• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

By those who agree with his politics, yes.

That's just something they'll live with (or convince themselves isn't real) in order to avoid the cognitive dissonance that comes with supporting him and his ilk.

One doesn’t have to agree with his politics to be able to engage in unbiased critical thinking. Its pretty fun to witness how under your skin he still gets

One doesn’t have to agree with his politics to be able to engage in unbiased critical thinking. Its pretty fun to witness how under your skin he still gets
Not really him - at least not now he's no longer a threat to the country or minorities.

Those that described themselves as Corbynistas are still a danger to both though and should be politically marginalised and ridiculed until they go back to the common rooms they crawled out from.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned here before that there are some things that do have to be funded publicly.

Wars are absolutely on that list.
A laudable positon to take. Or would be if one penny of that money was going anywhere other than the bank accounts of the energy companies. The UK has contributed somewhere in the region of £6-10 billion to the war in various forms I believe, which is fantastic. But saddling the UK with €130billion in extra debt has nothing to do with funding the war in Ukraine. Tories hand out billions to their mates and donors like confetti so maybe they could stop doing that and use that money for Ukraine instead. Just a thought.

The UK has very little dependence on Russian gas (single-digit percentages) so what is wrong in the UK is not the supply of gas, it is a flawed marketplace where other energy forms are tied to the marginal gas prices. That needs to be changed. And as supply is not really the issue for the UK it also highlights another obvious flaw in the plan to drill for more or start fracking (which won't work anyway). There is no need to engage in stupidly creating more soon-to-be stranded assets and end civilisation as a chaser.

It is almost like the government is beholden to its donors in the energy companies and doesn't give a flying fudge about the actual people.

Not really him - at least not now he's no longer a threat to the country or minorities.

Those that described themselves as Corbynistas are still a danger to both though and should be politically marginalised and ridiculed until they go back to the common rooms they crawled out from.

Very nicely put but its ok to just admit it. It's a safe space here. I wouldn't shout too loudly about the minority threat though, considering your posting history.

A laudable positon to take. Or would be if one penny of that money was going anywhere other than the bank accounts of the energy companies. The UK has contributed somewhere in the region of £6-10 billion to the war in various forms I believe, which is fantastic. But saddling the UK with €130billion in extra debt has nothing to do with funding the war in Ukraine. Tories hand out billions to their mates and donors like confetti so maybe they could stop doing that and use that money for Ukraine instead. Just a thought.

The UK has very little dependence on Russian gas (single-digit percentages) so what is wrong in the UK is not the supply of gas, it is a flawed marketplace where other energy forms are tied to the marginal gas prices. That needs to be changed. And as supply is not really the issue for the UK it also highlights another obvious flaw in the plan to drill for more or start fracking (which won't work anyway). There is no need to engage in stupidly creating more soon-to-be stranded assets and end civilisation as a chaser.

It is almost like the government is beholden to its donors in the energy companies and doesn't give a flying fudge about the actual people.
We could buy Russian gas pretty cheaply right now, I'm sure. I bet they'd love to fudge the EU over a little more, but we don't - that's the cost of supporting Ukraine.

Where did you get £130B from?

Very nicely put but its ok to just admit it. It's a safe space here. I wouldn't shout too loudly about the minority threat though, considering your posting history.
I think you meant to type "...given my lack of understanding of your posting history..."

It's more about being able to produce our own demand - that protects us from global shocks.

But they'll be produced by private companies and sold at open market prices. Short of nationalizing or bringing in some laws to sell it at at cost price there's not much you can do.

But they'll be produced by private companies and sold at open market prices. Short of nationalizing or bringing in some laws to sell it at at cost price there's not much you can do.
There's plenty of case law for blocking exports of vital products when at war. This may be a cold war but it's a war all the same.

I don't think there would be much disagreement with keeping our energy if we were producing enough to survive on.

There's plenty of case law for blocking exports of vital products when at war. This may be a cold war but it's a war all the same.

I don't think there would be much disagreement with keeping our energy if we were producing enough to survive on.
Wait, I thought you didn't want to scare investors off. This is a tad inconsistent with that position :confused:

They could do it now, hundreds of thousands of barrels are produced per day. Granted a lot isn't suitable for UK use so is exported but on the stuff that is they could force them to sell it at a fair price to the UK only. Drilling new oil won't solve the problem if the govt of the day is too gutless to do anything with it. Lets face it this is just rhetoric and soundbites but anyone who's looked into the details of this stuff knows it's not going to affect anything.

The real danger now is the lunatic erg zealots who have taken over the uk government.

the damage these lot could do in two years could set our country back decades.

they have zero fiscal or policy credibility and are doing a fine job of messing things up already.

I see Krazy karting has sacked the top civil servant in the treasury for no discernible reason

you really want the both the minister for the treasury and the top civil servant in the treasury to be total noobs at times like this!

Who knows what set him off.

I was at a funeral years ago and the vicar looked just like Norman Pace, during the opening he used the line “we know a story about that”, someone from the deceased’s family added “don’t we Johnny” and that was that.

Back