• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

careful now....people will start asking you to weight the opposition and break down the stats to the cut of the grass

nah only joking..the record isnt bad , i just question everything he does in portugal cause it was the stand out best team in portugal in a pretty weak league if you get me meaning
To be fair to him Porto had been also-rans in the league the past couple of seasons before AVB took over, and they sold 2 of their best players in Bruno Alves and Meireles that summer, but he still managed to have an incredible season going unbeaten in the league and winning a treble. Admittedly it is a weaker league but its still impressive...

careful now....people will start asking you to weight the opposition and break down the stats to the cut of the grass

nah only joking..the record isnt bad , i just question everything he does in portugal cause it was the stand out best team in portugal in a pretty weak league if you get me meaning

It was an impressive season, no doubt. But I agree with you. I didn't see anyone clambering for Neil Lennon to replace Redknapp for example, and we are talking about a similar situation.

Some say that AVB inherited a terrible Porto side and turned them around. The season before he took over they finished 3rd, having won 21 out of their 30 matches! They only lost 4 league games all season, and won the domestic up. The fact that winning 21 out of 30 constitutes as a disasterous season says it all to me about that league!

Also prior to the that "disaster" they had won the league four years on the bounce. Bottom line is people who claim AVB turned it all around at Porto and that Porto were in decline are some way off the mark IMO.

Gareth Bale could be banned for playing for Tottenham while the Olympics are on - but only if the FA lodges an official complaint.

Bale was included in Stuart Pearce's Great Britain squad for the Olympics but was withdrawn due to injury.

However, the Welshman played for Spurs on Tuesday night and scored in a pre-season friendly against Los Angeles Galaxy in California.

The FA and British Olympic Association have not commented on Bale's appearance, but FIFA president Sepp Blatter said if there was an official complaint to FIFA then the 23-year-old could be banned for playing again for Spurs - even in friendlies - until August 12.

The world governing body would have to judge that the club had not released him - Spurs would argue Bale only returned to fitness this week. Asked about Bale, Blatter said: "The principle is that if a club does not release a player then this association can come to FIFA and we will then ban this player during the duration of the Olympics.

"So far nobody came to FIFA to say we should, but it is a possibility we could ban these players if they are not at the disposal of the national team.

"They (the association) complain and then we say let this player go or he cannot play for the club.

"FIFA's position has never been so clear than it is now for the Olympics 2012 and 2016."

Blatter admitted that some countries such as Switzerland had not insisted on clubs releasing players but that all were entitled to.

Gareth Bale could be banned for playing for Tottenham while the Olympics are on - but only if the FA lodges an official complaint.

Bale was included in Stuart Pearce's Great Britain squad for the Olympics but was withdrawn due to injury.

However, the Welshman played for Spurs on Tuesday night and scored in a pre-season friendly against Los Angeles Galaxy in California.

The FA and British Olympic Association have not commented on Bale's appearance, but FIFA president Sepp Blatter said if there was an official complaint to FIFA then the 23-year-old could be banned for playing again for Spurs - even in friendlies - until August 12.

The world governing body would have to judge that the club had not released him - Spurs would argue Bale only returned to fitness this week. Asked about Bale, Blatter said: "The principle is that if a club does not release a player then this association can come to FIFA and we will then ban this player during the duration of the Olympics.

"So far nobody came to FIFA to say we should, but it is a possibility we could ban these players if they are not at the disposal of the national team.

"They (the association) complain and then we say let this player go or he cannot play for the club.

"FIFA's position has never been so clear than it is now for the Olympics 2012 and 2016."

Blatter admitted that some countries such as Switzerland had not insisted on clubs releasing players but that all were entitled to.

Can't see it happening tbh, the 'top clubs' do it all the time, this would set a dangerous precedent for them.

With the world of brown envelopes focused on the Olympics. Blatter has some time on his hands ....

London 2012: Sepp Blatter warns Gareth Bale could be banned

• FA would have to complain to Fifa over friendly appearance
• Tottenham winger pulled out of Team GB squad with injury

Press Association
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 July 2012 13.05 BST

Fifa's president Sepp Blatter has said that Gareth Bale could be banned from playing for Tottenham Hotspur during the Olympics, but only if the Football Association lodges an official complaint.

