• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

She reisted the pressure for a windfall tax and began the plans for energy independence.

That's quite a lot more than just trying to scare off investment like the other lot wanted.
Just because she did better than expected doesn’t mean she did well!

and her failure to apply another windfall tax “is a disgrace” to coin a phrase!

the big energy providers are effectively war profiteering. And they are actually willing to accept a second windfall tax.

this should not have any impact on investment because these are unanticipated and unearned profits that are driving up the cost of living, and should therefore be used to ameliorate the impact on the uk population.

Just because she did better than expected doesn’t mean she did well!

and her failure to apply another windfall tax “is a disgrace” to coin a phrase!

the big energy providers are effectively war profiteering. And they are actually willing to accept a second windfall tax.

this should not have any impact on investment because these are unanticipated and unearned profits that are driving up the cost of living, and should therefore be used to ameliorate the impact on the uk population.
Businesses don't invest long term money into unstable tax regimes - it's just not a sensible plan. BP and Shell can look for gas anywhere in the world. Given the choice, they'll go for the place where profits are predictably taxed.

Unpredictable taxation is worse than high taxation.

Businesses don't invest long term money into unstable tax regimes - it's just not a sensible plan. BP and Shell can look for gas anywhere in the world. Given the choice, they'll go for the place where profits are predictably taxed.

Unpredictable taxation is worse than high taxation.
I’d agree if we were talking about regular business operations in normal times, but these aren’t normal business operation nor times.

these abnormal profits are generated solely by the war in the Ukraine and the impact it’s had on energy prices, not by by anything that the energy companies have done. The knock on effect of the cost of living justified the extraordinary action of a second windfall tax and should have no consequence for investment in the uk. That argument is simply a red herring, some thing that has been acknowledged by the executive leadership of BP. If they can acknowledge it I don’t see why you or the tories can’t.

I’d agree if we were talking about regular business operations in normal times, but these aren’t normal business operation nor times.

these abnormal profits are generated solely by the war in the Ukraine and the impact it’s had on energy prices, not by by anything that the energy companies have done. The knock on effect of the cost of living justified the extraordinary action of a second windfall tax and should have no consequence for investment in the uk. That argument is simply a red herring, some thing that has been acknowledged by the executive leadership of BP. If they can acknowledge it I don’t see why you or the tories can’t.

Because voters will like state intervention when they see it. After 30+ years of the most extreme neo-liberalism, a large percentage of the population have never seen how it's possible for things to work much better if big business isn't all powerful.

She reisted the pressure for a windfall tax and began the plans for energy independence.

That's quite a lot more than just trying to scare off investment like the other lot wanted.
Can you think of a balanced solution, that would make sense and keep everyone happy...just from your quoted post?

I don't think fracking and more North Sea drilling is going to help much, it will be years before anything is available and it will be sold at market prices. The part about being an energy exporter by 2040 is promising but the policies aren't in place to match it.

And the government has had their windfall from it. Profits have increased and so, therefore, has the tax return.

I don't think fracking and more North Sea drilling is going to help much, it will be years before anything is available and it will be sold at market prices. The part about being an energy exporter by 2040 is promising but the policies aren't in place to match it.
It's more about being able to produce our own demand - that protects us from global shocks.

Can you think of a balanced solution, that would make sense and keep everyone happy...just from your quoted post?
Truss's solution was very balanced.

No politician will ever keep everyone happy - there are far too many Corbynites who won't rest until the country is destroyed.

I know in the villages they think he’s an anti-Semite, but in proper places that’s been widely disregarded.
By those who agree with his politics, yes.

That's just something they'll live with (or convince themselves isn't real) in order to avoid the cognitive dissonance that comes with supporting him and his ilk.

Back