• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Soldado - a shambles

i see him making runs, he even comes deep, he doesnt just goal hang.......

but yeah, why did we sign him when we had Defoe. Same can be said of Lamela and Paulinho. Would have been better relying on Townsend and Thudd.

imagine not spending 65-70 mill on Soldado, Lamela and Paulinho. I dont think we would have been any worse off with Defoe, Townsend and Thudd :eek:

Agree with this bit.

Though massively confused by your point that Townsend and Thudd are the same players as Lamela and Paulinho. They're quite clearly not. Thudd was a very slow creative mid, Paulinho is more of a box2box/goalscoring mid. Townsend is a very direct pacey player, Lamela is quite clearly more on the trickery side of things.

Re: Official - Soldado

@TotalFootballFC: A busy afternoon for Roberto Soldado yesterday... taking kick-offs (via @matt_furniss):
BZ6dL1aCMAAxwF6.png

Agree with this bit.

Though massively confused by your point that Townsend and Thudd are the same players as Lamela and Paulinho. They're quite clearly not. Thudd was a very slow creative mid, Paulinho is more of a box2box/goalscoring mid. Townsend is a very direct pacey player, Lamela is quite clearly more on the trickery side of things.

He might get into the box but he doesn't score goals. More likely to hit row Z from 6 yards than hit the net.

i dont see the point of this guy in this team in this system

i never believed the bid was truly on. to see us risk so much on a depreciating asset surprised me to say the least.

however after this i thin levy will be ruthless in his policy once again. his yes boy has had his toys and its cost some bread. we got stung on this deal

i never believed the bid was truly on. to see us risk so much on a depreciating asset surprised me to say the least.

however after this i thin levy will be ruthless in his policy once again. his yes boy has had his toys and its cost some bread. we got stung on this deal

AVB is thinking of dropping him and playing another defender so we can get our clean sheet record back on track.

But Soldado has done nothing wrong really this season. People are expecting him to be Suarez or someone who can create his own goals. He's not. He's the striker we needed under Redknapp to finish off our moves that we no longer create.

Its so frustrating. We had a great creator in Carrick, sold him and got a great finisher in Berbatov, sold him and got a great creator in Modric sold him and then got the striker we were crying out got in Soldado.

A new manager will come in and pair him up with Ade and they will score for fun. Mark my words.

Agree with this bit.

though they are different players, in their own way they could have been just as effective if they were part of the team. seriously, would we be any worse in creation and entertainment value with the following team?

...............thudd....Sandro
...lennon........Eriksen......Townsend
....................Defoe

if AVB wants to play 4231 than that team above is as good as one with Lamela and Paulinho in it instead of Thudd and Townsend and we would have saved a bundle of cash in the process.

im just saying that the 65-70 mill expenditure on these 3 hasnt really significantly strengthened the first team

he doesnt fit in AVBs tactics.....shocking really why he was signed

That's 100% AVB's fault then. He knew the type of player he was getting when signing Soldado and still ok'd the deal and he's now trying to change his game...AT 28. He's a poacher and nothing else and it was clear as day when he played for Valencia.

Tbh i was certain this problem would arise and it's proven to be the case. We needed a striker that could make things happen for himself...someone that gets more involved in general play. Remy would have fitted better in our system, Benteke would have also...but signing a poacher and then proceeding to play a tactic where he doesn't get the ball in the 18 yard box is macaronic to say the least.

Soldado is quality, he was superb for Valencia, and has a bit of a Berbatov about him BUT AVB is not playing to a system to bring the best out of him - then again goals aint exactly on the top of AVBs agenda

That's 100% AVB's fault then. He knew the type of player he was getting when signing Soldado and still ok'd the deal and he's now trying to change his game...AT 28. He's a poacher and nothing else and it was clear as day when he played for Valencia.

Tbh i was certain this problem would arise and it's proven to be the case. We needed a striker that could make things happen for himself...someone that gets more involved in general play. Remy would have fitted better in our system, Benteke would have also...but signing a poacher and then proceeding to play a tactic where he doesn't get the ball in the 18 yard box is macaronic to say the least.

Agree with this. It beggers belief that we have spent this much money on a player and then play a system which will never work for him.

But give AVB enough time and love, Paulinho and Dembele will evolve in Pirlo and Deco in a Pokemon style.

I don't agree. Soldado is well suited to AVB's preferred system, the problem is that the three behind him (all of the variations) are not creating chances or supporting him.

