• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

Soldado seems to need the inch perfect ball through the eye of a needle. He cannot seem to create his own chances, oh how I would love him to receive the ball with his back to goal and turn past his marker to shot.

Agreed - he does seem a little one-dimensional / limited for £28m! But hopefully once he starts to get more chances he will show just how good a finisher he is (been disappointing in that respect too so far).

Soldado seems to need the inch perfect ball through the eye of a needle. He cannot seem to create his own chances, oh how I would love him to receive the ball with his back to goal and turn past his marker to shot.

no he just needs someone to at least try and pass to him, that would help

Agreed - he does seem a little one-dimensional / limited for £28m! But hopefully once he starts to get more chances he will show just how good a finisher he is (been disappointing in that respect too so far).

really??

If I was Soldado I'd first have quiet word with the boss about the team getting the ball to me in the kind of position where I could score. And if things didn't change I'd write it off as career mistake and be off to a team that was more set up from my style of football. It can't be any fun at all for Soldado at the moment.

Plus it doesn't send out much of a message to other strikers who might be thinking of signing up. We really do need to sort out the link between midfield/strikers, creation and conversion of chances part of our game.

I'm guessing there is some sort of language barrier to blame for him favoriting an article criticizing his coach. He doesn't seem like the kind of lad to criticize his coach through the media (I might be mistaken, of course), and surely, he must've known about what way AVB wanted to play before deciding to join Spurs.

Having said that, I agree whole-heartedly with the article, and can't for the life of me understand why we're playing with the extra man in the midfield instead of the extra man up front, especially in home games.

Yeah I think so. For a player whose outstanding strength is supposed to be his finishing, there are a few chances that I would have expected him to score at least one of.

i can think of a couple against Cardiff.....apart from that, think of how many games he has played, he is feeding off scraps.

It's ironic that the article criticised AVB for picking Paulinho and Holtby - weren't they the two players involved in Soldado's only PL goal from open play to date?

Just say we win the league and Soldado scores 35 goals but at the end of the season Liverpool offer £25m would you accept?

i can think of a couple against Cardiff.....apart from that, think of how many games he has played, he is feeding off scraps.

Agreed, but for a player whose massive strength is finishing he should have put away more of those scraps.

Just say we win the league and Soldado scores 35 goals but at the end of the season Liverpool offer £25m would you accept?

unless we had someone lined up who is better than him to replace him, no.

No - in that scenario he'd be worth at least twice that.

not very good is he? cant score from open play or at all really

ienCO13KR5U8o.gif

I find it difficult to criticize any of our forwards this season or last, including Ade, the issues we are facing are quite clearly in the build up play. It's pretty hard to score when there are next to no chances created.

I will probably get criticised for this, but does anyone else see a bit of Postiga in him? Not quite strong enough, not quite quick enough, just beaten to the ball by defenders inside the box, the ball not quite dropping for him.

I do know it is hard to play up front in this Spurs-team, but I'm beginning to get some serious doubts about his ability to be successful in English football.

I will probably get criticised for this, but does anyone else see a bit of Postiga in him? Not quite strong enough, not quite quick enough, just beaten to the ball by defenders inside the box, the ball not quite dropping for him.

I do know it is hard to play up front in this Spurs-team, but I'm beginning to get some serious doubts about his ability to be successful in English football.

Is it a problem with Soldado or a problem with the number of chances we create?

I think you can say that Defoe has shown himself capable of being successful in English football, at least up to a certain level in the PL. Yet he has scored what, one goal, in the league in 2013 playing for us. Can we say based on this that Defoe doesn't have the ability to be successful in English football, or should we perhaps instead look to the chance creators in the team and ask why they aren't creating more?

Fair enough today Soldado wasted a couple of chances, but it's not like he's been doing so consistently whilst here. All strikers waste big chances at times, if we continue to create chances like we did at the start of the second half today I think Soldado will start scoring regularly sooner rather than later.

Is it a problem with Soldado or a problem with the number of chances we create?

I think you can say that Defoe has shown himself capable of being successful in English football, at least up to a certain level in the PL. Yet he has scored what, one goal, in the league in 2013 playing for us. Can we say based on this that Defoe doesn't have the ability to be successful in English football, or should we perhaps instead look to the chance creators in the team and ask why they aren't creating more?

Fair enough today Soldado wasted a couple of chances, but it's not like he's been doing so consistently whilst here. All strikers waste big chances at times, if we continue to create chances like we did at the start of the second half today I think Soldado will start scoring regularly sooner rather than later.
It is obviously a combination. I completely agree we don't create enough chances for our strikers. If Soldado had been playing for another team near the top of the table, he would probably have scored more goals, but the fact that he is so dependant on perfect service to score is a weakness in itself. The best strikers can create chances for themselves. You compare to Defoe, but he is not a top class striker either. Soldado also doesn't do much to help our overall play when he doesn't score.

In Spain, the game is slower, and less physical. Here in England it seems like Soldado is always that step behind when we do get the ball into the penalty. He almost gets to clear opportunities from crosses, but a defender just manages to get in front of him, or gets a block in.

I don't have a problem with him wasting chances. None of the chances he got today were clearcut. In fact, he made the most of his header in the first half that Krul saved. My issue with him is that it seems like he lacks a bit of "oomph", to say it very simply. Like I said in the first post, not quite strong, or quick enough. And not clever enough to compensate for it.

You also have to be ask whether Soldado was the right type of striker to buy to go with the way AVB wants us to play. I think the answer to that is clearly "no". Adebayor is the only striker I can see doing well for us up front the way we are playing, but he is being overlooked.

I find it difficult to criticize any of our forwards this season or last, including Ade, the issues we are facing are quite clearly in the build up play. It's pretty hard to score when there are next to no chances created.

I have thought this a lot this season but today Soldado could have easily got a hat-trick. There was one point where he got called offside but still shot in a 1v1 and completely missed the target. Today showed that it isn't only him not getting any chances because he got a lot today and didn't take any of them.

I have thought this a lot this season but today Soldado could have easily got a hat-trick. There was one point where he got called offside but still shot in a 1v1 and completely missed the target. Today showed that it isn't only him not getting any chances because he got a lot today and didn't take any of them.

But his first touch to bring the ball down was better than anything I've seen from many of our strikers in the past!!!!

He will score and looked much more there ageing when we got others supporting him. He should have done better with at least one of the headers but he will come good I'm convinced

Back