• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* / OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine / *

Hudd not even in the squad is a mistake simple as. I have a feeling this is going be a recurring theme in the match thread.

Jenas may be athletic but this isn't the bloody Olympics. I don't buy this idea that Jenas is going to be better at pressing the ball. I haven't seen anything in Jenas' play to support that argument. In fact I've frequently seen him run up to an opposing player, stop 6 yards in front of him and stick both arms out. Why I don't know but he loves doing it. That's not pressing and is easy to bypass with a pass.

Sorry Jermaine you've had your chances and failed to take them.

I 100% believe Jenas would be better at pressing the ball than Huddlestone and will argue that all day long.

And he clearly hasn't been rubbish in pre-season if AVB is taking him ahead of other players! Again, he has no agenda. He doesn't have his favourites. This isn't a case of him persisting with a poorly performing signing. He needs to be a success, and has chosen players he thinks can achieve that.

I 100% believe Jenas would be better at pressing the ball than Huddlestone and will argue that all day long.

And he clearly hasn't been rubbish in pre-season if AVB is taking him ahead of other players! Again, he has no agenda. He doesn't have his favourites. This isn't a case of him persisting with a poorly performing signing. He needs to be a success, and has chosen players he thinks can achieve that.

But if Defoe is the lone striker I am not sure we should be playing a bold pressing game. That system needs the right personnel otherwise we are going to cut open. But I'm sorry on Jenas he was so poor pre-season, and if AVB thinks his performances were good enough then we should be worried. But your right he needs to be a success, especially considering what Harry achieved.

But if Defoe is the lone striker I am not sure we should be playing a bold pressing game. That system needs the right personnel otherwise we are going to cut open. But I'm sorry on Jenas he was so poor pre-season, and if AVB thinks his performances were good enough then we should be worried. But your right he needs to be a success, especially considering what Harry achieved.

Was Jenas really that bad in pre-season? Like so bad, that he deserves to be singled out as 'so poor' ahead of other players?

I saw all of the pre-season matches and Jenas was not good in any of them, in my opinion. I used to be a Jenas fan but he's worn me down over the years and basically he hasn't developed into the player he should have.

Jenas is a totally reactive player, no bigger picture in his head. For me he just doesn't have the football intelligence to be a top 4 midfielder and it's unlikely it will magically appear now. I'll concede that he is more mobile than Hudd, but this is only one facet of the game and one that can be compensated for by using your head.

Was Jenas really that bad in pre-season? Like so bad, that he deserves to be singled out as 'so poor' ahead of other players?

No I will be fair to him in saying a number didn't set the world alight, and I will accept that introducing a new system and trying to do so without any frontline options is highly difficult. In that respect I hope AVB is willing to be flexible. But that said, on Jenas, I think considering the opportunity he had to get back into the 1st team plans he was indeed a major letdown. Against Valencia his passing was woeful and no amount of athletic ability will convince me that he should be included. But again lets see what AVB does, at the moment everything is unclear about what he wants to do.

YES! Come on BoL, Jenas was woeful, just as he always is.

He cannot contribute going forwards.
He doesn't contribute enough defensively as he never makes a challenge - he stands 2 yards off to try and block a pass, but never engages the player.

After a few minutes the opposition realise Jenas will never tackle them, he just stands 2 yards away with his arms out.

This is NOT the same as Carrick and Modric who shut off lanes, take up good positions to stop runs etc - Jenas just runs up and stops.

Awful player, fingers crossed he is not in AVB's plans.

My big hope is that Thudd is a stone overweight, but otherwise fit. Therefore AVB may have said he needs to lose the timber and cut out the McDonalds and get cut. Then he can get his place back. He is a great player but should lose a stone, it is obvious.

My big hope is that Thudd is a stone overweight, but otherwise fit. Therefore AVB may have said he needs to lose the timber and cut out the McDonalds and get cut. Then he can get his place back. He is a great player but should lose a stone, it is obvious.