Agree with a lot of what has been said. So much kneejerk to him not doing well. Like i said a few pages earlier, would Defoe add much else? Yes running in behind but would he have held the ball up and supplied like Soldado did for the goal v Norwich and Chelsea?

This guy can easily score goals for fun, but he is desperate for the service! Other than the through ball at Villa where he did score, when has he received a pass when he makes one of those runs in behind? It's not him thats the problem, its the lack of service and support he receives which is.

Tbf fair to AVB he had a similar system at Porto where he played Falcao who is of a similar ilk to Soldado and that worked out rather well for him. The trouble is since Porto at both Chelsea and Tottenham he has tried to replicate a similar system with the same style of forward (Torres and Defoe) and both times he has had a change of heart and has reverted back to a forward that prefers to play with his back towards goal.

With the right type of service i don't doubt Soldado will score plenty of goals in this system, that said, i wouldn't mind seeing us change it up for a while and go 4-4-2.

I don't agree. Soldado is well suited to AVB's preferred system, the problem is that the three behind him (all of the variations) are not creating chances or supporting him.

He scored 50 odd goals for Valencia, apparently only one was from outside the box. Due to the system and the style AVB has imposed on the team, we don't get the ball into the box, and when we do there is absolutely no space because our build up is so slow that teams are able to get themselves back into shape. They basically sit as two banks of four and watch us pass the ball about in front of them.

Its very difficult for the 3 behind him to create anything when they are constantly up against a back four which has plenty of time to get themselves organised. People talk about the inverted winger system and claim that there is no point in us going to the by-line as Soldado isn't big. Getting to the bye-line isn't all about throwing in crosses for a Benteke type to head home, it pulls full backs out of position, creates space for Soldado to nip into. At the minute, we are so narrow that all the space Soldado would take up isn't there. For me, that is AVB's fault.

I honestly think that if Soldado was playing in any of the big four he would have scored a bucket load by now. For me, its not the player, its the system.

He scored 50 odd goals for Valencia, apparently only one was from outside the box. Due to the system and the style AVB has imposed on the team, we don't get the ball into the box, and when we do there is absolutely no space because our build up is so slow that teams are able to get themselves back into shape. They basically sit as two banks of four and watch us pass the ball about in front of them.

Its very difficult for the 3 behind him to create anything when they are constantly up against a back four which has plenty of time to get themselves organised. People talk about the inverted winger system and claim that there is no point in us going to the by-line as Soldado isn't big. Getting to the bye-line isn't all about throwing in crosses for a Benteke type to head home, it pulls full backs out of position, creates space for Soldado to nip into. At the minute, we are so narrow that all the space Soldado would take up isn't there. For me, that is AVB's fault.

I honestly think that if Soldado was playing in any of the big four he would have scored a bucket load by now. For me, its not the player, its the system.

There is not reason why inverted wingers should result in less opportunities for a striker and should mean that he gets more support. There is no denying that the formation and/or players are misfiring for us at the moment but that does not mean that it cannot work or that it is inherently defensive.

AVB is thinking of dropping him and playing another defender so we can get our clean sheet record back on track.

But Soldado has done nothing wrong really this season. People are expecting him to be Suarez or someone who can create his own goals. He's not. He's the striker we needed under Redknapp to finish off our moves that we no longer create.

Its so frustrating. We had a great creator in Carrick, sold him and got a great finisher in Berbatov, sold him and got a great creator in Modric sold him and then got the striker we were crying out got in Soldado.

this post is slightly off key for me

soldado definately takes a chunk of blame because he doesnt get involved enough for a lone premiershi striker IMO. why one earth would anyone with half a brain cell keep making runs behind the defence that requires a slide rule accuracy of zidane to make the run worth while? ****ing guy is starting to feel like a lost player on the pitch. there is little feeling for me that he is even trying to adapt to the pace of the premiership...and for a guy that is supposed to be spatially aware he seems to have people riding his ass everytime he gets the ball. to the point that i think his markers play better cause their confidence is raised that they can own him

by no means did i expect him to be suarez...i did however expect him to be a ready made hit the ground running striker thats able to play up there on his own and be a complete nuisance for opposition.

and him challenging for ariel dues in the middle of the pitch. forget it...it felt like watching Robbie keane challenge for headers all over again....totally pointless and done only as a token gesture , never to actually win it.

carrick wasnt a creator for us , he was a playmaker at the base / pivot (whatever the in-name is these days) but not a creator in the final third.

and berbatov wasnt a great finisher..he was a technically gifted player but a great finisher IMO

Back