• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

I think if you play a defensive system, you will probably look defensively organised for the most part if it's not working, but will struggle to keep the ball or show any kind of cutting edge in attack. If you play an attacking system, you will probably create a few chances but will look a bit open at the back. Especially if that attacking system relies on fitness, pressing, forcing mistakes etc and it isn't quite there yet for the players.

if your gung ho then yes there would be chaos on the counter if you cant press well and you cant organise yourself. but that requires you to be gung ho, over commit, not press well and not organized quick enough.

Watched absolutely none of it haha, but I'm going from people saying they were worried about us playing a high-line.

I thought it looked more like communication problems than the high line itself that was the issue last night.

Neither Kaboul nor Vert seemed to know who was meant to track the man when he was going to break the line.

After all it's one of the first games Kaboul and Vert have ever played together.

So it's expected and can't be criticised overly. They'll learn by playing with each other.

Watched absolutely none of it haha, but I'm going from people saying they were worried about us playing a high-line.

i dont know if it will be repeated but check it out if you can

in the meantime, brief highlights here

[video]http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/la-galaxy-1-tottenham-1-pre-season-friendly-july-24-2012/[/video]

BOL have you read AVB's new quotes about the Goalkeeper situation?

I have - mentioned them a few pages back on another thread or maybe this one...not too sure.

But basically yes, it seems like I was wrong and you were right, so fair play. There's still time for us to bring another keeper in, but it does seem like he is pretty happy with the options he has right now, so I can admit when I'm wrong. It surprised me and I thought he'd go for something completely different. Unless his quotes are just a ploy to show disinterest to Lyon in order to drive the price down.

I can admit I've been wrong for now, although maybe we should reserve ultimate resolution on it until the end of the transfer window, and we'll really know then what AVB's game was.

[video]http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/la-galaxy-1-tottenham-1-pre-season-friendly-july-24-2012/[/video]

Ah nice one!

Don't know if it's kosher to ask or not, but I guess no-one knows of a full game upload/download link?

I thought it looked more like communication problems than the high line itself that was the issue last night.

Neither Kaboul nor Vert seemed to know who was meant to track the man when he was going to break the line.

After all it's one of the first games Kaboul and Vert have ever played together.

So it's expected and can't be criticised overly. They'll learn by playing with each other.

Kaboul and Vert was something that worried me from the moment people started putting those two together as our starting pairing during the vert rumours.

kaboul has always had others to bail him out and he NEEDS a smarter player beside him....dawson, gallas or king were all great. but if none of those guys are starters then its up to verts to be the head of the partnership and i have no idea how good he is.

some people did call him world class though and said he was fast, so here's hoping

that thing you said about communication and tracking is also noteworthy....... for the more knowledgable .........would playing a high line mean that all runners need to be tracked? isnt the highline meant to be KEPT there? in which case tracking players shouldnt be the frequently occurring norm

Watched the first half then gave up.

What annoyed me is the fact that Carlo seemingly has been stealing a living for the last season or two, been really shaky. Throwing the ball to LA Galaxy players, hoofing it endlessly, mix ups with centre backs....Coupled with the fact that Gomes has also been stealing a living, and our other is 40, our goalkeeping situation is messy. Why isn't Button out there?!?!

Kaboul and Vert was something that worried me from the moment people started putting those two together as our starting pairing during the vert rumours.

kaboul has always had others to bail him out and he NEEDS a smarter player beside him....dawson, gallas or king were all great. but if none of those guys are starters then its up to verts to be the head of the partnership and i have no idea how good he is.

some people did call him world class though and said he was fast, so here's hoping

that thing you said about communication and tracking is also noteworthy....... for the more knowledgable .........would playing a high line mean that all runners need to be tracked? isnt the highline meant to be KEPT there? in which case tracking players shouldnt be the frequently occurring norm

I'd assume it's meant to be kept there most of the time, but that it would be a stupid thing not to track a player back when they think he's going to break the offside trap.

The key (imo) is as has been mentioned before the pressing from the front men and midfield. You simply cannot allow good ball playing defenders and midfielders time to pick a pass when you play a high line.

For Kaboul and Vertonghen it will be all about reading those situations when opponents do get away from pressure and then make good decisions. If the striker is then clearly going offside they can still stay high, but more often than not the right thing to do will be to fall back, get right side of the runner and track him.

"It's not true that i go out looking for a goalkeeper that comes off his line a lot. Yes maybe i instruct them to do so but it's not important and it's not something i think about much".

Ooooh haven't seen that one, so on this point you definitely were 100% right.

Cheers for posting, some nice moments in there. Has Lennon ever struck a ball as hard as he did in the end there? Bale looking fresh, getting into the box and scoring, but also providing chances. Poor by the Sig not to score though. Nice little strike from Townsend in the first half.

You could see us get done by long balls in the first half way too easily, but I think it will be sorted by the time the season starts.

Shame i made it up then really:frown:

I was actually refering to the quote about us not signing a keeper.

:ross: it's actually really funny how you made that quote sound so much like AVB! Like when I was reading it I could totally picture him saying it!

Some peeled comments are funny. Our second preseason friendly in relavely intense heat against a team in full flow and match sharpness and were being slagged off. The first half was a little dodgy but Bassong was atrociously bad, as soon as ekotto came on we looked much more solid. And these things take much more time. Cudicini didn't help matters with his inept in commanding display. Let's see what happens with friedel and even Gomes in goal.

Also don't understand the Kane positive posts, the guys looks awful to me. So slow and cumbersome, he's no more then a championship player and I don't think we should be wasting our time on him personally.

What the match did show was exactly what we do and don't need from avbs system. Bassong, Cudicini, Bentley and jeans need to go ASAP. Not close to good enough. I would also throw Livermore in there, he's solid, I like him, but he doesn't offer much at all.

We missed a DM badly with the highlight, someone deeper, breaking up play better, covering etc. sandro and Parker will provide this so no worries. VDV can only play as the furthest forward midfielder, same with sigg, so them two battle it out for that. We need a modric replacement, let's hope it's mouthino, thudd covering him and Carroll as the 7th midfielder. (or livermore if Carroll can get a prem loan).

We looked so much better when Lennon came on too. Townsend looked pretty good and wouldn't mind him as back up, but we need a quality winger winger back up too. Whether that's remy, or Adrians I don't know. But say remy and Townsend would make me happy. And then we need two strikers. Defoe does not work in this system in any way shape of form. I love the guy, but if this is how we play, get rid of him. Ade and one other is essential as this was the area we looked weakest. Ade and leandro and maybe even a young striker with loads of potential in the same mould.

So mouthino, ade, Leandro, remy and I think we'll have one hell of a squad the players needed to play in this way.

probably best to extend that same obvious reasons of match sharpness being lacking in our team to the players that didnt play well? give them a chance too?

Said it loads of times. Don't know why people get so worked up about pre-season friendlies. It has little to no bearing on what the opening day of the season will be like.

Back