized such a 'limited' player in said-position. No, in truth, I think there's a strong argument for saying that Ferdinand, and in turn Sherwood, were inarticulate in their initial statements and that (in fact) they showed a rudimentary 'fear-of-change' type reaction to a role in football which has developed into a sophisticated and multi-faceted role. Not that I'm surprised. There's my counter argument…consider my horn blown! :lol:

Great debate BTW mate...

Of course most top clubs will mainly have midfielders that aren't limited. They can attract and afford the higher end of the spectrum and replace Nicky Butt with Micheal Carrick.

Ferdinand wasn't talking about just the top clubs, but English football in general. I don't think he was talking about Wenger and Ferguson, in fact I think it's pretty obvious that he wasn't. (Although that probably means reading his statement without the initial assumption that he's an idiot).

I disagree about what the recent change has been. The change that now sees Gerrard as the deepest midfielder at Liverpool isn't a change of a defensive midfielder to fulfill a different sophisticated role. It's a change where footballers that are primarily ball players are taught how to defend instead of trying to teach athletes, tacklers, cloggers, how to half way decently control a football. It's the realization that being a passenger in attacking play is as bad as being a passenger when defending. This development is the development Ferdinand is praising whilst trying to partly explain why the pendulum at one point swung the other way.

I can believe that you think Sherwood is inarticulate. And this time I'm not trying to blow my own horn, because I certainly could have articulated myself more elegantly, but I really don't think I could have been much clearer than when I said: "**** Sherwood then, I'm sick and tired of even talking about the man. Every single conversations devolves." Yet half your answer is about Sherwood, Lamela, Ferdinand's role as a coach and all the other repeats of boredom of non-sequitur upchuck we get in all the other threads including those actually marked with the warning to mental health label that is now Tim Sherwood's name.

If you really appreciate this debate, can we please keep it on topic and away from Tim Sherwood? At least when you're answering me. Please. Pretty please. With cherries on top.

Before we go there, what is an example of a 'dedicated defensive midfielder'? You can use this or other leagues..

I would say a defensive midfielder is one whose job is to mop up possession and then bring the ball out on the counter attack - effectively recycles possession and starts the play. Sits in front of the back four.

Temas will use a variety of versions of the role - I have attempted to illustrate it below...

Liverpool - Gerrard is playing the deep lying midfield role with Jordan Henderson doing the donkey work.
Chelsea - Matic? Mikel? Luis to a degree - they seem to be the most pure defensive midfield players out of the league.
Emirates Marketing Project - could argue that fernandinho is the defensive midfield - but the reason that pellegrini likes demichelis is that he can bring the ball out - Kompany also does this.
Arsenal - we will use Flamini as a dedicated defensive midfielder -

Defensive midfielder. For me you can either talk about the midfielder that spends all game sitting in front of the back four and not participating in forward moves (other than passing from full back to full back) or the deepest man in the midfield who quarterbacks.

DM in the traditional mould
---------------------------------
Chelsea: Operate with Matic and/or Luiz in front of the back four or even Mikel.
Arsenal: During their most effective stage this season Flamini acted as a shield in front of the back four, cutting out attacks and playing simple passes to their plethora of attacking midfielders.
Bayern: Often play with Javi Martinez between the two defenders in a back three and also with Lahm as a DM.
Tottenham of yesteryear: Under Redknapp Parker swept up just like Flamini.

Quarterback
----------------
Real Madrid: Pretty much play with Alonso as the midfielder who keeps things ticking over. They defend in a 442 though.
Liverpool: Arguably Gerrard plays a defensive role these days but it is more a way for him to play the quaterback role. However they do go 4141 when defending.
Barcelona: Busquets plays a lot of quick one touch passing and does occasionaly go forward but Xavi and Iniesta 8 times out of 10 are in advance of him whilst he mops up clearances and starts moves again.

I would say a defensive midfielder is one whose job is to mop up possession and then bring the ball out on the counter attack - effectively recycles possession and starts the play. Sits in front of the back four.

Temas will use a variety of versions of the role - I have attempted to illustrate it below...

Liverpool - Gerrard is playing the deep lying midfield role with Jordan Henderson doing the donkey work.
Chelsea - Matic? Mikel? Luis to a degree - they seem to be the most pure defensive midfield players out of the league.
Emirates Marketing Project - could argue that fernandinho is the defensive midfield - but the reason that pellegrini likes demichelis is that he can bring the ball out - Kompany also does this.

Interesting.

In your opinion who would be our equivalents?

This is the thing: I don't and haven't seen this rush to have defensive midfielders who just sit since Makalele any more than before he came to the PL.
To me there are and have been the same number of players who carry out the more defensive side of the CM functions across the league. I don't see this 'increase' that Ferdinand talks about.

I'm happy to be corrected if somebody was to take the time to we go back through the PL years.

