• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sporting CP ***

If it takes longer than then a minute then the decision is subjective and a matter of opinion, rolling tapes backwards and forwards does not accurately represent what happened.

no, nothing is subjective or a matter of opinion, everything can be measured accurately if you put enough time and effort into it

We're guaranteed third (baring some really really odd results).

If we lose, and Sporting and Frankfurt draw, 2-4th will depend on goal difference, so lots of different permutations there! Lose by less than 3 and third place is ours.
Lose and either SL/EF win, we still get 3rd.
Draw or win - we qualify.
Lose by three or and EF/SL draw, I think it then goes to head to head? If so, we finish third.
Lose by 4 and EF/SL draw, we finish 4th.

I think that's correct.
I'm assuming categorisation is:
I. Goal difference.
II. Head of head
But it's hard to keep up!

I personally think finishing third would be best for us.
We're not ready (and that includes Conte at Spurs) for anything past the group stage. But we are ready to be really good in the EL.
The players need to show who can step past that point - at present it's 5/6 at best.
Not goal difference if its a 3-way, points count first and its sporting 2nd us 3rd and EF 4th no matter the score, I believe

Last edited:

If we lose, and Sporting and Frankfurt draw, 2-4th will depend on goal difference, so lots of different permutations there! Lose by less than 3 and third place is ours.
Lose by three or and EF/SL draw, I think it then goes to head to head? If so, we finish third.

I think that's correct.
I. Goal difference.
II. Head of head

We're not ready (and that includes Conte at Spurs) for anything past the group stage. But we are ready to be really good in the EL.
The players need to show who can step past that point - at present it's 5/6 at best.
Qualifying would be best. Even if we get knocked out next round it will mean less games after the World Cup.

Missed the game as i don't need the stress but pleased to read we played much better in the second half. Don't understand how Kane can be offside if it comes off a defender??

Missed the game as i don't need the stress but pleased to read we played much better in the second half. Don't understand how Kane can be offside if it comes off a defender??
Only counts if the defender makes a deliberate attempt to play the ball. This time it just bounced off him unfortunately

I think that's correct.
I. Goal difference.
II. Head of head

Yes. We cant finish bottom as we have a better head-to-head v Frankfurt

Is that right? I thought it was only if the player was behind the ball.
I stand to be corrected.
I don't have the latest of the rule books, but in all my life as a ref, you could not be offside if you where behind the ball when it was played, or the pass is going backwards.
They might have dropped the backward pass part, but I'd be surprised.

That’s onside, just seen the replays on BT. The lines they’ve drawn look dodgy as fudge!

what point of the ball have they drawn the line from?
Yeah I was watching that too. No way to draw those lines with any accuracy. It was impossible to tell where the edge of the ball was. He just took a wild guess.

no, nothing is subjective or a matter of opinion, everything can be measured accurately if you put enough time and effort into it
A foul is subjective, the handball rule appears to be too and the offside rule cannot be measured accurately to a mm.

Goaline tec, a yard onside or offside works well.

The deflection of the defender isn’t important, it’s all about whether Harry was ahead of the ball, I’ve seen no evidence yet that he was.

I'm guessing you've played Sunday league so you know every rule.
If only there was someway of checking
I was a ref for 25 years. Hardly counts. Might be they dropped the part with pass going backwards in the later years, but that'd surprise me, as there's never been any debate about it, and very few situations where it comes into play.

Yep
His head
But Kanes offside is his furthest body part
You can’t have one rule for one bit and another for the other…

Other than the fact that you can...

The rule is that it's not offside if the receiver isn't ahead of the ball. There's no rule about not being ahead of the player passing the ball.

Much better second half with makes me fudged off at the first half. They looked like 1970 Brazil in the first half. We were so fudging passive. That’s on Conte for me. Second half we played 15 yards higher up the pitch and stretched the play and they couldn’t cope on the ball. They just gave it back to us.

Thought Romero, Bentancur and Perisic did well second half. Gil was brilliant when he came on. Royal…strange sub and his distribution was laughable.

The offside…fudge me. The inverse feelings of Emirates Marketing Project a few years ago.

A foul is subjective, the handball rule appears to be too and the offside rule cannot be measured accurately to a mm.

Goaline tec, a yard onside or offside works well.

that's because we are not putting enough time or effort into it, every mm of every surface of the pitch, posts, balls and players should be covered with tiny hyper accurate positioning beacons and pressure sensors

it'll be worth it in the end

Back