Bale withdrew from Stuart Pearce's Team GB men's football Olympic squad due to injury, but the Welshman played and scored in a pre-season friendly against LA Galaxy in California on Wednesday morning.

The FA and British Olympic Association have not commented on Bale's appearance, but Blatter said if there was an official complaint to Fifa then the 23-year-old could be banned for playing for Spurs – even in friendlies – until 12 August.

"The principle is that if a club does not release a player then this association can come to Fifa and we will then ban this player during the duration of the Olympics," said Blatter. "So far nobody came to Fifa to say we should, but it is a possibility we could ban these players if they are not at the disposal of the national team.

"They [the association] complain and then we say let this player go or he cannot play for the club. Fifa's position has never been so clear than it is now for the Olympics 2012 and 2016."

Fifa would have to judge that the club had not released him, but Spurs would argue Bale only returned to fitness this week. Blatter admitted that some countries – such as Switzerland – had not insisted on clubs releasing players but that all were entitled to do so.

A bit of a non-issue. Bale wasn't actually picked for the final Olympic squad so he wasn't available for the Team GB preparations. Playing a friendly is hardly the same as being match fit for a tournament. The same could be said of Walker. I also suspect both would have wanted to play if fully fit.

With the world of brown envelopes focused on the Olympics. Blatter has some time on his hands ....

A bit of a non-issue. Bale wasn't actually picked for the final Olympic squad so he wasn't available for the Team GB preparations. Playing a friendly is hardly the same as being match fit for a tournament. The same could be said of Walker. I also suspect both would have wanted to play if fully fit.

Totally agree.

To participate in the Olympics he would have had to be fully fit now and fit enough to train with the team weeks ago.

Lol that whole story is fudging crap.

Yes fair enough he played a match a few days before the Olympics will start, but why does everyone fail to mention the difference in playing a pre-season friendly and playing at full pelt for a tournament. I think there clearly was a back injury, and if he played in the Olympics he would have risked aggrevating it. Far better to have it managed carefully by the club staff.

To add to that, surely Fifa have limited control over the events anyway.

If he was not injured, then he refused to turn up for who?

'Team GB'

last i noticed there was no recognised 'Team GB' on Fifa's role call.

'Team GB'

They are not, but I can see them sitting there foaming at the mouth waiting for the FA to report him for it.

What's with some of you throwing a fit over the fact that those of us that watched the match posted about what was happening on the pitch. Nobody has called for AVB's head or suggested that we're going to have a terrible season. Things weren't working well and it's only natural that people comment on that.

What's with some of you throwing a fit over the fact that those of us that watched the match posted about what was happening on the pitch. Nobody has called for AVB's head or suggested that we're going to have a terrible season. Things weren't working well and it's only natural that people comment on that.

yeah man =D>

'Team GB'

I think the FIFA regulations require eligible players to turn up for the Olympic tournament. So Olympic matches are like other internationals except only for U23 players. Clubs are allowed to refuse permission for the overage players. So it makes sense that FIFA would administer a ban.

However, Pearce hasn't complained and Bale was injured at the time of the squad announcement. Its just Blatter being Blatter.

I think the FIFA regulations require eligible players to turn up for the Olympic tournament. So Olympic matches are like other internationals except only for U23 players. Clubs are allowed to refuse permission for the overage players. So it makes sense that FIFA would administer a ban.

However, Pearce hasn't complained and Bale was injured at the time of the squad announcement. Its just Blatter being Blatter.

Is it the FA or FAW that would have to make a complaint?

Is it the FA or FAW that would have to make a complaint?

Don't know, but I can't see why anyone other than Team GB should have any right to complain. Complaints are by the the national team when denied a player by the clubs. So Pearce would have to complain and presumably it would be formally from the British Olympic Association. The home Olympic Committee wouldn't want bad publicity as the Olympics begin.

There was no pressing last night. There didn't seem to be any hallmarks of avb at all yet. Cudicini playing hoofball constantly. Kaboul and Vertonghen played with a 50 yard gap between them. More comical corners from last season with 3 only men in the box. And Jenas and Livermore being dominated in midfield.

But fudge it, it was only a run out. It was great to see Huddlestone and Carroll change the game when they came on.

Back