• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Always the EU’s fault. It’s a negotiation - and they hold most of the best cards. What does anyone (bar self-important Brits) expect?

Now we will probably “reclaim our sovereignty” by operating under WHO rules.

I was struck by the images of Johnson at the Brussels dinner; a man who stumbles over single words in the same way poor speakers normally stumble over sentences. Looking at him, and listening to him, I suddenly realised that the rest of the world must now look at us like we look at Trump’s America - how did you vote him in, and how did you dig yourselves into this mess?

View attachment 10225

Bang on.

As i said on previous page, leaving the EU is complex and possible, but you need the absolute best in business in Govt to make it successful. Boris is an absolute chancer with zero attention to detail (see COVID).

Boris is the worst possible person at the worst possible time to be leading the country. Hunt or Gove would have managed this better in my view, but we'll reap what we sow.

Bang on.

As i said on previous page, leaving the EU is complex and possible, but you need the absolute best in business in Govt to make it successful. Boris is an absolute chancer with zero attention to detail (see COVID).

Boris is the worst possible person at the worst possible time to be leading the country. Hunt or Gove would have managed this better in my view, but we'll reap what we sow.
At the absolute minimum he should have extended the transition, back when it was allowed. Considering the ongoing Covid situation and how unprepared most businesses and customs are for this monumental change, this was negligent beyond belief.

Hunt or Gove would have managed this better

That is stretching reality.

Boris and the true power base in the background have never wanted anything other than a hard Brexit from the off.
So the real people behind this have achieved their exact intention. Boris was just the public figure that was used to ride at the head of the Brexit column so to speak.

If was the EU who told us up front we could have the Canada deal as an "off the shelf" option.

Once they realised we were actually serious about leaving they then withdrew that deal.

I thought we wanted Canada Plus? The Canada deal does still have tariffs on some goods, and doesn't include services?
Although that all seems so long ago now my memory may well be out.

This has become then whining cry of Leavers. They offered us Canada and nasty EU took it away. Boohoo!!!

It is utter nonsense and illustrates their deluded position. Firstly, the Canada-EU trade agreement does not include financial services (or any services). So a Canada deal wouldn’t work for the UK. We’d loose out on all the financial free trade. Secondly, we’re right on the door step of the EU. If we’re to have open free access to the Eu market it means something. We can pop goods onto a lorry and a few hours later they’re in the single market. Canadian companies can’t do that. So the EU would want different rules for us to have free access. Furthermore, Canada don’t have a history of breaking international agreements. The EU need a mechanism to protect their market if the UK messes about reneging on agreements as it has over Ireland.

I just find it funny when Leavers, who supposedly wanted autonomy, start to blame the external EU. Responsibility lies solely with those in the UK who promised all the benefits of Brexit, they were always flimflam.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I think you're forgetting the bit when the EU did themselves point out that we could have a Canada style deal. They just didn't think we'd ever want that (standard arrogance and inability to look outside its borders).

I'm not arguing the case for Canada as a deal, I'm simply pointing out that one can't criticise the govt for claiming a deal was ready (it was, one had been offered) and then having it taken away from them.

I thought we wanted Canada Plus? The Canada deal does still have tariffs on some goods, and doesn't include services?
Although that all seems so long ago now my memory may well be out.
Not sure. It was on the sliding scale of what the EU had available as "off the shelf offers" anyway.

They fully expected us to choose one of the Norway type ones. When we printed out that we were perfectly happy with one of the ones further down their list, they immediately changed their minds and decided they didn't want to offer those after all.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-latest-boris-johnson-b1769569.html

“Mr Johnson said the main blockages in talks [included]...a demand by the EU for stronger guarantees that the UK would not undercut its labour and environmental standards in future.”

So they want to fudge the planet a bit more and give their buddies extra cash, cooooolsies.
No, they want to fudge employees too.

And then undercut everyone by doing so - that's how the world works.

Not sure. It was on the sliding scale of what the EU had available as "off the shelf offers" anyway.

They fully expected us to choose one of the Norway type ones. When we printed out that we were perfectly happy with one of the ones further down their list, they immediately changed their minds and decided they didn't want to offer those after all.

From a quick google, it was us who took it 'off the table' because of the NI customs union / backstop requirements that the EU were insisting on.
I suppose with the NI situation nothing could ever be truly off the shelf.

Whatever the history it's an absolute mess now.

From a quick google, it was us who took it 'off the table' because of the NI customs union / backstop requirements that the EU were insisting on.
I suppose with the NI situation nothing could ever be truly off the shelf.

Whatever the history it's an absolute mess now.

Northern Irland was sorted but Brexeteers just moved on to another EU red line to hurl themselves at, all the time knowing it was dead in the water.

Back