• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Everton FC ***

Son's finishing has never and probably never will go away. Deadeye!
I don't know why people don't seem to trust him getting back to scoring. He always has, just like Harry did. He has some weak run of games from time to time, but he always gets back to business. That is why we never should make a wedding when he scores or a funeral when he doesn't. We should not doubt his ability, he has earned at least that much from us. Last year's "unconvincing season" finished with 17 goals and 10 assists. Would love for everyone to have a season like that.

I don't know why people don't seem to trust him getting back to scoring. He always has, just like Harry did. He has some weak run of games from time to time, but he always gets back to business. That is why we never should make a wedding when he scores or a funeral when he doesn't. We should not doubt his ability, he has earned at least that much from us.
Scoring isn’t the issue
It’s where he is playing that is/was
His second goal today was a classic son finish. Brilliantly executed
His first was classic son hard running and putting the pressure on (other may have missed that finish too judging by some this season)
What I enjoyed most was when he won the free kick that maddsion hit wide, that was him coming centrally and keeping the ball in the thankless way a CF would.
His work rate today was exceptional and he didn’t fade all game

I don't know why people don't seem to trust him getting back to scoring. He always has, just like Harry did. He has some weak run of games from time to time, but he always gets back to business. That is why we never should make a wedding when he scores or a funeral when he doesn't. We should not doubt his ability, he has earned at least that much from us. Last year's "unconvincing season" finished with 17 goals and 10 assists. Would love for everyone to have a season like that.

We all want son to do better and at times he can be poor.

What i don't get is people saying he's lost a yard of pace. He clearly hasn't.

Scoring isn’t the issue
It’s where he is playing that is/was
His second goal today was a classic son finish. Brilliantly executed
His first was classic son hard running and putting the pressure on (other may have missed that finish too judging by some this season)
What I enjoyed most was when he won the free kick that maddsion hit wide, that was him coming centrally and keeping the ball in the thankless way a CF would.
His work rate today was exceptional and he didn’t fade all game
Italians have a saying for an outstanding player, fuoriclasse. Problem is, he is our only fuoriclasse. În bigger sides, there are more than one, some have 3 or 4. When one of them doesn't have a good game, one of the others does and takes the spotlight out of the poor performance by the first one. When you only have one, people talk about it.

I hope other clubs learn their lesson from Everton today.

Go a goal down to Spurs and dig in, take the one goal defeat and think yourselves lucky.

I know I am in the minority here but I think Odobert was only marginally better than Johnson. Yes he can beat a man or two but often follow with little end product. He also gave away the ball in dangerous area. That pass to the middle straight to opposition in our own half was shocking.

That free kick just outside their area - I thought Son should have taken it?

The third goal - I would give as much credit to Pickford as Maddison and Cuti. It was too close to their goal any half decent goalkeeper would have intervened and denied it.

All in all Pickford gifted us 2 goal and we got a somewhat flattering scoreline.

We all want son to do better and at times he can be poor.

What i don't get is people saying he's lost a yard of pace. He clearly hasn't.
He is still reasonably quick. What I think he has lost is his ball carrying and protection. The forth goal for example I thought VDV was going to pass to Son much sooner and I doubt it would lead to a goal if Son has to carry the ball much further from their goal. Of course we all know what happened and really great effort from VDV and a very well taken goal by Son.

Quite an interesting game compared to last week:

Positives:

Odobert ... what a talent. He is better than werner because he has much better end product

Depth...no noticeable drop in quality (it was at a stage where Everton stopped playing and game became scrappy)

Willingness to shoot from outside the box.

Negatives

Defence ...individual mistakes (arsenal and cited can go for weeks without )

Maddison...a critical position but looking easily like the next player upgrade candidate

Questions

What's this playing out the ball at walking pace thing? Like 90s world cup football.

Is this 100% angeball yet? I'm still waiting to see the exciting all-game attacking at speed mode. what else to expect and what changes necessary? Game was very boring at times

Positives:

Odobert ... what a talent. He is better than werner because he has much better end product

Depth...no noticeable drop in quality (it was at a stage where Everton stopped playing and game became scrappy)

Negatives

Maddison...a critical position but looking easily like the next player upgrade candidate

Questions

What's this playing out the ball at walking pace thing? Like 90s world cup football.

Is this 100% angeball yet? I'm still waiting to see the exciting all-game attacking at speed mode. what else to expect and what changes necessary? Game was very boring at times

Yep, when the tempo goes, so does our threat. It usually is at its worse just after our first goal.

I think the score was not really indicative of the performance. We played excellent the first 15 minutes, but after that it was moments of individual brilliance, rather than intricate play, that allowed us to score.

For whatever reason, after we score we seem to struggle to play fluidly. We slow the game down more than we should and get sloppy in the final third. The "killer instinct" that some people mentioned is playing the same as we did in the first 15 minutes of this match throughout at least 75% of the match, regardless of what the score is. I'm pretty sure that's what Ange wants too, but we're not there yet.

Last edited:
All internationals should be done as camps at the end of the season. More beneficial to everyone.

Season would end sooner and managers would get more time at international level with players.
For the most part, I agree. But these breaks can sometimes be beneficial when the squad has injuries (of course players could also get injured when on international duty).

Positives:

Negatives

Questions

On your questions.

I'm assuming you mean when they were settled in a low or medium block and we had the ball at the back?

We are quite slow in those phases for sure. Imo that seems to be part of the plan.

A fairly common approach in those situations is to move the ball fairly quickly from side to side, shift them across, try to find some space on the side you shift it to. We do that a bit and did find Odobert, Johnson and sometimes others (Maddison, Kulusevski, full backs) in those kinds of areas.

We do also try to force the play into the centre. Try to slip it into one of the midfielders or full backs between the lines (opposition forward and midfield lines). We wait on the ball to wait for the movements in midfield to find that pass. Or to find the ball in behind like Romero did twice.

Slow, slow, slow then really quick.

I think it's a good approach, and quite like that we mix that with moving it side to side.

Game was boring at times because we were clearly winning and in control and Everton had very little ability in open play.

I think the score was not really indicative of the performance. We played excellent the first 15 minutes, but after that it was moments of individual brilliance, rather than intricate play, that allowed us to score.

For whatever reason, after we score we seem to struggle to play fluidly. We slow the game down more than we should and get sloppy in the final third. The "killer instinct" that some people mentioned is playing the same as we did in the first 15 minutes of this match throughout at least 75% of the match, regardless of what the score is. I'm pretty sure that's what Ange wants too, but we're not there yet.
Will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

I think periods of controlled possession is fine. And across a game it's useful to vary our intensity a bit to avoid exhaustion. The important part for me is that we continue to be a threat and that we manage to get out of that "controlled possession" state into quick tempo when the opportunity arises.

Positives:

Negatives

Questions

City have made mistakes in their first two games … they concede to Ipswich yesterday and there were several mistakes in that goal
I can get you a video now or Saliba making mistakes last week that should have cost them a goal

I thought Kulusevski had a good game yesterday. Completed a lot of good dribbles and progressed the ball for us on several occasions. He also, as always, works his socks off to do a job defensively. I really hope we find a way to play him more down the middle this season.

This was the 1st home game of the seasons I've missed for over 30 odd years and the 1st my grandson went without me or his dad. He enjoyed the experience as he went with a mate the only downside was using public transport and that the same miserable moaning idiots are sitting behind him, one of the contributing factors to me no longer attending games, why do people go to events they obviously get no enjoyment out of it?

Last edited:
Back