In terms of the England team, there has always been a tendency to play somebody in CM who was more 'defensive': Carlton Palmer, Ince, Batty, Butt etc. I would actually say from Euro 2004 onwards there has been less emphasis on somebody purely defensive: Hargreaves played more than Carrick because he had a better engine/stamina and could get up AND down the pitch. He wasn't purely a 'defensive' player but he was able to do that as well as attack and also crucially do it to allow people like Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes etc to join participate more intensely in attacks if possible. I would say that it is the Gerrards etc that kept out Carrick more than Hargreaves. Unless of course Carrick was nothing more than just a 'defensive' player.

Speaking of Hargreaves, I think Manure's decline can be traced back to not replacing him and his energy in CM (perhaps they though Anderson would suffice but sadly for them he started out as a star and ended up a Burger-King..)

Back here at Spurs: how many years were we crying out for some aggression and tackling ability in CM? We weren't constantly called southern-softies for nothing. This is why initially players like Mendes, Sean Davis, Teemu Tainio were such godsends because we'd neglected that side of the CM for soooo long.

Sandro is the best we've had in the position imo. Him and Carrick would have been very interesting indeed.

P.S. The PL players I listed with Popescu (who I thought WAS great btw) were not to illustrate cloggers, just to illustrate that Makalele-type players who were tasked with provided the more defensive-based assignment in CM had always been around. If anything these players have become more sophisticated over the years and this is where Ferdinand is wrong imo

I struggle where to start as I think we're moving around in what might be described as circles.

I'm obviously not going to go through league line-ups through the years. In part I'm also here comparing England to other leagues and the development that has happened internationally where I think England has lagged behind.

I have no idea where you got the idea that I would think that Carrick was "nothing more than a defensive player".

Hargreaves and United? What? Owen Hargreaves made 26 starts in total for Manchester United. He made 18 league starts in total during his time there. A grand total of 39 appearances in all competitions. Losing him, losing that impact was an important part of the Manchester United decline? Even his best season he started just 16 league games. When the history of what was great at United under Ferguson is written, when United fans talk with quiet melancholic voices about what they miss and where it went wrong, the players they didn't replace - I don't think Hargreaves is even a footnote.

We were crying out for a lot of things. And there were many ways to solve those problems, you fall right into what milo would call orthodoxy I think. The real godsend there at that time was Michael Carrick, not your traditional defensive midfielder. Not a softie, but not the obvious answer when the cry out was for aggression and tackling.

I struggle where to start as I think we're moving around in what might be described as circles.

I'm obviously not going to go through league line-ups through the years. In part I'm also here comparing England to other leagues and the development that has happened internationally where I think England has lagged behind.

Where England have lagged behind is in passing and being comfortable on the ball. However, they have moved similarly to other leagues and international sides in that the more 'defensive' players have been people like Barry, Hargreaves, Parker, Carrick. Hardly cloggers. Previously there were the likes of Batty, Ince, Carlton Plamer, not cloggers necessarily but far closer to such descriptions. I'm sure we can see the changes happening in England have been the same as elsewhere, hence why Ferdinand's point was a big red herring imo.

I have no idea where you got the idea that I would think that Carrick was "nothing more than a defensive player".

Apologies, I think I didn't make myself clear: the playing of Hargreaves over Carrick was not because in England a 'defensive-clogger' was preferred to a more 'cultured' Carrick. It was because Hargreaves was perceived as being able to do what Carrick could and then some. My point is that it was in fact the other players considered more "attacking" that were keeping Carrick out of the team imo and that only if Carrick is "nothing more than a defensive player" that it was in fact Hargreaves (who imo was more 'defensive' than the likes of Lampard et al but not purely defensive) keeping him out.

Hargreaves and United? What? Owen Hargreaves made 26 starts in total for Manchester United. He made 18 league starts in total during his time there. A grand total of 39 appearances in all competitions. Losing him, losing that impact was an important part of the Manchester United decline? Even his best season he started just 16 league games. When the history of what was great at United under Ferguson is written, when United fans talk with quiet melancholic voices about what they miss and where it went wrong, the players they didn't replace - I don't think Hargreaves is even a footnote.

I said that Manure haven't replaced him and his energy; i.e. when up against it they have lacked the stamina and energy in cm in recent years that players such as Keane, Anderson (in his early days), Fletcher (to a lesser extent) used to bring. Manure are reaping now what they have sown in not buying two quality CMs (one a passer, one defensive/energetic and box-to-box) long ago. They've had so many good attackers and midfielders over the years but I maintain that since 2007 when they bought Hargreaves and Anderson for their CM they have not bought anyone else in that mould since. Teams have finally cottoned on to the fact that you can diretly drive through them in the middle. Hence why the sh!t is now hittingt he fan...

