• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Stop the video on the momenth when Giroud hits that shot. If Walker was not there (over with Ozil where he would have been) a left footed player can let the ball run across him and control it and finish. Walker standing right in front of Giroud rather than Mason who was behind and to the right made that decision for him.

Yes Mason is a big cog in the wheel, yes our results are better, i'm actually a massive fan of his but that doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake that led to a goal..

IMO the order of 'blame' for that goal was:

1. Vertonghen - rash attempt to win the ball up near the half way line and then slow to recover afterwards.
2. Rose - beaten for pace too easily by Wellbeck, with Vertonghen not in position probably should've been shepherding Wellbeck to take the long route round the outside of him.
3. Mason - should've busted a gut to track Giroud's run (I wonder if he didn't because he wouldn't normally expect to be required to pick up Giroud)
4. Dier - stood there watching instead of stepping up once he didn't block Wellbeck's cross.

Dier shouldnt have came over to Wellbeck in the first place. He and Walker had Giroud and Ozil covered..

Yes Mason is a big cog in the wheel, yes our results are better, i'm actually a massive fan of his but that doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake that led to a goal..

That means he didn't make one of a few mistakes that lead to the goal:

Verts dives in on Giroud meaning he can't get back up to track him.
Rose gets the ball knocked one side of him by Wellbeck who goes around the other side (Rose slows down before Wellback passes to Giroud).
Walker comes across to cover leaving Ozil alone
Lamela didn't track Ozil back either.

That means he didn't make one of a few mistakes that lead to the goal:

Verts dives in on Giroud meaning he can't get back up to track him.
Rose gets the ball knocked one side of him by Wellbeck who goes around the other side (Rose slows down before Wellback passes to Giroud).
Walker comes across to cover leaving Ozil alone
Lamela didn't track Ozil back either.

I really don't think you can assign blame to Lamela for that one.

If he was supposed to get back to the wide attacker for every counter attack in time to cover for a string of eventualities that usually doesn't happy he would essentially be playing right back.

I think he had to because Wellbeck had got goalside of Rose and Rose didn't seem able to catch him up.

If he does leave his position like that it has to be to get very close to Welbeck and stop the cross.

He can move into a position where he doesn't leave Welbeck with a good avenue to head straight to goal without leaving Walker alone in the middle to deal with two men I think.

It's a snap decision though and he only got it marginally wrong imo. Same about Vertonghen, Rose and Mason for me. Several small-ish mistakes that happen to most/all players relatively often and very rarely gets picked up on. Only because there was a string of them in a row did Arsenal get a big chance and it only really happened that one time in a game against a rather good side. Not a big deal.

I really don't think you can assign blame to Lamela for that one.

If he was supposed to get back to the wide attacker for every counter attack in time to cover for a string of eventualities that usually doesn't happy he would essentially be playing right back.

I was trying to make the point that several other factors lead to that goal, not just Mason failing to keep up with Giroud.

I was trying to make the point that several other factors lead to that goal, not just Mason failing to keep up with Giroud.

I've made the exact same point myself.

I don't think assigning blame to players that weren't to blame makes that point particularly well.

Sorely missed when he went off

He needs some time off to recover from the foot injury he got vs the arse

True. He might not have been quit as on form after his previous injury and he wasn't great against Liverpool. But we still need him.

Think the yellow card held him back a lot, kept him from making some tackles in important situations.

I agree that we need him fit, particularly for the LC final. If he's actually injured I hope he gets the time to recover. Hopefully the week and a bit we have off now will be enough.

Need more options next summer.

If Scholes rates him that highly then surely that ends the debate about his ability?

If there is one thing Scholes knows, its how an effective, dominant midfield works.

Back