• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

While it's maybe a bit odd that it's taken a lad 23 years to have a breakthrough season,
23 years to make his breakthrough season?

Bit harsh did you expect him to make the first team when he was 8 years old?
Think you should take at least the first 17 years out the equation.

He is one of the most technically proficient young players to come out of our academy in years. Since injury he seems to be lacking consistency in this respect but it will come. It is down to consistency not technique. He was a complete luxury player up until recently so not sure why some fans seems to have a party line that he's some sort of work horse kicker who is in the side for his work rate. Sure e has added this side to his game ( to his credit) but his class on the ball should return in time

I think people forget what an impact he made to our midfield after the dross of the season before.
I'm not sure anyone has said that have they?

He has certainly played in a more advanced position in the past but that is not the role that he is being asked to fill now

Spot on.

Seems very far fetched to me to describe a player playing as one of the deep two in a 4-2-3-1 as an attacking midfielder.

Maybe my memory's playing tricks but didn't he get in a couple of very decent long range shots yesterday?

Also there was that 25 yard screamer against Forest in the Capital One Cup back in September. And he managed five from midfield in 18 games for Swindon last season, so he can't be that rubbish.

Agreed. I quite like his shooting. Not extreme power perhaps, but he seems good at getting the ball on target with a nice striking technique. Calm and composed when he strikes it and can hit it with both feet.

Spot on.

Seems very far fetched to me to describe a player playing as one of the deep two in a 4-2-3-1 as an attacking midfielder.

Agreed. I quite like his shooting. Not extreme power perhaps, but he seems good at getting the ball on target with a nice striking technique. Calm and composed when he strikes it and can hit it with both feet.

IMO Mason plays the Modric role. He's deep-sitting, but his main attribute is his constant recycling of the ball. Mason is actually more offensive than Modric due to his shooting and his ability to be able to get up into the box more often

It's seven - the threshold was raised from 5 a couple of years ago. If a player then collects 10 cautions he will receive a 2-game ban. The cut-off date is some point in April.

The FA website disagrees with you: http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/suspensions

Suspensions are automatically imposed for accumulating 5, 10, or 15 cautions in a season. There are cut-off dates for receiving a sanction as a result of accumulated cautions. They are:

CAUTIONS CUT OFF DATES (Inclusive)
5 31 December (Premier League only)
5 30 November (FL to Step 4 only)
10 2nd Sunday in April
15 End of Season
For example, a Premier League player earning their fifth caution of the season on or after 1st January would not earn any ban. However, if they received ten cautions by the second Sunday in April, a ban would apply. Players who receive 20 or more cautions in a season shall be required to attend a Regulatory Commission.

Edit: That page is now also updated under the "One caution away" section and includes both Lee Cattermole and Gareth Barry, both currently on 9 yellows.

Last edited:
Other than being at fault for the Arsenal goal yesterday I thought he had a great game. Really enjoy watching him play and think only injuries might stop him having an impact on our future.

There's a discussion on this on the match ratings threas

Cheers, now I see. Just sounded - out of context - like Ginola was piling ALL the blame for the goal on Mason there :eek:.

Still seems a tad harsh to say he was actually at fault. Could even be argued Mason's harrying contributed towards Giroud shanking his attempt, which would otherwise have hit the corner flag had it not been for the unmarked Ozil.

I put this in the other thread -

"Mason was goalside of Giroud but didn't react as quickly as him. When he (Grioud) was a couple of foot in front, Mason started sprinting but it was too late. Walker notices Mason is not getting back, you can see him turn his head twice as Welbeck is going down the wing, Walker moves across to help with the immediate danger (Giroud) leaving Ozil."

I think there was a couple of mistakes in the lead up to the goal and Mason's had the most impact if you like. Rose getting beat the way he did (don't think he anticipated how quick or cheeky it was of Welbeck to knock the ball past him so early and run the other side), Vertonghen casually running back until the last moment (a sprint and he would have probably cut the ball out to Giroud), Mason (as above, he knew Giroud was there, let him run past him and never recovered), and Giroud would have probably just controlled the ball had Walker not come across to cover and we would have been slating Walker if he stayed on Ozil and that happened. The ball was played infront of Giroud and across to his left foot, Mason was behind and to Giroud's right side..

