• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Just got home after seeing "Django Unchained". Good movie if it is 30 mins too long but some fantastic performances which you'd expect from a Tarantino film, most notably from Christoph Waltz and Leo di Caprio. Jamie Foxx is very good too, although I am slightly puzzled why he was chosen for the role. However, it would be hard for any actor to steal the scenes that he shares with Waltz, who is just as excellent as he is in Inglorious Bastards. As with IB, there are some scenes that seem to drift away from the main plot for no apparent reason, but all-in-all I enjoyed this more. Tarantino's best movie since Kill Bill 2 IMO.

For me, it colloquialized the disgrace that was slavery in the US for a generation who would otherwise not bother. Tarantino does not skip on the ugliness or brutality, and whilst his films are usually both, here there is the added resonance of knowing this disgraceful brick actually HAPPENED to US blacks. I defy anyone not to feel uneasy at times. It's a disgrace!
The fact that QT dressed it up in a Peckinpah-like nod to the 60s cowboy flick of the same name (minus unchained) is situational.
I thought it was his best film for 15 years. And yes, it was also very, very entertaining!

For me, it colloquialized the disgrace that was slavery in the US for a generation who would otherwise not bother. Tarantino does not skip on the ugliness or brutality, and whilst his films are usually both, here there is the added resonance of knowing this disgraceful brick actually HAPPENED to US blacks. I defy anyone not to feel uneasy at times. It's a disgrace!
The fact that QT dressed it up in a Peckinpah-like nod to the 60s cowboy flick of the same name (minus unchained) is situational.
I thought it was his best film for 15 years. And yes, it was also very, very entertaining!

Yeah, as expected, QT doesn't hold back while portraying the appalling vicousness of slavery. He treats the depiction in a similar way to the Nazi's role in IB, in that he lets the audience get a real glimpse of the horror and ugliness of the subject, and then throws in a good dose of gore and retribution (with the ubiquitous QT soundtrack to boot) to keep the film moving along. I read an interview with QT on NPR's website the other day, and he refereed to this film as a catharsis for the US to really see the injustice and disgrace of the slavery days, but to be able to move on from them. The use of Waltz's character, since he is an outsider to the practice of slavery, helps lift him out of the controversy and lighten the mood, without making him onto some kind of saviour.

I think that QT had a much more definitive idea of how he wanted the story to unfold with this movie than he did with IB, which for me seemed to be a lot of excellent individual scenes that didn't necessarily create a seamless story.

Ok I have downloaded Pitch Perfect - any good? Looks a bit of a Glee type movie.

Or

Five year engagement

Or

Jeff who lives at home

Just got home after seeing "Django Unchained". Good movie if it is 30 mins too long but some fantastic performances which you'd expect from a Tarantino film, most notably from Christoph Waltz and Leo di Caprio. Jamie Foxx is very good too, although I am slightly puzzled why he was chosen for the role. However, it would be hard for any actor to steal the scenes that he shares with Waltz, who is just as excellent as he is in Inglorious Bastards. As with IB, there are some scenes that seem to drift away from the main plot for no apparent reason, but all-in-all I enjoyed this more. Tarantino's best movie since Kill Bill 2 IMO.

Apparently it was originally going to be Will Smith but he was contracted to do MIB3 so he talked up Fox (who he worked with on Ali) to QT.

I can't wait to see this!

I think that QT had a much more definitive idea of how he wanted the story to unfold with this movie than he did with IB, which for me seemed to be a lot of excellent individual scenes that didn't necessarily create a seamless story.

I loved IB when I first saw it. Bought it on Blu-Ray and have probably seen it 4 or 5 times since, and I think I agree with your sentiments somewhat.

For me, take out the actual Basterds, and IB is a masterpiece. Make it a story of the Jew Hunter, the theatre owner, the Nazi hero/actor, and the final revenge act and it's a great stand alone movie. The basterds scenes were all turds (surprise surprise, Brad Pitt ruins what should be a great movie).

That movie is one of the favourites around here and for good reasons, :D

Make sure you watch it, if you haven't seen it before... well if you have seen it before it's good to watch too!!

im watching it now i had it recorded - im sorry but im 20 mins into it AND IT IS fudging brick

Yeah, as expected, QT doesn't hold back while portraying the appalling vicousness of slavery. He treats the depiction in a similar way to the Nazi's role in IB, in that he lets the audience get a real glimpse of the horror and ugliness of the subject, and then throws in a good dose of gore and retribution (with the ubiquitous QT soundtrack to boot) to keep the film moving along. I read an interview with QT on NPR's website the other day, and he refereed to this film as a catharsis for the US to really see the injustice and disgrace of the slavery days, but to be able to move on from them. The use of Waltz's character, since he is an outsider to the practice of slavery, helps lift him out of the controversy and lighten the mood, without making him onto some kind of saviour.

http://www.theroot.com/views/tarantino-unchained-part-1-django-trilogy

" I don't know exactly when I'm going to do it, but there's something about this that would suggest a trilogy. My original idea for Inglourious Basterds way back when was that this [would be] a huge story that included the [smaller] story that you saw in the film, but also followed a bunch of black troops, and they had been f--ked over by the American military and kind of go apes--t. They basically -- the way Lt. Aldo Raines (Brad Pitt) and the Basterds are having an "Apache resistance" -- [the] black troops go on an Apache warpath and kill a bunch of white soldiers and white officers on a military base and are just making a warpath to Switzerland.

So that was always going to be part of it. And I was going to do it as a miniseries, and that was going to be one of the big storylines. When I decided to try to turn it into a movie, that was a section I had to take out to help tame my material. I have most of that written. It's ready to go; I just have to write the second half of it."

Great post and especially agree with the last bit...IB was not as great as it could've been...

im watching it now i had it recorded - im sorry but im 20 mins into it AND IT IS fudging brick

Did you give up on it? I think it's a grower, not a shower of a film. The film gets better as you watch it and the events of the film unfold in front of your eyes. Then again, maybe it's just not for you.

Good movie on tomorrow night.
'Moon' BBC2 @10pm

That movie is one of the favourites around here and for good reasons, :D

Make sure you watch it, if you haven't seen it before... well if you have seen it before it's good to watch too!!

And immediately followed by another sci-fi classic, Blade Runner: The Final Cut, which I'm surprised to see is available on the iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00plcmt/Blade_Runner/

Did you give up on it? I think it's a grower, not a shower of a film. The film gets better as you watch it and the events of the film unfold in front of your eyes. Then again, maybe it's just not for you.

I wouldnt say give up more like after 45 mins I skipped to the end. not sure what happened in between and ultimately I got confused by it all. Wanna summarise it for me? pm me so not to spoil it - although not sure how you can spoil that shower of brickness.

Back