• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Interesting quotes from Pulis: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...will-benefit-from-west-brom-stay?ICID=HP_BN_1

I don't think this deal is doable for us given our spending constraints and West Brom's solid financial footing. Hopefully if that's the case, we don't chase him without any alternatives until the end of the window, and end up panic buying on September 2nd or missing out altogether.

If you give any weight to itk, it seems as though a deal is nigh on done already. And Poch certainly thinks that a striker is likely to sign soon. he could be talking about N'jie, of course, or maybe even a striker that we haven't been linked with. But I'd have thought that Berahino is the most likely.

Guess we'll soon find out.

No one has said that you or anyone else can't whinge to your heart's content. If that's what you want to do, go ahead and knock yourself out. No hypocrisy on my part.

But don't expect everyone else just to take your whinging as gospel and refrain from commenting on it or demanding some evidence.

Amen to that.

No way is or was Rodriguez a winger. He might have drifted out there at times but he was mostly central.

Lallana had a free role.
That is a nice way of putting things, at the end of the day he ended playing a 4231 though. Rodriquez isn't a winger, but would you say Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen are wingers? Not exactly, yet they often played on the wings in this 4231, whether they ended up drifting inside or not. In fact, it wasn't so different to what we play now. Lambert = Kane. Chadli does what Rodriquez did, Lamela what Lallana did.

The odds are looking very healthy but as Rorschach said above, I think the odds are calculated by the amount of press and speculation a transfer rumour gets. Does that mean I am doubtful? Well, honestly no. I expect him to be our man. My only concern is how long it's going to drag out. Him coming in on Deadline Day is something I really hope we can avoid.

He's definitely right footed.

Are you thinking of a different player?

No, think i was just wrong - was sure he was left footed, but I think that is due to a rocket of a shot ingrained on my memory with his left foot, but it was possibly just a one-off from him then!

The odds are looking very healthy but as Rorschach said above, I think the odds are calculated by the amount of press and speculation a transfer rumour gets. Does that mean I am doubtful? Well, honestly no. I expect him to be our man. My only concern is how long it's going to drag out. Him coming in on Deadline Day is something I really hope we can avoid.

Could just be volume of bets too, bookies will shorten odds if they have big volumes of bets on a particular outcome, to mitigate their exposure ("in case it happens"). So if loads of Spurs fans lump at tenner on him joining, it will cause his odds to shorten.

When I see Berahino play, he reminds me a lot of Defoe in the type of goals he scores, finishing and movement. Similar build, though 3 or 4 inches taller I think

As I said above, I cant see that we'll be able to pick up anyone more established and they'd be targetted by CL teams, so would be good to see SB snapped up pronto

A bookmaker will calculate odds simply by looking at their exposure.... The more money that goes on an event, the bigger the potential exposure to the bookmaker, ergo they will shorten the odds to make it less attractive to bet on that outcome (while perhaps laying some of the exposure with another bookmaker offering higher odds). They will also lengthen the odds on alternative outcomes to tempt punters to put money on those.

The betting market on player transfers is very, very small and it therefore takes very little money being staked for quite large swings in odds offered.

When I see Berahino play, he reminds me a lot of Defoe in the type of goals he scores, finishing and movement. Similar build, though 3 or 4 inches taller I think

As I said above, I cant see that we'll be able to pick up anyone more established and they'd be targetted by CL teams, so would be good to see SB snapped up pronto
I agree with you in many ways, although I would say that Defoe tended to always look to score his goals by going for power, whereas Berahino often looks to place the ball instead.

I reckon Levy will get him for £16m rising to £23m.

We are probably bidding something like £10m rising to £15-17m right now. Levy is just doing the dance, as are West Brom by asking for £25m.

We will meet in the middle before the window closes, he isn't going anywhere else.

I can't see us going for both Berahino and N'Jie. They are very similar players, and the same age. I hope we rather spend some money on a dm, but there aren't many decent options left (if any). N'Jie not being in the squad yesterday leads me to believe it will be him, and the itk will look like macarons once again.

I can't see us going for both Berahino and N'Jie. They are very similar players, and the same age. I hope we rather spend some money on a dm, but there aren't many decent options left (if any). N'Jie not being in the squad yesterday leads me to believe it will be him, and the itk will look like macarons once again.
Having said that, I can't see west brom paying 15M for a player wothout getting a similar sum in.

today is his last game for west brom, he will have his chance to say goodbye to the fans at the hawthornes.............if I was writing the script

I would rather see us go for Berahino and a wing-foward type who could play as a CF in an emergency. I dont have huge faith in Chadli and Lamela, Lennon is leaving and Townsend, well, his wekaness is his lack of a brain and there's not much you can do about that

No one has said that you or anyone else can't whinge to your heart's content. If that's what you want to do, go ahead and knock yourself out. No hypocrisy on my part.

But don't expect everyone else just to take your whinging as gospel and refrain from commenting on it or demanding some evidence.

You're not getting my point. You say 'we don't know what goes on', and thus shouldn't expect to be able to make an unchallenged comment on what we believe to be happening behind the scenes. Yet, when someone (Juande, Harry, AVB) comes out with evidence of what happens behind the scenes in live interviews, you summarily dismiss it as managers lying to make themselves look better ,despite (even in that case) having no idea what went on behind the scenes and (by extension) how true their claims really are. How is that not being a tad hypocritical?

Arf!

And you presume to accuse others of hypocrisy? Priceless!

And what evidence is it, exactly, that you think I "disbelieve". I'm intrigued.

Have I acted sanctimonious? If arguing with people who vindictively pounce on posters unhappy with a loss because they feel that being unhappy somehow makes them 'worse' fans is being sanctimonious, then I'm sorry to suggest this, but perhaps you don't quite understand the term. As for the evidence bit, see above.

Having said that, I can't see west brom paying 15M for a player wothout getting a similar sum in.
I can't see 15mil as being enough. From West Brom's perspective that 15mil will not buy a suitable replacement for Berahino so the motivation to sell really isn't there. Of course there may be other factors at play we are not aware of but I imagine any 15mil bid will be rejected.

Well sort of. Column inches effectively translates to supposed interest and subsequently to bets and and that's what drives the odds really. Fingers crossed.

Back