Watch it all play out here.. http://www.timesoccer.com/video/011/20-arsenal-vs-tottenham-live-highlights.html

Giroud got a start on him because he let him, the two clashed just over the half way line and Mason was infront of him running towards goal (they actually touch hands and try to palm one another off so both know they are there), Giroud wanted it more and run past Mason, who tried to recover but couldn't. If he had reacted first and stayed goalside the ball would not have got to Giroud (either cut out by Mason or not played as he would have been marked) and Walker would not have had to come across or the ball make its way to Ozil..

Giroud got a start on him because he let him, the two clashed just over the half way line and Mason was infront of him running towards goal (they actually touch hands and try to palm one another off so both know they are there), Giroud wanted it more and run past Mason, who tried to recover but couldn't. If he had reacted first and stayed goalside the ball would not have got to Giroud (either cut out by Mason or not played as he would have been marked) and Walker would not have had to come across or the ball make its way to Ozil..

Giroud spent the entire match bored and isolated on the halfway line. Mason covered something like 12 miles and made countless interceptions. You can't criticise him for the one time he got caught on his heels/a bit leggy, when he made such a phenomenal all-round contribute

IMO the order of 'blame' for that goal was:

1. Vertonghen - rash attempt to win the ball up near the half way line and then slow to recover afterwards.
2. Rose - beaten for pace too easily by Wellbeck, with Vertonghen not in position probably should've been shepherding Wellbeck to take the long route round the outside of him.
3. Mason - should've busted a gut to track Giroud's run (I wonder if he didn't because he wouldn't normally expect to be required to pick up Giroud)
4. Dier - stood there watching instead of stepping up once he didn't block Wellbeck's cross.

This is getting silly. Yes Giroud got the run on him so I'll concede he was marginally at fault there, but I repeat, Mason still managed to get back to him enough to harry the Arsenal striker into shanking his shot, which, again I repeat, was going way, way wide. So much so it fortuitously reached the unmarked Ozil. If that is what you call his fault then I think you are stretching the meaning of the phrase to it's outer limit.:D

Blaming mason is incredibly tenuous and actually quite pointless

It's a team game and mason is a massive cog in the team

As I've highlighted before, our results are so much better with him in the team because he plays quick balls, clever passes, wins tackles and works his arse off.

He is far from the finished article qnd has made some errors but who doesn't ... Even Steve G fell on his arse last season in arguably the biggest game of his career (league winning opportunity rather than a cup game)

Surely then it's Pochs fault for not drilling the players hard enough on defensive discipline and fitness...

Clearly we should sack him for it

Giroud spent the entire match bored and isolated on the halfway line. Mason covered something like 12 miles and made countless interceptions. You can't criticise him for the one time he got caught on his heels/a bit leggy, when he made such a phenomenal all-round contribute

Huh. This happened in the 11th minute

This is getting silly. Yes Giroud got the run on him so I'll concede he was marginally at fault there, but I repeat, Mason still managed to get back to him enough to harry the Arsenal striker into shanking his shot, which, again I repeat, was going way, way wide. So much so it fortuitously reached the unmarked Ozil. If that is what you call his fault then I think you are stretching the meaning of the phrase to it's outer limit.:D

It was those errors (all forgiveable in isolation) in combination that lead to the goal. If one of them didn't happen then the goal would have never happened and not forgetting that a shanked shot fluked its way to ozil.

But what Ginola said was true. Not silly. Mason was ahead, then behind Giroud (who lets face it, is not like chasing wellbeck) and watching that link above didn't have any impact on Giroud taking a first time shot (just Girouds ability letting him down).

I love Mason and in a way it was out of character (playing style?) to allow Giroud an unchecked run into the area. Usually he is well on top of these type of situations. I bet being the player he is, at that moment he felt some blame himself. But hey it was all good in the end.

Back