We were crying out for a lot of things. And there were many ways to solve those problems, you fall right into what milo would call orthodoxy I think. The real godsend there at that time was Michael Carrick, not your traditional defensive midfielder. Not a softie, but not the obvious answer when the cry out was for aggression and tackling.

Let's get our cards on the table: in the big games vs top 5 etc, does Sandro play in your first 11 given our current squad?
For me he does as currently in our squad he is the best at re-gaining possession and giving it to our more 'cultured' players to start attacks. Sandro himself every now and again makes attempts to start attacks as well.
A fully fit Capoue offers us another option imo though he tries more ambitious passes (which don't always come off), though he isn't quite as good at regaining possession as Sandro imo.

If that puts me in Milo's orthodoxy then i'll be damned lol

I saw what I had written, and frankly it was an essay's worth of counter-argument, opinion and general disgruntlement. 'What a load of ********!' I thought to myself, 'how on earth can I justify boring anyone with this gasbag of guff (however accurate i might've felt it was)'... and so rather than rise to every single point you seem intent to trying to force me to concede on, whether intentionally or not, I decided to reduce it all to a simple answer to a relevant question.

Thus you asked;

Did you watch the game tonight? Did you watch how Real played their way through the Bayern pressure time and time again in that second half, building from the back. Modric brilliant, Alonso excellent and of course the back 4 consistently playing just about perfect passes in tight spaces whilst moving the ball quickly, often two touch football. I know Sandro would add something completely different to that side compared to Modric and Alonso, but do you think he could parttake in that kind of football? I don't think so.

Yes I do.
When we played AC Milan in the San Siro during our CL campaign a few years back, coming away with a 1-0 win, Sandro played an important role as one two deep midfielders and was, in fact, the ball winner who made a quick 3 yard pass to set the move which led to our goal on it's way.

I think you're wrong on Sandro. You appear to do him the disservice of thinking of him as 'limited' to a specific role. And whilst I would never class him as Glenn Hoddle, I think he has more strings to his already-quality bow than you appear to.

p.s. keep the cherries thanks! :ross:

Other than Chelsea (although Matic only joined in January) doesn't this support what Ferdinand was saying? Gerrard is a deep lying playmaker who looks to get the ball forward early, Fernandinho looks to get forward and Arteta (another deep lying playmaker) is first choice and Flamini has only started half of Arsenal's league games this season.

Other than Chelsea (although Matic only joined in January) doesn't this support what Ferdinand was saying? Gerrard is a deep lying playmaker who looks to get the ball forward early, Fernandinho looks to get forward and Arteta (another deep lying playmaker) is first choice and Flamini has only started half of Arsenal's league games this season.

Another interesting question becomes who people would rather see in a 'deeper' role; Sandro or Dembele? My vote is firmly for the former.

Inspired by StatsBomb | What Does a Great Defensive Midfielder Look Like? and the names mentioned in this thread, I thought I'd check how Sandro and our other central midfielders compare to those of our rivals, well on paper at least... :-k

s441li.png

And here's how our midfielders have fared over the previous 4 seasons.

mi2rt2.png

Let's get our cards on the table: in the big games vs top 5 etc, does Sandro play in your first 11 given our current squad?
For me he does as currently in our squad he is the best at re-gaining possession and giving it to our more 'cultured' players to start attacks. Sandro himself every now and again makes attempts to start attacks as well.
A fully fit Capoue offers us another option imo though he tries more ambitious passes (which don't always come off), though he isn't quite as good at regaining possession as Sandro imo.

If that puts me in Milo's orthodoxy then i'll be damned lol

(I cut the rest as I don't really see us going anywhere)

Sandro should start just about every game when fit as things stand now.

I think most likely whoever our manager is next season Sandro should be a first choice central midfielder.

I've argued previously in this thread for the value of a defensive midfielder even against smaller teams. Sandro should obviously have started the last game and he should start against Stoke.

However, there are other solutions and (imo) potential systems that a new manager could try to implement that would see Sandro play a less influential role. Systems focusing on other aspects of the game than where Sandro has his strengths.

Had we gone for Bielsa (as I wanted in December) for example I think there's a very good chance that Sandro would have ended up playing as a central defender sooner or later.

I also think that our central midfield is and has been fundamentally unbalanced since Modric left. We're way short on passing ability, creativity, technical ability. Sandro needs someone that can compensate for his weaknesses next to him. That's not Dembele, that's not Capoue and that's not Paulinho. At least from what we've seen from those players in a Spurs shirt. If we can find the right partner for Sandro I think he will again be first choice and a superstar, but that's only one of several possible ways to balance our midfield.

I saw what I had written, and frankly it was an essay's worth of counter-argument, opinion and general disgruntlement. 'What a load of ********!' I thought to myself, 'how on earth can I justify boring anyone with this gasbag of guff (however accurate i might've felt it was)'... and so rather than rise to every single point you seem intent to trying to force me to concede on, whether intentionally or not, I decided to reduce it all to a simple answer to a relevant question.

