• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

a win in spite of ade is better than a loss that's greatly contributed to by one of the most limited footballers i've ever seen wear a spurs shirt.

That's fine. But whenever you ask him if his goal tally this year or performances have been good enough, he simply gives the same response EVERY TIME: "Let's see how Ade has contributed to team success recently." He never goes into detail as to what (if anything) he did right and what areas he didn't do well in. If you say to him "shouldn't Ade be scoring chances like the two sitters against West Ham?" He'll give you the same response as above.

It doesn't matter to him that we might be better off at least trying a different striker out and seeing if he can contribute goals AND we still win. He could give us 0 out of 10 performances and he would still find a way to make it look like Ade played great.

JD has never been a 20-a-season striker. His purple patch at the start of the season was always going to be following by extended drought. I was hoping for 15 from him this season. that is still possible but had hoped we would either sign another striker in January or Ade would get close to or into double figures.

Thought JD was incredibly rusty and out of sync with the team on thursday when lots said he was great and thought he just didn't show yesterday at all. But think a lot of the vitriol against him now is a)cos we lost & b) cos he had looked a step up on himself for the first half of the season that people have forgotten what his 'typical' level is.

Indeed. In fact he's only ever hit 20 (even in all comps) twice in his 14 year career. Other than that season when he got 10 in 3 games (the Wigan game etc), his highest league total is still 13.

At least his improving anyway - wasn't that his first assist of the season for Liverpool's winner?

Indeed. In fact he's only ever hit 20 (even in all comps) twice in his 14 year career. Other than that season when he got 10 in 3 games (the Wigan game etc), his highest league total is still 13.

At least his improving anyway - wasn't that his first assist of the season for Liverpool's winner?

Ade has only hit 20 league goals once.

Neither of them are good unfortunately.

Ade has only hit 20 league goals once.

Neither of them are good unfortunately.

I think the point is Defoe, primarily having a reputation as a 'goalscorer', should be hitting 20 a season or at least coming close with some regularity (if he is the top class striker we need). Adebayor comes with no such reputation and thus it doesn't matter as much as to whether he is scoring THAT many goals with THAT much regularity, because he helps others score instead. Obviously 3 goals all season is crap but still!

(But yes, neither of them are good enough - 3rd plus Cavani please!)

I think it is time we all question if either Ade or Defoe are good enough for where we want to go in the long run, I really have my doubts

I think it is time we all question if either Ade or Defoe are good enough for where we want to go in the long run, I really have my doubts

Defoe does not have the ability.
Ade does not have the honour.
They have both been a massive disappointment this season.

Time to question? The 2 have scored 5 goals between them in the past 22 games!

Very disappointed in both of them this season tbh and in both AVB and Levy for going into a season with 2 strikers.

Defoe should be at best 2nd choice for where we want to be. Adebayor can be 1st choice when he's up for it/fit/insert reason why you think he's been crap this season but considering he seems to do this on a regular basis, it was risky banking on him as 1st choice all season.

taco cost us a point yesterday. You don't pass back into your own area at chest height like that.

QUOTE=Roy1983;323925]taco cost us a point yesterday. You don't pass back into your own area at chest height like that.[/QUOTE]

A while back I said Defoe had not improved at all over the last ten years and got slated for it, he has always been brain dead, two good feet, good pace but no brain, shame.

taco cost us a point yesterday. You don't pass back into your own area at chest height like that.

If you look at Defoe's body movement during that incident, I think Defoe was trying to kick the ball overhead but his touch was very poor that he ended up passing the ball forward instead.

If you look at Defoe's body movement during that incident, I think Defoe was trying to kick the ball overhead but his touch was very poor that he ended up passing the ball forward instead.

He should try that in the opponent's box - i.e. clear the ball back - might just hit the target

Agreed. Looked like it came off his toe.

Defoe has always been a streaky goal scorer who hits a purple patch once a season when he looks like a top notch forward (as opposed to Adebayor who has one good season per club) but invariably sinks back to an average of 1 goal every other game. Even after his promising start to the season when it looked like he had evolved into more of a team player JD's still only averaging 15 passes per game this season; compared to 22 for Adebayor, 25 for Ba, 27 for RvP, 36 for Suarez and 47 for Berbatov. Hence why we've never had to fend off bids from the likes of ManU and Real Madrid for Defoe.

If we're ever going to narrow the gap on ManU then it is going to require either our scouts finding another hidden gem like Berbatov / Ba or Levy splashing out £20m+ on a more recognised forward player like an Aguerro / Drogba / Suarez / RvP. Fingers crossed we can afford to do so before the new stadium is up and running.

Back