• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* / OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine / *

The issue however is if Hudd also possesses it as a defensive player (as opposed to his creativity which few will debate). Yes he puts his foot in but more often than not either misses the tackle or fouls the player. In the same way you said of Jenas, Hudd does not have the nous and vision to close down the space and anticipate where his opponent will be. So if you talking about Hudd playing the "Fernando" role which requires him to press and tackle as well as quickly retreat to support the centre backs then, for all his creative qualities Hudd is not your player.

The only realistic position that Hudd could fill in the typical AVB 4-2-3-1 is that of playmaker. However I have my doubts if Hudd can provide the continuous mobility that this role requires.

Ultimately the central two will be Parker or Sandro plus the "Moutinho type" player who will be brought in instead of Modric.

At the end of the day we are only having this discussion because Parker is out and Sandro did not figure in pre-season. Rest assured that Jenas will be nowhere close to a first team starter come the 1 September.

As for Hudd, I hope I am wrong cause I always hoped he would be our new Hoddle, but I cannot realistically see him figuring regularly unless he pulls out a new rabbit that we have never seen before. His best position would be the Pirlo role in the Italian Euro system in which he plays the deep playmaker supported by two mobile runners in central midfield and two wingers or wing-backs to aim his bullets to... a 4-5-1 rather than 4-2-3-1

Some good points here. I think Hudd has the nous but not the mobility, which is his Achilles heel. In my opinion his positional sense is pretty good but he is easily beaten by a trick or pure speed. But for me his failings are more than compensated by his strengths. His distribution and recycling of possession masks the deficiencies in his game.

Comparing him to Alonso is unfair, as Alonso is technically and literally in a different league to most players. Thudd works best at the base of a triangle with another player beside him, as opposed to him being the defensive linchpin.

Actually I have a theory that he would be a revelation at the front of a midfield three but that's for another day.

Some good points here. I think Hudd has the nous but not the mobility, which is his Achilles heel. In my opinion his positional sense is pretty good but he is easily beaten by a trick or pure speed. But for me his failings are more than compensated by his strengths. His distribution and recycling of possession masks the deficiencies in his game.

Comparing him to Alonso is unfair, as Alonso is technically and literally in a different league to most players. Thudd works best at the base of a triangle with another player beside him, as opposed to him being the defensive linchpin.

Actually I have a theory that he would be a revelation at the front of a midfield three but that's for another day.

That is where I think he should be playing.

Better brush up on your European football knowledge, mate.

The "Fernando" is not Alonso!!!!! It's Fernando Francisco Rege, the Porto defensive midfielder under AVB.

I also believe that Hudd can be an effective player - though I doubt if he is genuinely top 4 quality regular starter - if the formation is built around him. However that is not going to happen under AVB. I agree with a poster that Fulham would be a great destination for him and would not exclude a Dembele swap....

Saudi Sportswashing Machine have a good side out apart from defence, we will get chances but so will they. 1-1 draw.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine bench: Harper, R Taylor, Williamson, Anita, Gosling, Obertan, Shola Ameobi

Back