I think there is a good chance this is true. Huddlestone did have weight problems and is likely to have gained weight during his layoff and rehabilitation. This is much more likely than that ABV doesnt want him and prefers Jenas.

Well im about to take my 9 year old to his 1st spurs game, living up here he is trying to support the barcodes, here's hoping for a good performance from the boys to change him forever.........

Coys

Well im about to take my 9 year old to his 1st spurs game, living up here he is trying to support the barcodes, here's hoping for a good performance from the boys to change him forever.........

Coys

Enjoy and if he doesnt want to support Spurs, disown him its simple

I saw all of the pre-season matches and Jenas was not good in any of them, in my opinion. I used to be a Jenas fan but he's worn me down over the years and basically he hasn't developed into the player he should have.

Jenas is a totally reactive player, no bigger picture in his head. For me he just doesn't have the football intelligence to be a top 4 midfielder and it's unlikely it will magically appear now. I'll concede that he is more mobile than Hudd, but this is only one facet of the game and one that can be compensated for by using your head.

The issue however is if Hudd also possesses it as a defensive player (as opposed to his creativity which few will debate). Yes he puts his foot in but more often than not either misses the tackle or fouls the player. In the same way you said of Jenas, Hudd does not have the nous and vision to close down the space and anticipate where his opponent will be. So if you talking about Hudd playing the "Fernando" role which requires him to press and tackle as well as quickly retreat to support the centre backs then, for all his creative qualities Hudd is not your player.

The only realistic position that Hudd could fill in the typical AVB 4-2-3-1 is that of playmaker. However I have my doubts if Hudd can provide the continuous mobility that this role requires.

Ultimately the central two will be Parker or Sandro plus the "Moutinho type" player who will be brought in instead of Modric.

At the end of the day we are only having this discussion because Parker is out and Sandro did not figure in pre-season. Rest assured that Jenas will be nowhere close to a first team starter come the 1 September.

As for Hudd, I hope I am wrong cause I always hoped he would be our new Hoddle, but I cannot realistically see him figuring regularly unless he pulls out a new rabbit that we have never seen before. His best position would be the Pirlo role in the Italian Euro system in which he plays the deep playmaker supported by two mobile runners in central midfield and two wingers or wing-backs to aim his bullets to... a 4-5-1 rather than 4-2-3-1

YES! Come on BoL, Jenas was woeful, just as he always is.

He cannot contribute going forwards.
He doesn't contribute enough defensively as he never makes a challenge - he stands 2 yards off to try and block a pass, but never engages the player.

After a few minutes the opposition realise Jenas will never tackle them, he just stands 2 yards away with his arms out.

This is NOT the same as Carrick and Modric who shut off lanes, take up good positions to stop runs etc - Jenas just runs up and stops.

Awful player, fingers crossed he is not in AVB's plans.

Hudd needs a body design to maximise his speed. That sounds weird but for 100m sprinters its par for the course. Their muscle mass is tailored to their frame to maximise their speed. Hence you see sprinters of all shapes and sizes (as opposed to swimmers who all look the same shape).

Enjoy and if he doesnt want to support Spurs, disown him its simple

I told my children that they could support who they wanted but if they got into football and didn't support Spurs then I would put them up for adoption :) 2 aren't interested in football and the other is a Spurs fan.

I won't argue too much for Jenas as it's clear I'm in the minority but I disagree with a lot of the negativity he is getting, and I think he could be a useful option. He absolutely won't be a starter once Parker and Sandro are back and may well be behind Livermore but I think he can do a job, and I think he could have some of the qualities that could be good in an AVB side.

When we played Huddlestone in the win against Arsenal in the season we got 4th, he was good. He played alongside Modric and he did well. But we played a deep line so we were sitting back and hitting them on the break. I really don't think he suits a high-line pressing game, there will be too many gaps with him there if he isn't up to speed.

I think he could do really well at Fulham under Jol. A team that likes to pass the ball but it a bit more moderate in terms of how they defend.

Back