Thus you asked;

Yes I do.
When we played AC Milan in the San Siro during our CL campaign a few years back, coming away with a 1-0 win, Sandro played an important role as one two deep midfielders and was, in fact, the ball winner who made a quick 3 yard pass to set the move which led to our goal on it's way.

I think you're wrong on Sandro. You appear to do him the disservice of thinking of him as 'limited' to a specific role. And whilst I would never class him as Glenn Hoddle, I think he has more strings to his already-quality bow than you appear to.

p.s. keep the cherries thanks! :ross:

You don't like cherries? Weirdo alert! ;)

As fantastic as we were away to AC Milan that night, remember that Palacios also started that game. I don't think anyone would argue that he could have taken part in Real Madrid's buildup play last night because of how we did against AC Milan.

It might be that I'm both wrong and unfair on Sandro. I would certainly hope so because I do rate him very highly in other areas - I think he's just about the best tackler around for example.

I'm not claiming that stats are the end of all discussions or that they prove something for all to see. But for me the stats posted by Steve are fairly representative for my impression of Sandro's involvement. 40-ish passes per game is about the same as Ramires at Chelsea. Clearly a "system player" playing a system that fits him imo. A system that doesn't require him to do a lot of expansive passing that is.

Back when we had Crouch in 09/10 it seems all our midfielders had just about the same, low passing scores. Unsurprising perhaps? But as we've tried to play more possession based, passing football Sandro's numbers have stayed more or less the same. And just about the same as Paulinho who gets regular criticism for not being involved enough, being Jenas-esque etc.

Yes Sandro can pull out some perfect passes, as Parker could. But he's not a consistent passer that gets involved in buildup play the way some other players in his position does. And now I'm not talking about Alonso and Modric. I think players like Barry, Flamini, Bender at Dortmund, Luis Gustavo, Lucas Leiva and other relatively low profile defensive midfielders are better, more effective passers than Sandro. Again, I would be very happy if I was wrong about this point. And I'm not saying Sandro can't improve on this under the right manager. Skrtel is now playing from the back under Rodgers at Liverpool, who thought that would be possible?

Another interesting question becomes who people would rather see in a 'deeper' role; Sandro or Dembele? My vote is firmly for the former.

Agreed. I think Dembele is very good and particularly his defensive contributions are somewhat underrated. But Defensively Sandro is just better. Dembele's passing leaves a lot to be desired, as for Sandro. So replacing one with the other is a (small) step backwards defensively and just about a step sideways in terms of passing and buildup play. Gets us nowhere, much like a 5 yard sideways pass after taking 3 touches.

The problem is that Paulinho is also limited in this regard and that Capoue after a promising start has been disappointing. This leaves us unbalanced and severely lacking overall. And it's why 19 year old Bentaleb could come into our team and be the best passer in central midfield. I rate Bentaleb, probably higher than most, but this is a fact our other central midfielders should be somewhat ashamed to admit and something that should be corrected in the transfer window.

First of all, you asked my opinion as to whether Sandro has played in a game similar to that we saw last night.
I offered a solid example.
You shot it down by bring Palacios into the picture?
We weren't discussing Palacios, we were discussing Sandro. And so again, he'd have enjoyed that match last night. Let's please try to stay on point eh? Cherries on top and all that?!!! :lol:

The simple fact is that since Modric was sold, Sandro has not played as much football, in part due to the horrible season-ending injury last season.

Dembele is a lovely on the eye, but if I played with him I'd tear my hair out (aka Soldado the poor bastard) because he does not release quickly enough and simply wanders until he is about to lose possession. Sandro is a superior player in deep positions.

Paulinho has been mis-played all season.

I presume you have seen my repeated praise (sometimes defence) of Bentaleb, one of the ONLY success stories He Who Shall Not Be Named Due To Cherries On Top can legitimately claim. Had said-reference had the balls to play Sandro and Bentaleb together more often, and instill in Bentaleb the freedom to play higher up the pitch like he can, then we would see the best of both. In fact (his) use of Bentaleb in lieu of Sandro (and in recent games Chadli and Eriksen) shows how (he) has anchored himself to a pre-conceived notion of what Sandro is as a player.

Interesting to note Lloris' comments today. Whilst no player is best advised to comment, he has laid bare a very simple truth; the keeper should not be the best player on the pitch repeatedly. I think there is little argument that our side would've benefitted greatly from Sandro's presence regularly.

Your comments about stats and the like…stats are only worth the context you view them in. It's interesting you mention Ramires. Along with a criticism of Paulinho above, I can only conclude that Brazilian midfielders are not your speed. I frankly don't care what 'system' we would employ if we could get a player like Ramires at Spurs!

Back